• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Went to pair my HRM to the Sufferfest app after replacing the battery (HRM worked on Sunday's ride, but won't turn on now), and ended up doing an easy recovery spin at 98w for 30 min, 7 "miles". Showered and hopped into bed. Slept like a baby.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I do my Peloton rides, I sit at 175w for what I consider a Zone 2 effort. I have read that the Peloton wattage can be waaay off depending on calibration so I wonder if my 175w is really close to that?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I do my Peloton rides, I sit at 175w for what I consider a Zone 2 effort. I have read that the Peloton wattage can be waaay off depending on calibration so I wonder if my 175w is really close to that?
My left-side power meter was reading 80-85w for most of the time that the Kickr was reporting 98w. I have moved the Kickr since the initial spindown calibration, and I didn't calibrate the power meter, so I guess that might account for the discrepancy. That said, every single time I've calibrated my power meter, it's had the same offset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 mile (!) ride (!) this morning in about 50 minutes or so. first time on the bike in probably 8 years or more. took some reacquainting but didn't feel too uncomfortable. riding around the city area will take some reacquainting as well ha. all in all, not terrible!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a late start this morning but still got out there for 8.1 miles. My goal was to go run around the lake on the campus of a local boarding/day school and then up a couple of the tough hills there. When I was finishing up my second lap around the lake I realized it was a lot later than I figured because I saw a bunch of kids trekking through the woods and along one of the trails with their backpacks going from the dorms to the classrooms. I don't think I had ever actually seen the students out there while on a morning run.

The kids were going up the trail with the hill I really wanted to do so I skipped that and decided to head to one further south. I got to the base of the other hill trail and saw it was closed off with caution tape and there ware a couple massive tree trunks and root systems being held up by some pretty small and spindly trees and hanging precariously over the trail. I probably could have gotten past/around them safely but it looked like the maintenance crew would be back any second to start cutting them down so I went through the woods on a much easier, but more scenic trail.

This morning's run put me past 2,000 miles for the year - I'm now at 2,005.1. 2,020 miles is my goal for the year and I should pass that up tomorrow (if I get back out for a second run tonight like I'd like to) or Thursday morning.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a late start this morning but still got out there for 8.1 miles. My goal was to go run around the lake on the campus of a local boarding/day school and then up a couple of the tough hills there. When I was finishing up my second lap around the lake I realized it was a lot later than I figured because I saw a bunch of kids trekking through the woods and along one of the trails with their backpacks going from the dorms to the classrooms. I don't think I had ever actually seen the students out there while on a morning run.

The kids were going up the trail with the hill I really wanted to do so I skipped that and decided to head to one further south. I got to the base of the other hill trail and saw it was closed off with caution tape and there ware a couple massive tree trunks and root systems being held up by some pretty small and spindly trees and hanging precariously over the trail. I probably could have gotten past/around them safely but it looked like the maintenance crew would be back any second to start cutting them down so I went through the woods on a much easier, but more scenic trail.

This morning's run put me past 2,000 miles for the year - I'm now at 2,005.1. 2,020 miles is my goal for the year and I should pass that up tomorrow (if I get back out for a second run tonight like I'd like to) or Thursday morning.
Any campus with a lake, must be a very nice campus.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.3 miles this morning.

The temperature was about 25º but I had new running tights from TrackSmith that my wife bought me for my birthday. They are pretty lightweight but they're lightly lined - very comfortable and they kept me surprisingly warm for the weight. My overall pace was 7:55/mile. I was listening to music and I'd run one song relatively slow and then try to speed up to just faster than 10k pace for the next song and then keep alternating that pattern. Sometimes I like doing this better than running specific distances or times for my intervals because it keeps things a little more random since the song length in my playlist can vary significantly.

Any campus with a lake, must be a very nice campus.

Here's a link to the campus in question: https://www.cranbrook.edu/

It is quite nice and is my favorite place to run that I can make it to from my house, without needing to get in a car. I like to sing its praises to anybody visiting the Detroit area and looking for something to do or somewhere to visit that might be a little less touristy.

The school was founded about a hundred years ago on the grounds of the estate of a local newspaper baron from the gilded age.

Besides k-12 facilities, the campus also has a world-renowned graduate level art and architecture program. Many of the buildings on the campus were designed by Eliel Saarinen, who lived there for years and years. Most of the older, original buildings were designed by Albert Kahn, a locally famous architect who worked primarily in the Arts and Crafts style, who also designed quite a few residences that surround the campus. I believe he also designed the outdoor theatre and the playhouse that are in the gardens as well. Decades later, the gardens and some of the school buildings received updates by the firm of Minoru Yamasaki, who also designed the World Trade Center (that's probably his most well-known work, but it was sort of boring compared to many of the houses, smaller commercial and institutional buildings, and landscapes they designed). This sounds like a pretty bad mishmash of styles but they've been put together very nicely so it works.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.25 miles last night at 7:55 pace last night after the ride in the morning, and 3.67 miles this afternoon at 7:45 pace, including our "big hill" in town, which is only like 150ft climb but gets the job done. today was cold. 35F with a 15mph north wind.

The temperature was about 25º but I had new running tights from TrackSmith that my wife bought me for my birthday. They are pretty lightweight but they're lightly lined - very comfortable and they kept me surprisingly warm for the weight.

the turnover tights? i have two pairs and they are fantastic for winter running. at least down to the single digits F, we don't get much colder than that around here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the turnover tights? i have two pairs and they are fantastic for winter running. at least down to the single digits F, we don't get much colder than that around here.

Those are the ones!

Good to hear that they work well down into the single digits because we do get days like that here - Facebook reminded me that on this day in 2014 it was 12º when I went out for a 12 mile run!

I haven't found any tights that are comfortable on their own once it gets below about 5º F. Below that and I need to double up with tights or long johns under some thermal jogging pants.

Reactions: kjb

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bike update, i've had to replace a few things to get up and riding again, since all my old gear basically sat static for 8+ years.

- my old helmet had the interior foam complete disintegrate after years of nonuse, so a new one was in order.
- i lost my old riding gloves so new pair of those
- my old shoes were always a bit big, but i got them on a severe discount so i made it work. plus i used them for spin for a while and the screws for those delta cleats seized so some new shoes, a bit better and the proper size.
5DD54C54-595F-4857-AAF9-18B0FD705824.jpeg
- a proper bib and jersey are on the way as well so I don’t have to use my running stuff again ha.

i still need some minor work on the bike. rear break needs to be tightened a bit, rear derailleur still sometimes seizes, and an overall fitting is needed as i'm a bit uncomfortable up front on the handlebars (hands went a bit numb on my first ride, i feel like i'm stretched too far, maybe a shorter stem...). but i'm looking forward to rides more and more though.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did my hill repeat / strength XC laps today in between online meetings: 5 x 1.4km = 7km (4 1/3 miles), in 30:34, that's 4:22/km (7:01/mile) pace. I just accidentally deleted my lap times, but they were something along the lines of 5:55 / 6:05 / 6:10 / 6:11 / 6:12, in other words I was a little over-enthusiastic at the start.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 hilly trail miles at a place I haven’t run for at least a year. I did a three mile loop on the trails behind me in the pic, as well as a mile out and back north from the trailhead. Temps in the low 70s.

4DD3D250-8C8C-4D9A-865F-73099A45989F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads