• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeez, I’m glad I wasn’t planning to run this evening. This is the worst air quality I’ve ever experienced. Fortunately, I was out to the hardware store and Post Office. We live closest to the 560 reading.

6C14D9CE-156D-40F3-B087-392FA1814C15.jpeg

FC164DD3-EDB2-49F8-BDD6-D3748414E774.png

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The company has instituted monthly wellness days. I got up and out of the house early and did the same loop as Wednesday, but went around the Embarcadero on the way home. 34 miles.

I was clearly tired and not fully aware of my surroundings by the end of the ride. I went through an intersection thinking I had the green and I guess it must have changed either right before or right after I entered it. Almost got broadsided by a pickup. Scary.

E07FBCC4-8FBE-421C-BC59-D62ADDBE4FC4.jpeg
DCBA19EE-86C7-4938-8D2F-1F8517AE0861.jpeg

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The company has instituted monthly wellness days. I got up and out of the house early and did the same loop as Wednesday, but went around the Embarcadero on the way home. 34 miles.

I was clearly tired and not fully aware of my surroundings by the end of the ride. I went through an intersection thinking I had the green and I guess it must have changed either right before or right after I entered it. Almost got broadsided by a pickup. Scary.

View attachment 1478731View attachment 1478732
Like the beginning of the story, but not the ending. Glad you made it unscathed.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16.6km (10 1/3 mile) easy pace today in 1:28:42, that's 5:21/km (8:36/mile) pace, just about what I as aiming for. It was very windy out there and it didn't feel very easy...
Hey FM, is your island flat or are there hills and such? I am impressed by your times and feel like a slow old dude when I see what you post.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey FM, is your island flat or are there hills and such? I am impressed by your times and feel like a slow old dude when I see what you post.
Pretty flat, although most of my routes are what you might charitably call 'rolling'. This run went over the highest point on the island and had two 'hills' done both ways... totalling just 70m (230ft) ascent. My 24.4km last weekend had even less, just one 'hill' done in both directions for 54m (177ft) ascent. So not a lot! There are some short steep slopes I can do hill climbing repeats on though.

The thing is that I actually prefer proper hills / mountains. But that's not what I've got round here.

And you've got to remember that I'm deliberately trying to work towards a faster 'new normal' for me. I figure it's my last chance in the next couple of years before I hit 50...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
1602953989598.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 miles with the dogs, before Armageddon descends upon us. I drove back out to take some pics (the pic is from the 3.5 mile mark of my run, though the smoke plume had move a couple miles further south in the 45 minutes or so after I ran by). Temps in the upper 60s, with clean air for now.

6335714F-5136-43F8-A431-702DD58DD4FF.jpeg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Is that a brush fire?

We had a fire in the neighborhood yesterday, a 7,000 sqft house went up in flames around dinner time. My youngest and I were outside playing in the driveway and we heard a steady drone of sirens and she said she could smell s’mores (which meant she could smell a fire). We walked around a couple blocks to try and sniff out the fire but never found it. I never thought to put the sirens together with the smell but when we were getting ready to go back inside I could see the black smoke billowing up above the trees.

A friend who lives on the same road as the fire sent me some video. The house was a total loss. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I did manage to get in 11.8 miles this morning. I intended to go past the scene of the fire but forgot all about it. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Beautiful day for a Tri-County ride: SF to Marin to San Mateo. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on a sunny Saturday morning is no joke: it’s like riding in a two-way peloton on a narrow street.

14C346D4-17BB-44B7-9BC9-AD274118AD02.jpeg

@sugarbutch I finally took the plunge and switched from my crappy free app to Strava.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I started with Strava from the start. It was the Wahoo that made me do it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s hard to decide which is more challenging. Share the east sidewalk with pedestrians on a weekday? Or Saturday morning with only bikes, squeezing through the narrowed sections where the net and railing construction is ongoing?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I started with Strava from the start. It was the Wahoo that made me do it.
I started with the Polar app because i couldn’t get my Polar HRM to show up reliably for other apps on my phone. After getting laid off in 2018 and starting to ride with other, more serious cyclists, I migrated to Strava on my phone. After some longer rides which left me at the edge of battery life, I moved over to the Wahoo.

That also cleaned up the look of my handlebars because I could put my phone in my pocket. Ironically, now that I ride solo all the time (thanks, Obama), I added a phone mount again to make it easier to manage the podcast app. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The Trek "Blendr" thing and my Wahoo mount make the front of my bike look really clean. I should snap a pic. Also talking myself out of spending money on an aftermarket Wahoo mount.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's