• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9.2 miles this morning:

A mile+ slow to the track; ten 1.00 km intervals a bit faster than my 10k pace (each followed by 10 dips, 10 crunches, 10 leg lifts, 10 squats, 10 push-ups) and then another mile+ home.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Could not shake my butt out of bed early enough. I have a 12 hour day scheduled at work and the old body just was not willing. :(

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The morning temperatures have dropped dramtically around here, and with it my times. On Saturday, I ran my 5.5 mile loop thats relatively hilly with the biggest hill in the last mile, a minute a mile faster than my typical pace. Pretty astounding and confirms how debilitating the heat is for me in terms of performance.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4.3 miles this morning - my shortest run in a while. Like @bdavro23 above me, the temps have dropped, making things much more comfortable, but soon they'll drop some more to the point where I need to break out the tights.

I usually stick with shorts until the temps are below about 30º F because a) my legs never seem to get that cold (and I can always put on some warm compression calf sleeves) and b) most of the tights I've tried become uncomfortable and start to chafe especially uncomfortably up in the crotch on runs of longer than 6 or 7 miles. The best ones I've tried are some from Under Armor, but they are baggier like sweatpants and I'd rather find some actual tights. Anybody have some recommendations? Bonus points for ones that are thermal or fleece lined so I can continue running when temps drop below about -10º F.

kjb

Reaction score
8.1 miles last night. felt really really good. 8:30 on the first 5 miles, 7:45 on the back 5K with the club. temps were around 60 (but creeping up over the next few days).

there is a cross country series another club in NJ puts on annually and it's going forward this year at reduced capacity (max 50 people though it was never more than that in the past) and staggered starts. super low key, $7 sign up, 5k(ish) courses and popsicle sticks to determine places haha. happens every saturday at a different park. i'm definitely not in race shape but i signed up, it'll be fun to do.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7.6 miles last night which was my usual loop with 3 hills repeats. Based on my calc, the hill gives me about 75ft of gain/loss per 0.2 mile or 375ft per mile. Not bad considering my park loop is roughly 200ft. per mile. The new neighborhood has a big hill but over a longer distance so interested to try some repeats out on that.

As for tights, I have run in Ascics tights after my wife got me a few pairs. I can't recall my longest runs in them but the usual 7 miler is not uncomfortable. I guess it depends on how much your legs rub together while moving.

kjb

Reaction score
4.3 miles this morning - my shortest run in a while. Like @bdavro23 above me, the temps have dropped, making things much more comfortable, but soon they'll drop some more to the point where I need to break out the tights.

I usually stick with shorts until the temps are below about 30º F because a) my legs never seem to get that cold (and I can always put on some warm compression calf sleeves) and b) most of the tights I've tried become uncomfortable and start to chafe especially uncomfortably up in the crotch on runs of longer than 6 or 7 miles. The best ones I've tried are some from Under Armor, but they are baggier like sweatpants and I'd rather find some actual tights. Anybody have some recommendations? Bonus points for ones that are thermal or fleece lined so I can continue running when temps drop below about -10º F.
i would say the turnover tights from tracksmith are a solid choice and i find them to be extremely comfortable and nonrestrictive but it frankly doesn't ever get colder than 0F here so i cannot speak to their usefulness in super cold weather. i think tracksmith had a heftier model but they're not on the site anymore and they normally don't get released until sometime in january with the winter collection.

i had a pair of nike tights a while back with a wind shield on the legs (i can't find them anymore) that were incredibly warm, so much so that i couldn't wear them most winter days because they were too much ha. if you can find something like that they might work really well for you.

i find a pair of compression briefs or shorts work really well under a pair of tights to help with the chaffing.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two pairs of compression tights (Sugoi and Linebreak) that are fine for temps into the upper teens. When the weather gets cold, I have a pair of Smartwool tights that are great. I’ve used them down close to 0. This is supposed to be a cold winter, so let’s get this party started.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to run in a pair of Asics 3/4 length tights at this time of year. I have some compression tights too, but I rarely use them. I have a pair of full length warmer tights for winter.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check some of these out. I've heard good things now from a few different people about the TrackSmith tights so that's a good sign.

And I like the suggestion from @kjb about wearing some compression briefs under whatever tights I go with. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

bensm1th

Reaction score
3 miles today in 90 degree weather, which is kind of cool for Vegas right now. It's usually been 95-100 at this time of day. I am just getting back into running. About 8 years ago I was running 40 miles a week. I'll never do that again, but I want to get back to 25 miles a week and an 8:30 pace.

freehand

Reaction score
Back to school cold is screwing with my plans. Pesky kids. 2 rest days now and likely a third tomorrow.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Second the suggestion to wear compression shorts under the tights.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's