• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

freehand

Reaction score
Easy 5 miles yesterday with a few hill repeats in the middle just to mix it up. Today was a quicker 7 miles at 8:10 pace. Felt great. Trying to arrange a long run this weekend or next, a marathon length trail run. Can’t wait. I’m in SW England; it’s odd to hear about the high temps and humidity - we had our summer in May and it’s barely stopped raining for the last few weeks.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've summed up the area perfectly...

I'm familiar with your company, though not an alum. I dont think I could pass the personality test :)

I have lived other places, but I grew up here and am biased. My wife on the other hand has lived in 12 cities and loves Cincinnati, and especially our neighborhood. She says she'd love to move back to LA to be near the beach, but everytime we go visit shes reminded that its a terrible place to actually live.

I would probably move back to England if I got the chance, but my wife would miss me since she wouldnt live there! New Zealand is probably our compromise.

When the 'Rona is over, we'll have to get together. I think we might be the only two people on SF in the area...
I like how the antipodes, not even remotely near the locales in consideration and at absolute best vaguely culturally resemble either LA or England is the compromise :D

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9.1 miles this morning. Today's run bumped me up over 1,000 miles for the year (1,000.3 miles to be exact). This is the earliest in the year that I've ever reached 1,000 miles.

It was another hot, muggy, sweaty mess of a run. There was some rain on the horizon for later this morning or early afternoon but looking at the radar it appears it's fizzling out before it actually reaches this side of the state. Once I got home and was sitting outside to cool down, I did notice a sudden, but slight, drop in the humidity and heat so even if the rain doesn't reach us, maybe there will at least be some more pleasant weather.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 7 miles this morning. Another great morning to run. About 60 and virtually no humidity.

I decided to end with a mile kick which I paced in at 5:49 for mile 7. Given that I don't have a true race coming up any time soon I have been ignoring speed work, and I could feel it on that kick.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has told me I can't run today unless and until the thermometer drops below 30ºC (86ºF) - it's currently nudging 36ºC (97ºF)
I'd listen to her. There were several times yesterday where I was feeling pretty lightheaded and have to stop and rest for a couple of minutes before walking back to the starting point.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bdavro23 Sounds good man. If it makes you feel any better, I don’t have the rone. I’ve been tested 4 separate times now since March for precautionary compliance. We don’t have any family anywhere close and my overall concern couldn’t be lower. Just drop me a line if you ever want to meet up for a jog.

————

Feeling like I’m finally get used to the heat. 4 miles tonight in progressive splits, 7:45, 7:27, 6:58, 6:23. Really like how smooth the faster paces are flowing.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rain has been absolutely hammering down here since about 3 in the morning. I will go out later when it gets a bit less intense because the temperature has really dropped, plus I like running in the rain (I'm British, what can I say?).

Anyway, was looking at reviews in European running publications (because the North American ones really don't often cover some companies from Europe that often) and I found this Swedish company called Salming that hasn't been around that long, but which seems to be really highly rated. They have started to sell in North America now, and so I checked and they had a few of previous years' models on sale. I picked up a Trail 5:

iu

And also their easy distance road shoe, the EnRoute 2, because I'll need something to replace the Brooks Ghosts, which I've decided are not for me (too much drop) and which will be finished by the end of this year anyway:

salming-enroute-2-men-safety-yellow-poseidon-blue.jpg

The thing about these for me is that they are both 6mm drop (the perfect range for me), and the footshape seems to be exactly what I like. They also have a system for ensuring fit that's a bit like Salomon's. Anyway, it's a bit of a gamble but at under $90 US each in their sale, it's not an expensive one. So we'll see...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.1/5k on the roads back home. You’d think being back down to my normal altitude would make the run feel easier, but I’m tired from three nights of camping, so I took it super easy. I also cracked the callused skin on my right big toe, so I’m going to need to baby that for a while.

Temps into the upper 70s.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in 8 miles this morning. Temps were already pushing 90 degrees. I took my two boys, ages 6 and 4, out on the run. My oldest was on his bike and youngest was on a strider bike. Proud that each of them grinded it out in the heat. Particularly the 4 year old because we went up some solid hills and those strider bikes require some effort. Pace came in at a slow and steady 9:38/mile.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got in 9.8 miles before lunch. It was going to be an out and back for 11.0miles. Outbound was 5.5 in ~45min so I figured I could turn it around and beat that back. Well the heat decided it would fight back and the brutal run on paved trail was at least half in the sun. At 4.3miles on the way back I knew I needed to walk it in to survive. Temps were in the 80s with some sort of humidity as well.
Now I blame y’all for trying this since you speed demons post times. My pace out was 8:13/min mile then the back was clocking in at 7:44/min mile.
Time to relax around the house before family pictures.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got out eventually, and of course the rain stopped immediately and it started to heat up again so it was like running in a sauna as all the water evaporated. Luckily I was only doing a relatively short tempo today: 8.2km (just over 5 miles) in 35:01 or 4:16/km, which was my pace aim exactly.

Incidentally, this is the last time I'm going to want to run this route as an out-and-back. Our ferry will be moving to the winter dock (my turnaround point) from next week and will operate from there for the next up to 3 years, as a massive new dock is built in the village to accommodate the new electric ferry that's on its way. It means that there will queues of traffic and people driving too fast both ways on a narrow road.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics