• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was about to go on a run but decided to do 2 Peloton classes instead and set a PR on one. The Sahara Dust made its way to Nashville and the only way to explain it is that the air looks like those smog pictures of LA. Even somewhat down low the air looks dust filled so instead of battling heat with a face shield I stayed inside.

Tomorrow may be another bike day unless the rain we are suppose to get helps out.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
57 miles today. My plan was to ride up Mt. Tam via the Old Railroad Grade trail. I had a brain fart and went the wrong way north of Sausalito. I used my pocket computer to find a fire road through the Camino Alto preserve, and hooboy, it was ******* steep. A good amount of hike-a-bike in the first mile off-road but eventually found my way up and over to the start of the intended trail. Got more than 4000 ft in about 15 miles. Coincidentally bumped into the guy I first rode Tam with at the East Peak picnic area. It was his third Tam ascent this week.

Anyway, some pictures:

These two guys were everesting on Camino Alto
A452B7F4-8143-4888-8279-64C7DB5369C8.jpeg
18E633B4-A55F-4935-8E3D-DB14DC0A2DC6.jpeg

Mt. Tam
8D3893A3-EEE8-4F99-BED4-B3400BB595E9.jpeg
235EB067-61CD-45C8-9670-C9EEF44FE456.jpeg

San Francisco is somewhere under that marine layer
6A927397-2831-4F72-921C-E38300C8F309.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.5 trail miles around my local wildlife sanctuary. My older son woke up screaming at about 4:45, so I got up early. It was nice to get out early to avoid the heat. Temps were in the upper 50s, with a forecast high of 89.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14.5 miles this morning. The humidity was still sticking around, but it wasn’t quite as bad as yesterday. I’m jealous of you guys in areas with some hills and mountains. I didn’t even get 200’ worth of climb in this morning’s long run!

As it stands right now, I’ve ended the week with 77.8 miles. I’m tempted to get back out there this evening after dinner for a quick lap around the neighborhood to put me up over 80.0!

I have also lost another 2.2 pounds this past week and am down to 167.0

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very humid today. It was scheduled to be a long run, but nothing too hard. I got out at just after 6am, and after feeding the cat and the chickens, I jogged down to the American ferry. The sun was coming out and it felt hot already. When I got there (10.8km / 6 3/4 miles), I realised I really had been jogging - I'd taken 1:06:55 (6:12/km pace). So since the clouds had come over again, I decided to pick up the pace on the return leg. It didn't feel like I was trying too hard so 0:56:27 (5:14/km, which is within my steady pace range) was a bit surprising. Total: 21.6km (13 1/2 miles) in 2:03:22 for an average pace of 5:43/km. And I got through almost a full litre of water...

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 miles for me today at 7:47 pace. I just arrived in Michigan with my family today on a red eye, so felt like I needed to get a run in after hours of sitting. Plan on an 18 miler tomorrow at a slower pace. Long slow burn.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out this afternoon before dinner for another 4.6 miles to push me up over 80.0 for the week. I officially ended with 82.4 miles.

It was 86°, the sun was blazing, and the humidity was pretty high but I managed to average 8:19, even after this morning’s long run.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite things to do is running while traveling. It’s always nice to be out early in the morning before the town is bustling to explore. Right now we are visiting Holland, Michigan.

Got out on the road around 6:30 am. Weather felt around 60s, and definitely could feel the humidity in the air. Did some stretching because I was planning on 18 miles today. Set out from the hotel and did about a 4 mile loop around a local pond before hitting the main road that would take me out to Ottawa Beach. Kept chugging along and felt pretty good. But the humidity was certainly sapping me a bit. Hit mile 10 just short of Ottawa Beach and decided to walk around for a minute to hydrate with some Gatorade I brought on my running belt and suck down one of my Maurten gels. I was at a 7:00 minute pace at mile 10.

After a few minute walk I set out again and hit Ottawa Beach and the red lighthouse about a half mile later. Did a quick loop at the beach before setting out back to the hotel with about 7 miles to go.

Upon heading back I realized I must have been running with a little tail wind because I felt a noticeable headwind. I knew the run back was going to be a little tougher because it was a mostly a low grade uphill run on the way back, which would be compounded by the headwind.

Hit mile 14 and I had added about 6 seconds to my overall pace. I walked again at mile 14 to take another gel and drink some more Gatorade. I don’t usually walk during gel intake but because this time I had Gatorade I didn’t want to end up with a bunch of sticky **** all over me.

After a couple minutes walking set out again for the final 4 miles. By this time I was certainly feeling the heat. It was probably up to 75 degrees and the humidity felt pretty crappy. Mind you, I live in Southern California so I am spoiled with cool mornings and low humidity.

Finally got back to the hotel and couldn’t be happier. My shirt was soaked, and I was ready for a bunch of water.!

Overall pace for the total 18 miles was 7:12/mile. The final 8 miles came in ~7:30/mile.

Now time to eat and enjoy some brews and good food the rest of the day!!!!!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite things to do is running while traveling. It’s always nice to be out early in the morning before the town is bustling to explore. Right now we are visiting Holland, Michigan.

Got out on the road around 6:30 am. Weather felt around 60s, and definitely could feel the humidity in the air. Did some stretching because I was planning on 18 miles today. Set out from the hotel and did about a 4 mile loop around a local pond before hitting the main road that would take me out to Ottawa Beach. Kept chugging along and felt pretty good. But the humidity was certainly sapping me a bit. Hit mile 10 just short of Ottawa Beach and decided to walk around for a minute to hydrate with some Gatorade I brought on my running belt and suck down one of my Maurten gels. I was at a 7:00 minute pace at mile 10.

After a few minute walk I set out again and hit Ottawa Beach and the red lighthouse about a half mile later. Did a quick loop at the beach before setting out back to the hotel with about 7 miles to go.

Upon heading back I realized I must have been running with a little tail wind because I felt a noticeable headwind. I knew the run back was going to be a little tougher because it was a mostly a low grade uphill run on the way back, which would be compounded by the headwind.

Hit mile 14 and I had added about 6 seconds to my overall pace. I walked again at mile 14 to take another gel and drink some more Gatorade. I don’t usually walk during gel intake but because this time I had Gatorade I didn’t want to end up with a bunch of sticky **** all over me.

After a couple minutes walking set out again for the final 4 miles. By this time I was certainly feeling the heat. It was probably up to 75 degrees and the humidity felt pretty crappy. Mind you, I live in Southern California so I am spoiled with cool mornings and low humidity.

Finally got back to the hotel and couldn’t be happier. My shirt was soaked, and I was ready for a bunch of water.!

Overall pace for the total 18 miles was 7:12/mile. The final 8 miles came in ~7:30/mile.

Now time to eat and enjoy some brews and good food the rest of the day!!!!!

Welcome to the Great Lake State! Yes, the humidity can be brutal here, especially if you aren't acclimatized to it. I have a friend from high school who is a runner and live out that way in Grand Haven and she always posts pictures of her runs at some of the parks out there with dunes along the lake and it's always very scenic, much more so than along Lake Huron on this side.

I got in 7.1 miles this morning. The humidity was clocking in on my weather station at 90%... barely noticeable.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Great Lake State! Yes, the humidity can be brutal here, especially if you aren't acclimatized to it. I have a friend from high school who is a runner and live out that way in Grand Haven and she always posts pictures of her runs at some of the parks out there with dunes along the lake and it's always very scenic, much more so than along Lake Huron on this side.

I got in 7.1 miles this morning. The humidity was clocking in on my weather station at 90%... barely noticeable.

Thanks! I really enjoy Michigan. My wife has family here. We visited them in Kalamazoo 4 years back for the 4th.

Enjoyed it so much we turned it into a little family reunion where we get together every 4th. She has two cousins out here and each has 2 boys around the same age as ours. So, there are 6 crazy boys all ages 4 to 7. I am expecting someone to need stitches this year, haha.

The last 3 years we have rented a place at Glen Lake. It’s absolutely beautiful and a ton of cool things to check out within a 10 mile radius.

This time we decided to arrive a little earlier because my wife wanted to visit Holland.

My wife’s grandfather lived in your area I think. Bloomfield Hills? She remembers going there as a kid and always enjoying it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads