• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Those are some crazy negative splits and an equally crazy story to go with it. I’m glad that it sounds like she wasn’t having a more serious problem.

I don't see anyone else running around here so I don't really have any issues one way or the other, but I have seen quite a lot of women runners writing about how male runners behave, and I've concluded that maybe it's not the best idea to try to chase down some random younger woman you don't know. Just think about how might look and feel from their perspective.
Over the past month or so, I’ve noticed a ton more runners out in the mornings than normal for this time of year here. I try and catch up to many of them, male or female, and usually fail. There have been so many runners out lately that if I actively avoided them all, I’d be altering my routes pretty drastically. I am conscious of how it might feel for the female runners so if I do try to catch up to one, I always try to keep my pace up so I can catch them, pass them, and then be done with it. It was a fluke with yesterday’s run where the girl was going on the same route as me without turning for 3 miles.

I do occasionally alter my route to avoid young women though. If I’m approaching an intersection and planning to turn and then see a young woman pass in the direction I’m planning to go, I’ll usually go up an extra block or turn the opposite direction(if those are options)

This morning I tried catching a guy who ran past my driveway as I was starting. He was really moving and I could only keep up with him for about a half mile before he left me in the dust. I swear he looked back at me and laughed before turning on the afterburners.

FWIW, my wife’s cousin was visiting us for a few days a couple years ago and she was driving into the neighborhood in the evening And said she probably saw a dozen girls out running through the area by themselves and commented that she usually judges how safe a neighborhood is by how many young women she sees out running by themselves.

9.3 miles for me this morning. The weather has been warm lately but no humidity this week, which has been pretty nice.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 miles for me this morning at a comfortable 7:33 pace. Felt pretty effortless which was nice and tells me I am getting my legs back under me after take a number of rest days over the last couple months. Also helped that weather was great. 60 with dense cloud cover.

Thats a crazy story @Dusty Heaters. Did you ever figure out what the heck led to her breaking down so quickly?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only 12 easy miles today. I'd planned to ride longer, but a video chat with a former bandmate went long, and then I decided to meet my son who'd been on a socially distant ride with friends in Golden Gate Park and ride home with him.

I don't see anyone else running around here so I don't really have any issues one way or the other, but I have seen quite a lot of women runners writing about how male runners behave, and I've concluded that maybe it's not the best idea to try to chase down some random younger woman you don't know. Just think about how might look and feel from their perspective.
Indeed. To be clear, "rabbit" for me is anyone who is going near or a bit above my pace, male or female. Having someone to chase spurs the effort.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11.8 miles this morning at an 8:26/mile pace.

My goal for the week was 65 miles and I need 6.8 to get there. The weather was perfect so I stretched it out with another 5 miles and got an even 70.0 miles for the week.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still tapering, so my 'long run' today wasn't very long - just 18.2km (just under 8 1/2 miles). I went out at 6:30am to beat the heat, and it was perfect. We had huge thunderstorms yesterday and hail the size of ball bearings, but today there was that cool 'after the storm' feeling. My legs felt pretty good too, so I decided to make it a fast finish long run, with a big negative split. The thing is that when I got to halfway, the clock was on 49:38, which meant that I was already at an average 5:27/km pace, which is near the top end of my target long run pacing. Nevertheless I gradually picked it up as the temperatures started to rise, and also didn't forget to do the strides I had planned in the last kilometre. The final time was 1:34:27, for 5:11/km overall, with the second half being 44:49 (or 4:55/km). It didn't feel anything like that fast. That's good, I guess...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can we pick a day--say this Tuesday--where all yall dudes run 3 miles so i can feel superior after running five?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can we pick a day--say this Tuesday--where all yall dudes run 3 miles so i can feel superior after running five?
My May running total was 1 mile, so I'm here for ya, bud.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.