• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many miles did you run today?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
10 miles mostly on flat trails on a beautiful spring day with temps in the low to mid 60s.

57E3C760-8192-4993-843C-373130A6ED8A.jpeg
068EA20F-D4AE-496C-AC1B-6B042C63F2CF.jpeg

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My standard for the foreseeable future, lunch time 7 miles. Switched it up today and went counter-clockwise. I somehow found one of the few stretches during the day without rain.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Windy day here again (I guess that's why we have a wind farm here...). It was cloudy at first but got sunnier about when I started. I was a make-up day today; I had to do what I should have done on Sunday. So 24km (15 miles) to the American ferry and back with an extra loop. I felt great today, and while its seemed like I was clomping along as normal, from my time checks it was obvious I was going much faster than normal for a long run. I ended up with 2:06:40 (5:17/km pace), which is too fast, but I didn't feel like that was a concern today.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a look at various training pace calculators and recommendations, and it seems that, surprisingly, 5:17 is (just) within the range of the kind of long-run pace I should be running if I'm aiming at sub 3:20 marathon or a sub 1:30 half-marathon - and those were (are) my goals this year. The range is really quite large (5:15 to 5:50ish). I tend to try to run at the slow end of this (or even slower) because the advice I've had is that most people actually try to run too hard and that you get the same benefit from being much slower on long runs. I try to run what feels comfortable breathing through my nose, which is a rough guide, but I really should get an HR monitor, I think.

My tempo this last month, at just under 4:20 is apparently dead-on, so I don't need to keep pushing for 4:15.

It seems it's actually my steady (easy) pace (about 5:00/km that has been slightly too fast. That should be nearer 5:15, it seems, but, again I feel comfortable running steady at that pace.

Overall in March: 195.5 km (121 1/2 miles)

And the best bit is no sign of injuries at all. The softer shoes for longer runs really seem to have made a difference, although I am feeling that I would prefer the little bit of stability correction that my fast shoes have (I think the Brooks shoe I really need is the Adrenaline rather than the Ghost, but I'm still enjoying running in the Ghosts for now; I've definitely got used to them)

In April, I'm aiming to keep increasing the distances, but then taper a bit towards a Half-marathon at the end of the month. The actual race, like everything else, has been cancelled. But I (and a number of other clubmates) are going to run a virutal race on our own just because. I think it will be difficult to run a decent time without other people - I always rely on finding someone who is running at a similar pace to me and tracking them - but we'll see.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a great write up FM. You train more with target paces than I ever have. The pollen around Nashville has been rough this year so my times haven been ever so slightly slower but usually within my normal range. I would say from a perceived stress or effort, it has been tougher.

The one flat path around here where you can put in a solid 10 miles without much gain/loss is likely crowded given the circumstances. It is fun to sometimes go out there and tick ~7min miles that feel effortless.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use a new pair of running kicks, been putting in more miles with social distancing. Looking for recommendations of what y'all like.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium I guess. Had a pair of Hoka Cliftons that seemed excessive. Currently running in a pair of Gyakusou Zoom Fly which I’m happy with.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium I guess. Had a pair of Hoka Cliftons that seemed excessive. Currently running in a pair of Gyakusou Zoom Fly which I’m happy with.
Based on the ZF gen. 1 you mentioned, I would suggest checking out the following shoes that are similar in road feel, stack, and drop.

•Nike Pegasus turbo (I liked V1 over V2. Only the upper changed.)
•Nike Infinity Run
•New Balance Fuelcell TC
•Saucony Endorphin Speed
•Asics Novablast

Lower Drop (offset)
•Sketchers GoRun 7+ Hyper
•Hoka Rincon (V2 is literally the exact same as V1.)
•New Balance fuelcell rebel

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a great write up FM. You train more with target paces than I ever have.
I didn't use to - this is really only since the middle of last year when I decided I was too fat, too lazy and was going to do a marathon... and it's made a huge difference.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steady run today in beautiful sunshine, albeit with a strong north-east wind which wasn't fun to run into. 14.3km (just under 9 mile) loop in just over 1:10, which is 4:54min/km. I felt I was running too fast for this type of run today, so I will slow it down a bit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.