1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many meters did you swim today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by CDFS, Nov 22, 2009.

1. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

In the style of the 'How many miles did you run today?' thread I present to you this new and exciting thread. This morning I swam for the firts time in a long while. About 1200 meters (or 2/3th of a mile).

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I sprint 20 meters at a time as fast as I can with brief rests in between. I do this for 30-45 minutes. I don't really count up the distance.

3. Elmo

Elmo Well-Known Member

I do 30 minutes in a 25 meter pool. I don't count laps.

I add a 4 mile walk [slow] to the effort.

4. Althis

Althis Senior member

on average 2500-3000 per day mon-fri now that water polo is over

5. damnthings

damnthings Member

10K a day. My hair is dead.

6. Laffertron

Laffertron Senior member

300. Not much but I'm still starting out. Trying to do a session before and after work, but only did one today. The benefits of living in an apartment complex with a pool - nobody uses it. It's like having your own private pool that you don't have to look after.

Swimming makes you feel great!

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

2,500 every MWF. 10K is insane. Does Michael Phelps swim that much?

8. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Not really sure about distance in meters (though I could probably work it out) but have been trying to get into a fairly regular schedule of alternating days doing lap swimming (1 hour sessions) with running (75-90 minutes). Six days of alternating the two, and then a day of rest/stretching.

Feeling good and not nearly as affected by the minor aches and strains I was prone to when I was into a pretty much consistent running regimen.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which pool? I've been swimming at the Rose Bowl but I've missed the last month. I was also thinking of playing with the master water polo group on Sundays.

10. Althis

Althis Senior member

pasadena high pool, i go to the rose bowl sometimes on weekends

11. oman

oman Senior member

~1000. but i've been cutting back on frequency lately; i need to get back into the routine

12. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

13. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

You are a brave man. I used to do water polo. After a while, the morning swims tax your soul. Pretty violent too.

14. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

I'd be interested to know if any of the swimmers posting here are using swimming aids.

For myself, I'm going to try to get it up to 2kms (no aids). If I can manage that 3 times a week I'll be happy.

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

if i can get to 500m (with breaks) its a good day. i cant fucking swim for shit and ive even taken lessons and it pisses me off

16. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

17. oman

oman Senior member

I'd be interested to know if any of the swimmers posting here are using swimming aids.

For myself, I'm going to try to get it up to 2kms (no aids). If I can manage that 3 times a week I'll be happy.

what are swimming aids?

18. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior member

what are swimming aids?

He may be thinking about a pull buoy or paddles. I use both a bit during drills.

But in keeping with the theme of the thread, 3.8k this morning. I do that about 3 days a week, and then mix in 2 days running and a day on the bike this time of year. In the spring, more biking and running, less swimming.

19. oman

oman Senior member

paddles are those things on your hands, right? i should get a pair. i assume they make things more difficult?

20. Althis

Althis Senior member

You are a brave man. I used to do water polo. After a while, the morning swims tax your soul. Pretty violent too.

We only had morning practices for 3 weeks, but practice at 6 AM really sucks lol, it may be violent but it's the most fun I've ever had, worst injuries I received was a dislocated shoulder and several kicks to the groin and face.

Also for building up endurance for swimming, don't swim hard, just take easy strokes and make sure you stretch beforehand. It's also a good idea to alternate strokes, we often do medleys (IM's) which actually seem to make the laps go by faster since you're switching strokes and it gives a chance for other muscles to rest while you work others. And for swimming laps, wear jammers or a speedo because board shorts or anything else pretty much just weigh you down and sap your energy.