• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnkav
I owe this sport so much and I think all rowers will agree to that.

+1. Something about crew made me a man far more than any other sport or activity.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice post johnkav.

i've been erging 70-80k per week (gonna up it to 90-100 pretty soon) and lifting 2x per week. 2k test coming up this saturday. i want 1:40 or less but realistically i'll probably pull something in the 1:42 range.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last workout before 2k test, taking tomorrow off.

4x2k

1:51.8
1:51.8
1:51.7
1:51.7

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The single is going well. I'm starting to like it more than rowing in bigger sweep boats.

I've logged 296,013m so far this summer, and hope to break 500km by the time school starts back up. I'm racing the single and an eight this weekend at Chicago Sprints.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read a study linking working out as a team (as opposed to alone) can lead to increased pain thresholds. I totally agree.

That is all.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Haven't kept up with this thread too much lately.

Raced at IDR in Philly and it's obvious that I hadn't raced in 4 years, nevertheless for the first time in the single! Will give a better go next summer. At my peak, post college, I was around 215lbs. after being roughly 182 during college rowing/training (195 the following year because of more lifting with my erging). I'm now only 10lbs more than my collegiate weight, right where I was when I graduated, and great for the summertime/beach season. Will be running during the upcoming week (random fact - my 5.5mi loop takes me right past where that "jackass" decided to off himself in a 911 GT3...)

Will probably hit the erg this week and see where I am.

Originally Posted by johnkav
I owe this sport so much and I think all rowers will agree to that.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
+1. Something about crew made me a man far more than any other sport or activity.

And I agree with these statements 110%.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Unclesam,

Were you able to row/erg a lot while adding the weight? I'm about your size now, 6'2" 195; optimally I working to be a semi-lean 210/215. I spose upping my calories is a must, but I'm weary of excessive rowing while bulking. I feel like it will counteract my bulking effort...

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took silver in the junior men's single today at Chicago Sprints. Not content with that, but satisfied for now; felt like I laid down two damn good pieces. Sorta hammered at the moment anyways. Kid who ended up beating me was kind of a stud, 6'4 lightweight with a 6:30, who medalled at youths. Also got 7th in the 8, which was ok for a boat that had 3 different programs' rowing styles represented, that'd only practiced twice.

chriskirk

Reaction score
I have been using the rowing machine (actually I'm the only one) at my gym for about a month now. I just watched the concept2 video and need to make a slight adjustment to my technique for it to be proper.

I'm just wondering, when you guys are posting times like 4x2K 1:58.1 @ 2K, etc.. does that mean 1:58.1 for 500m? What resistance settings are you guys using?

Just wondering as I'd like to try Monday and post my times using the correct formats and measurement.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would mean 1:58.1 per 500m. And generally, most people use a resistance setting between 3 and 4 (or 5). It's most similar to the actual resistance of rowing on the water, and rowing at a much higher resistance could hurt your back.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chris, you might wanna check the drag factor to get a better idea of the resistance. at my gym there are a couple of machines that when set to 10 have a drag factor of 100-110. the machines should be at 140-160 when set to 10. you want a drag factor of 120.

like wmmk said, the 1:51.8 refers to the average pace per 500 meters. it's similar to a runner saying he did 5 miles at a 7min/mile pace.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's your peak power? what's the lowest split you can attain using full strokes? this is always fun to do cause it's fast and doesn't hurt. i pulled 1:16 the other day.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fellas, uh ... is there some secret technique to not crushing your nuts when using the erg machine?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
fellas, uh ... is there some secret technique to not crushing your nuts when using the erg machine?

It can be tough at times. Gotta lock em up with some spandex/trou.

chriskirk

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I will do 2K today and check out the drag factor. I have been using resistance 8-10 so I think 4/5 should be a bit easier on me =)

I'm doing a combination of 5-10 mins jump rope and then 2K on the rowing machines.

Also, are you guys pausing for rests at all? Or are you just going full tilt for 2K? At resistance 8-10, I generally go full on for 250m and then row lightly for 30 seconds, kind of like interval training I guess.

Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads