1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many meters did you row/erg today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by wmmk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BobD

BobD Member

Surprised to hear there is no comparison available, but I guess that reflects the lack of me easily finding anything via Google.

I'm not sure where I will get access to a C2 machine before the event to try it out. I used to train on them, but have not for a few years now.

For the event in *December* I'm training to a C2 training plan focused on a 2k.
    Doing the work, so hopefully I won't embarrass myself at the comp.

2. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Think of the aerobic:anaerobic:strength paradigm as a venn diagram where when any one circle increases it will overlap the other two more and more. The total area of the diagram doesn't get much bigger as one singular circle overlaps more however, if the other circles start to expand then the area increases much more. There will be times in training where the opportunity benefit from aerobic work exceeds that of maximal strength and times where anaerobic work exceeds that of aerobic, so on and so forth. It is the coaches job to determine what is needed where that opportunity benefit will be greatest (one reason why I handle a lot of off-season rowers training due to being one of the few coaches around that seem to understand the third component and how it relates to the other two in rowing).

In rowing, more often than not it is wattage that often times stands to be the most improved since it is usually the least developed system.

3. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

I did an ergatta this weekend as part of a fundraiser, it was my third time on an erg. I rowed a men's masters 2k and a 500m father's race.
    I got my ass kicked in the masters, my average pace was 2:09.2. I came in 2nd for the 500m with a pace of 1:49.6, this race was 15 minutes after the 2k.

My daughter's coach said these were pretty respectable numbers for an untrained rower (age 46). I thought it was terrific fun and am seriously thinking of taking rowing lessons this spring. I used to row as a kid (big old aluminum Mirro-Craft fishing boat, not a shell). I've always loved rowing, and being involved in the local crew team just stokes the passion.

We have several Concept2 ergs at the local YMCA that I'm going to start training on. The first time I tried an erg, I did a 6K to see what my daughter practices, I thought I would die. Dang, those kids are tough.

Any suggestions of a good workout? When you say "20 seconds 80% 40 seconds easy but still rowing x5", how do you determine the 80%?
    Thanks!

4. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

erg guys,
    I'm starting to use the Concept 2 at my gym more and more to increase my general level of fitness. As someone without any form of training, who plans to use this machine daily, do I need to get some form of professional instruction? I sense the goal is that each stroke should look identical....as a total noob I doubt that's the case for me.

5. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Like you said, it's the coach's job to determine what is needed. I would have seen a lot of benefit from lifting more as I was built more like a lightweight. But you have to use a common goal for your coaching plan.

I think that I had good aerobic but lacked strength. Wide grip pullups are great for strength training.

I'd say do long steady pace. That will build your aerobic base. Go to Concept2.com for some help on workout suggestions.

You should check out the videos on Concept2.com for what you should look like.