• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
This thread is the first I've heard of 3/4 being water equal... When I rowed it was 4+/5... Doesn't the Concept II site say 5?

We heard 6-7.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 50 Eggs
How much warm up time did you put in before busting out the intervals?

Eh, about 4-5 minutes at a 2:20 or so with a couple 10-stroke bursts at full pressure (sub 1:40) thrown in towards the end.

Monday, we did 10 min. erg (4'@22, 3'@24, 2'@26, 1'@28), 10 min. stairs, 10 min. erg again, 10 min. stairs again. Went 1:49.9 on the first erg piece, 1:49.7 on the second and passed a lot of guys on the stairs. H.R. never went above 165. Felt pretty good about that.

Yesterday and today, I've been completely snowed in. Other than shoveling snow for 4+ hours and doing a few pushups, I haven't been able to work out.
confused.gif

unclesam099

Reaction score
All - thanks, we did pretty well, but could have been better. Experience is very important in racing. Silver at Dad Vail isn't that impressive anymore, all of the really fast teams now go to ECAC or others that were fast have kinda fallen off as of late. I think we were ranked as high as 18th in the nation that year. That was a lot of fun to row that boat with those guys. We could do all 8 on the square, and I never remember having a bad practice that entire season.

bach, sorry to say that you probably won't make the Varsity team at UC Berkeley - the Bears heavyweight Varsity squad are typically a #1 team in the nation. The current coach is Mike Teti, former US National Team coach who took the '04 US team to win a gold in Athens. Do a 2k at your current weight at 6:20 (1:35 split), then they might talk to you. The lightweight team is typically pretty decent and is a club team not affiliated with the heavyweight varsity squad, though you probably know that if you were rowing with them? Drop 15lbs and you're there.

Also, your coach will tell you where they want you to have your damper setting. No two ergs have the same drag factor according to their damper setting!! A 5 on one erg might be a 3.5 on another!! Use the "hidden" features on the PM2 monitor to determine the drag factor. I think the PM3 displays this normally. Like on my PM2, hold the (I think) OK key and the Rest key to show drag, it'll pop up in one of the unused areas of the screen. Holding the OK and one of the arrow keys show overall meters on that monitor, and OK + the other arrow is an odometer that can be reset somehow. Refer to the concept2 website for more info, I can't remember all of it.

I row the single recreationally now and prefer my drag factor to be around 125 or so. Gives a better feeling of picking the boat up at the catch, especially with my Model D handle on my Model C. I think I used a 115 or so at school. I also wasn't as strong then, did more with rating than strength.

Oh, and lately been doing 20' @ 1:49 or so, haven't had much time each night recently. Planning on 30' tonight.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Thanks for the insight sam... why coaches never told us that, who knows. Will try and adjust the damper next time out.

unclesam099

Reaction score
^^^

Thanks for the insight sam... why coaches never told us that, who knows. Will try and adjust the damper next time out.

They probably didn't tell you that because there are a lot of things that coaches shouldn't tell you...

Someone had it right in a previous post - PULL HARD. That's really the only thing that you should be thinking about.

Oh, and BobD who was looking for a Waterrower vs. C2 - the C2 has become a LOT quieter with the Model D and E. They split in half for storage, and could be hidden away somewhere. And I feel the geometry is just better for duplicating the stroke compared to the waterrower. Just another opinion on the situation.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Pulled a 2k PR over the weekend, 6:49.1. Went really hard, spent a couple minutes dry heaving afterward. Pumped to do my best, but I was also sick last week so I know I'm going to drop even more time for the next one.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Been away from all cardio for about 6 months now. last week slowly began reminding my heart that it has to pump fast sometimes. Did 7k worth of intervals. Hardest pull was 1:19. My hardest pull ever. Hurt like **** overall, but felt great to push cardio again.

unclesam099

Reaction score
... Been away from all cardio for about 6 months now. last week slowly began reminding my heart that it has to pump fast sometimes. Did 7k worth of intervals. Hardest pull was 1:19. My hardest pull ever. Hurt like **** overall, but felt great to push cardio again.

What kind of intervals were those? 1:19 isn't really sustainable for much more than a couple of strokes at a time!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unclesam099
What kind of intervals were those? 1:19 isn't really sustainable for much more than a couple of strokes at a time!

I made my own interval set, just to slowly get back in shape. intervals were 2k, 1.5k, 1k, 500m and 300m, with some active rest in between. the 1:19 pull was on the final 300m interval. I didn't pull the whole 300m at 1:19, but didn't go over 1:25 either.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monday:
5x750--1:42 avg.

Tuesday:
Rigged eights; rowed on the water

Tonight:
8x500--1:38 avg.

Tomorrow:
Back on the water

Friday:

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Monday:
5x750--1:42 avg.

Tuesday:
Rigged eights; rowed on the water

Tonight:
8x500--1:38 avg.

Tomorrow:
Back on the water

Friday:

Good luck on that 2k wmmk! I've got one this afternoon too...

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I did PR, with a 6:49.7. Actually wasn't a horribly painful piece (compared to other 2k's), though I was pretty nauseous for a few hours afterwards. Not a big PR by any means, but I'm glad to know I didn't get any slower over the winter.

Andy, how'd your 2k go on Friday?

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Thanks, guys. I did PR, with a 6:49.7. Actually wasn't a horribly painful piece (compared to other 2k's), though I was pretty nauseous for a few hours afterwards. Not a big PR by any means, but I'm glad to know I didn't get any slower over the winter.

Andy, how'd your 2k go on Friday?

Good work on the 2k! Nice looking PR there, I'm sure you'll take off even more on the next one.

Got moved to tomorrow! That way I got to have 2k dread all weekend. Hoping for a 6:45 or so, but I'd be happy with anything 6:48 or below.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads