1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How many meters did you row/erg today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by wmmk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bach

bach Senior member

today's workout. my HR max is 190.

[​IMG]

2. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

today's workout. my HR max is 190.

[​IMG]

That's pretty damn fast.

3. BobD

BobD Member

stroke pyramid for me today

5 min warm up
    10 strokes hard (~1:43, HR~155, 25SPM), 10 light
    20 hard (~1.45, ~157, 24), 20 light
    30 hard (~1.44, ~161, 25), 30 light
    40 hard (~1.45, ~171, 24), 30 light
    30 hard (~1.47, ~167, 25), 20 light
    20 hard (~1.45, ~161, 25), 10 light
    10 hard (~1.47, ~163, 24)
    5 min warm down

The longer hard pieces hurt a little and my HR would fall back to the mid 140's at the end of the lights.

happy rowing

4. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

bach, you are too consistent! I want to see improvement over those pieces. You aren't pushing if you can go the same speed on the first and the last pieces... I coached a kid who rowed in high school and came to college, did that same thing, and was really fast only on the last piece. That's mediocre and not effective in spending all of your energy. Try to get faster, even a little bit, on every single piece.

5. bach

bach Senior member

I never thought I'd hear that in a pejorative way :D. Consistency is good! I've been following Mike Caviston's wolverine plan for a while and one of the main principles is consistency.

From http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm:

Also, from http://www.atm.ox.ac.uk/rowing/physics/basics.html#section5:

Anyway, I'm making progress on the WP plan. Here's a 4x2k workout I did 2 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Today I increased the pace and my HR was lower than it was last time, and last time was a slower pace. Not bad.

[​IMG]

Instead of going faster every piece, I go faster every workout. Each time I do a workout, I set a lower target split than the split I did the previous week. So far, my fitness gains have allowed me to keep up with the reduction in pace. Since my fitness gains are probably getting smaller and smaller with each passing week, eventually, I won't be able to reach that target split. When that day arrives I'll really be "pushing". For now, it's still really @#$(@#ing hard, promise.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Bach,

We get your logic, and without question, consistency is more efficient as you pointed out.

What Sam was saying is when you are doing training pieces you should push yourself to better each piece. Doing 1:45 each split is easier than trying to lower that split each time, and going easy until the last split is useless. You want to give it everything you have each piece and the last piece should really ruin you.

My coach once had us give a solid 3 mile run to warm up... then told us we were racing for seats for 2k... then gave us a cool down jog. Then gave us another 2k test to see who would really get seats. Performance under pressure, failure, lack of energy is very important in this sport.

It seems you are really working at this, please post when you first pass out and/or vomit.

7. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Well, he is being very consistent per that plan. Keep in mind, though, that plan (I think?) is for women. I read thru it again and didn't see any mention of whether it could be for men or women. Generally, men and women train much differently.

If you're following the plan, then stick with it. The way we trained was a bit different, where (like I said) we were given the workout and budgeted appropriately. When I was done with my erg workout, I likely couldn't do any more (though sometimes Coach said "one more piece! It's mind over matter - I don't mind, and your legs don't matter!"). That season, our 3rd 500m was usually the fastest of any crew in the race, vs. the opposition's slowest.

All that being said, there are MANY ways that coaches have us train, and none of them are better than the other. We all react differently to our training regimen.

8. bach

bach Senior member

From what I've gathered, the WP is basically just Caviston's erg routine, although it's true he gave it to the UMich women's team. He set a WR at CRASH-B for his age/weight, so it's gotta work for some people.

9. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Yeah, WP is some solid shit.

10. bach

bach Senior member

wmmk, did you do the lvl 4 pieces as often as the plan said to? it says that 65-70% of the volume should come from lvl 4, but i'm lucky if 30% of my work meters are lvl 4.

11. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Admittedly not. I'd say about 65-70% of my work meters come from L4-type pieces, but a lot of that work is done out in my single. Because I don't yet own a SpeedCoach, I can't monitor stroke rates or splits very accurately on the water, which makes doing real L4 workouts effectively impossible.

12. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Hit 4:03 today for my boatclub's 1k course in the single. The old PR was 4:08. Fuck of a lot harder to pull 2-minute splits in a single than on an erg!

Also, I did a 10k on the erg the other night, cycling through 18/20/22 spm. I think I went balls out for the last minute or so. Finished with 1:55 avg. split.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  13. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Still out of shape.

3k x 2. First was 1:55.0/20-22spm, second 1:53.5/23-24spm. 3 minute rest in between.

Even though I'm very out of shape to rowing standards, I can easily outwork everyone on a b-ball court. Stupid people don't know how to hussle :)

14. AndyMcL

AndyMcL Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in a while. Got really sick for about a month and pretty much got no real training. Working back up to old levels. Doing a lot of steady state and some cross training. When it gets to August going to start upping the intensity.

15. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

30k today in the single. Went a little nuts, haha. I'm now past 500,000m for the summer. I think I still have a chance of making it to a million before fall crew starts up.

16. bach

bach Senior member

30K?? were your hands like ground beef after that?

4x2k today. not the most hellish workout i've ever done, but i'm really starting to hate ergs.

1:49.8
    1:49.8
    1:49.7
    1:49.6

17. bach

bach Senior member

18. bach

bach Senior member

today was my lifting day

before weights: 20 seconds @ 1:18.7
    after weights: 5k @ 1:50.9

19. BobD

BobD Member

30 min steady state today. 20SPM, HR ~140, splits between 2.00 and 2.10.

Felt good. A solid piece, not all out by any means, but I'm happy with it.

Been training every day this week as I have a week off and home alone. Back to work next week means a return to 6am sessions and more effort required to find the time.

Happy rowing/erging...

B

20. AndyMcL

AndyMcL Well-Known Member

Pretty legit 8x500 there! Keep up the good work, you're making a lot of progress.

Haven't been doing a lot of erging/rowing lately, mostly been focusing on cycling. Trying to break it up a bit.