• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

Doctor

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
Should I take that as a compliment? I posted my time/distance because I know it's good. The machine is not broken. I'm a hair over 6'7", 200lbs. Been working consistently at this for a few years. I've been thinking about joining the rowing club at my uni. Would be interested to see how I go in a real boat. I guess it might make more sense if I started doing splits first and assessed myself via some established standards rather than having a freestyle rowing bonanza for 40min.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
lol8[1].gif
Should I take that as a compliment?

I posted my time/distance because I know it's good. The machine is not broken.

I'm a hair over 6'7", 200lbs. Been working consistently at this for a few years. I've been thinking about joining the rowing club at my uni. Would be interested to see how I go in a real boat. I guess it might make more sense if I started doing splits first and assessed myself via some established standards rather than having a freestyle rowing bonanza for 40min.

That time beats the highest-ranked 10k time by a full 4 minutes if he were to continue his 10K pace over an extra 3K.

You were doing 6.5 2Ks @ 6:10 each, and he did 5 2Ks at 6:54 each. Incredible, I guess.
eh.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do splits like you. I just get on the machine and row for 40min at a time.

Probably sounds odd, but I'm not actually a rower. I just do this for fitness. I still take care with my form and have been working on my distance/speed for a while now.

The world record for a 10k is 31:36 ... I suppose it is plausible that you can tack on another 3k in 9 mins or so... But it seems pretty crazy. The only reason I think you machine isn't broken is your size. At 6'7" and 200 you are pretty optimum for distance.

In any case I would suggest you go find your uni coach and tell him whats up.

BTW, are you on a Concept2?

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
The world record for a 10k is 31:36 ... I suppose it is plausible that you can tack on another 3k in 9 mins or so... But it seems pretty crazy. The only reason I think you machine isn't broken is your size. At 6'7" and 200 you are pretty optimum for distance.

In any case I would suggest you go find your uni coach and tell him whats up.

BTW, are you on a Concept2?

I am surprised that the coach hasn't approached you already. He is going to be foaming at the mouth once he sees you walk into his office.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No reason to bother with college, just walk on the Olympic team.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, today:

2K @ 7:21
2K @ 7:25
2K @ 7:28
2K @ 7:27

I think I'm over the flu, so I'm going to run while the gym is closed the next few days then maybe see if I can beat my 7:00 2K time. I'm pretty beat up from the past few weeks and feel like my muscles give out well before my aerobic capacity does.

My form isn't perfect but it's pretty efficient.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You were doing 6.5 2Ks @ 6:10 each, and he did 5 2Ks at 6:54 each. Incredible, I guess.
eh.gif

If this math is correct, there's no way Doctor's story is plausible at all. 44 seconds difference in a 2k, in a race, is the difference between a 1st place finisher and not even qualifying. I'm not sure if it's even objectively, mechanically possible for the human body to ever go that fast.

Originally Posted by why
No reason to bother with college, just walk on the Olympic team.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, today:

2K @ 7:21
2K @ 7:25
2K @ 7:28
2K @ 7:27

I think I'm over the flu, so I'm going to run while the gym is closed the next few days then maybe see if I can beat my 7:00 2K time. I'm pretty beat up from the past few weeks and feel like my muscles give out well before my aerobic capacity does.

My form isn't perfect but it's pretty efficient.

Very impressive, each one of those splits is just a few seconds slower than my all-time best 2k (which, i assure you, was not easy for me to attain
laugh.gif
). I'm a 5'10'' lightweight, if you're similarly situated you should be proud.

Doctor

Reaction score
Whilst I have been almost breaking myself for a long time to acheive that time/distance, it does all seem a bit crazy to me. I just posted my distance in response to the thread title - had no idea it was that impressive (suspected it was probably pretty quick though) so I'm not making it up.

I am going to go find another Concept 2, maybe at a local gym and verify my stats. Probably next week some time. Will report back.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Very impressive, each one of those splits is just a few seconds slower than my all-time best 2k (which, i assure you, was not easy for me to attain
laugh.gif
). I'm a 5'10'' lightweight, if you're similarly situated you should be proud.

I'm a 5'11" heavyweight, but I can become a lightweight with a day of ketosis (or the flu...ugh that sucked). I dropped weight because it made me a better runner and I swear it made me a better rower too (longer stroke -- my abs used to get in the way slightly).

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'm a 5'11" heavyweight, but I can become a lightweight with a day of ketosis (or the flu...ugh that sucked). I dropped weight because it made me a better runner and I swear it made me a better rower too (longer stroke -- my abs used to get in the way slightly).
Impressive especially considering your relatively short stature. Maybe I'm too cynical as endurance enthusiasts are oft to be, but I swear those scrawny 6'3'' lightweights, who are usually the fastest, don't try as hard as us short guys... it's almost as if their mechanical advantage does it all for them.

I always thought the shorter the distance on the erg the less height was a factor in determining success. I for one did a 1:31 500m once, which on some chart implied I could do a much faster 2000m than I actually could.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Impressive especially considering your relatively short stature. Maybe I'm too cynical as endurance enthusiasts are oft to be, but I swear those scrawny 6'3'' lightweights, who are usually the fastest, don't try as hard as us short guys... it's almost as if their mechanical advantage does it all for them.

To an extent, yes. Most of it is aerobic capacity. Since I started really rowing (and recording) my resting heart rate went from 58bpm to the mid-40s. I just keep trying to shave 5 seconds off my "volume" workouts once per week. I used to do all-out 2Ks once per week but they didn't seem effective for training since they seemed to provide little stimulus for as much as they beat me up. Doing that is like trying to get a big deadlift by doing max deadlift every week. It just doesn't work.

I'm still trying to get faster, but at the moment I'm at a bit of an impasse as gains have slowed down considerably. I was ready to try to break the 7:00 barrier then got the flu which took a few days to recover from. I need to rest and come back stronger. I have a recovery run tomorrow and then a day off on Christmas, so hopefully I'll be recovered enough by then.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I have been almost breaking myself for a long time to acheive that time/distance, it does all seem a bit crazy to me. I just posted my distance in response to the thread title - had no idea it was that impressive (suspected it was probably pretty quick though) so I'm not making it up. I am going to go find another Concept 2, maybe at a local gym and verify my stats. Probably next week some time. Will report back.
It will be interesting to find out.
smile.gif
6:10 for 2k is already pretty impressive. By the way I (now) don't think those concept 2 stats are complete, since that would put me in the 2k top 100 in THE WORLD! (if I had rowed my 1998 time in this year). And 5:45 or so seems fast but not incredibly fast. For lulz I present you this 2000m time:
Originally Posted by concept 2 site
2000 \t7:25.3 \t77 \tDean Smith \tL \tM \tUSA \t2004 \tIndoor rowing race
One of those numbers represents age... Another one quoted for sheer awesomeness
Originally Posted by concept 2 site
2000 \t10:28.2 \t96 \tJohn Hodgson \tL \tM \tGBR \t2006 \tIndoor rowing race

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
One of those numbers represents age...

That guy is 77 years old and rowed a 7:25 2K. Not bad at all.

Another one quoted for sheer awesomeness
96 years old.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

And 5:45 or so seems fast but not incredibly fast.

If that's your time, that's incredibly fast. That's like 8.5 seconds away from the world record for heavyweights and 15 seconds faster than the world record for lightweights...

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's like 8.5 seconds away from the world record for heavyweights and 15 seconds faster than the world record for lightweights...
Haha, no. That's (roughly) the record for this year on the concept 2 site. My record was, IIRC, about 1-2 seconds under the current female WR
bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
Around 6:26 or 27 (IIRC). And I was and am a heavyweight, then 85kilos with a BF of 13%. I was ripped as ****! Edit: I now see that there is also a (year) 2000 time of 5:36.6. I can't seem to find the current WR anywhere on the net.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: I now see that there is also a (year) 2000 time of 5:36.6. I can't seem to find the current WR anywhere on the net.

That's it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics