1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

how many hours sleep do you get a night?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Mr Herbert, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

6 hours usually. I feel fine - just got used to that amount.

2. PipPip

PipPip Senior member

Normally I get 6 to 7 hours and I feel good on that amount. If I get more than 7 hours (weekends) I feel drowsy all day. If I get less than 6 hours I'm angry and jumpy all day.

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Usually ends up being 6. I want more, but life throws 6 at me.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

6 hours is ideal for me. When I was younger, I could go a month or so on only 4 hours, but the older I get the tougher it is to sustain. 8 hours is too much and paradoxically leaves me feeling more tired.

I always thought if I could get away without ever sleeping I never would, but as I've gotten older I consider it less of a waste of time.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like to sleep 8 hours and take hour long naps.

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

During the school year I'm in bed by 9:30 ideally and up at 5:15...nights when I have later hockey games hurt me.

Now that I'm off for a few weeks, I can sleep until 7 when the kids get up and I can also nap during the day if I need to.

7. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

I like to sleep 8 hours and take hour long naps.
    I am a huge fan of the nap. Been doing 6 hours or so at night, and a half hour nap after work. When I go back to school I'm thinking about getting a better mattress, and aiming for less then 5 hours at night and hour nap after class.

8. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

I usually get around 7-8 hours. If I wake up to an alarm clock, I have trouble getting out of bed. On the weekends I usually only get 5-7 but I feel fine when I wake up since I don't use my alarm clock.
    I switched to a rhythmic series of birds chirping about 6 months ago. It starts of quitely and gets progressively louder then starts over. I usually set it for about 15 minutes earlier then I usually have to wake up, and set my normal obnoxious alarm when I do have to get up. Usually, unless I've had a rough night, the birds chirping has me awake and feeling great before my normal alarm even goes off.

But ya .. my old alarm was painful. It would wake me up, but I'd be zombie mode for at least 30 minutes after I woke up and feeling like shit all morning.

9. G79

G79 Senior member

6 to function, 8 is perfect for a great non tiring day.

10. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

6, more or less, during the week. I usually feel more alert if I force myself to get up straight away; hitting snooze just seems to worsen the grogginess.

11. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I try to only sleep 8 hours max. The rest of the 16 hours are too valuable to waste.

12. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

and how much energy do you have when you wake up?

ive been getting 7 solid hours lately and still waking up feeling terrible. its at its worst when ive done weightlifting the night before. seriously struggling to get out of bed lately and have become a snooze button fiend.

am worried there is something wrong with me.

Of course something is wrong with you, your body is stressed out. What is your diet like? are you on low carb, low fat too?

I think you better listen to your body and just start resting, take a break from a gym for a couple of weeks and eat well.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

6 hours when employed, 5 hours when un-employed. Either way, it suffices.

14. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

During the school year I'm in bed by 9:30 ideally and up at 5:15...nights when I have later hockey games hurt me.

Now that I'm off for a few weeks, I can sleep until 7 when the kids get up and I can also nap during the day if I need to.

Just curious what level of schooling do you teach at? My teachers had me slaving nightly till at least 12, if not 1 or 2. And I had to be up at 6:30. I would be disgruntled if they went to sleep at 9:30.

15. aguydude

aguydude Senior member

16. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

I work pretty long hours so I don't get as much sleep as I would like - generally just under 7 hours a night. I don't normally feel too tired but I'm starting to look a little frayed around the edges... I'm 30 now so starting to worry that many more insufficient night's sleep might start to catch up on me.

Does lack of sleep have a big impact on how quickly you age? Don't want to end up looking like this [​IMG] !!

Matt

That would be an expensive, long study, so there probably is no direct evidence. It sounds possible, but almost 7 hours per night is not serious sleep deprivation.

17. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

In a 7day week i'd say 3 nights i get 4-5 hours. The other nights probably 6-8. Usually one 4 hour sleep night i'm fine, but 2 in a row and i start to get tired come 11pm. I'm a trooper though so i can usually suck it up well enough. Used to pull all nighters (and real ones where i don't take 30minute cat naps) in college and i felt pretty fine staying up till midnight or so going out the night after. Once i did 2 and a row and the first day i felt 100%, the 2nd day i was dead

My energy on the 4hour sleep nights now are pretty fine during the day. Don't really feel much different than normal nights

18. ZhiMingBuFanDe

ZhiMingBuFanDe Senior member

On work/school days, I'll get 4-5 hours of sleep.

19. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Been sleeping more lately. I'm averaging 8.5-10 hours a day, and I'm still tired when I get up. [​IMG]

20. volatility smile

volatility smile Senior member

Been sleeping more lately. I'm averaging 8.5-10 hours a day, and I'm still tired when I get up.

[​IMG]

Have you tried going to bed earlier or tried to maintain a more consistent bedtime? I feel like shit sometimes if I go to bed too late, even though I might have slept for >8 hours. I really wish I could go to bed at the same time every night but I'm probably too much of an idiot (and too young, to boot) to do that.