1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many hours a week do you work?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by marc37, Mar 29, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

About 55 hours a week, including a halfday on a weekend.  Of course, in academia, "work" is a malleable term.

I also do suplemental work, for which I am not paid directly. I's hard work; but I love the perks. Pimpin' ain't easy.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

40 hours at work, plus a good 20+ hours for school every week. I still find some time to socialize, really depends on my school workload (don't want to dip below a 3.8 GPA).

Jon.

3. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

I average between 45-50 hours a week in the office. More certain times of the year. I also do another 5-10 hours of work on the train, at home etc.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

having worked in a few countries, I think that there is some truth in that.

I keep it to about 55 or so. I used to do better than 70 on average, but I was pretty crazy then. I have had really crazy periods in my life when I worked harder. 2-3 times a year I'll be at a trade show where I do a 16 hour day for set up, then 4-6 12 hour days selling, 2 hours a day in transit, and maybe 4-6 hours drinking and eating with customers, then 8-12 hours folding up. that can be a really tough week.

I try to get up and on the phone and computer by 5 30 am,  and then get home before 6 pm, with only half an hour or so after I get home on the phone and email. and between 5 am and 6 pm, I will get to the gym and have lunch, so it isn't all work.

oh, and I do it cause I like my work, and I have a family to feed, and a future to worry about, and I have certain goals, both personal and career wise that I want to hit.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

i work 40 hours per week. i can't afford to work any more than that, what with having a life and all.

6. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

As a freelancer, it varies wildly. When there's not a lot of stuff in the pipeline, I have a lot of free time to screw around. But if I'm busy, then I'm at the computer 12+ hrs a day, as I tend to just immerse myself in a project until it's finished and rarely come up for air. Days, nights, weekends - it's all the same...

7. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

Quite the opposite, actually. I work in advertising. [​IMG] I work so much because I have a very demanding client with a decent budget, and because my agency is severely understaffed. Simple as that, really.

8. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Legal = 35 h

Most of people = 39 h with added days off (difference between 39 and 35)

May be 42/43 h

We have 5 weeks of holiday + 1 to 3 weeks (if we work more than 35h) + may be 12 bank holidays

9. ernest

yes US have a low productivity...

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I work 40 hours a week at Depot and another 30-35 hours delivering pizza.

I'd like to think I'm desperate for cash, not boring.

11. ernest

(CTGuy @ April 01 2005,21:26) Personally I am willing to work an incredible amount when necessary, but to work more the 60-70 hours a week on a consistent basis tells me you are either desperate for cash or you are a very boring person.
    I work 40 hours a week at Depot and another 30-35 hours delivering pizza. I'd like to think I'm desperate for cash, not boring.
    How much do you make for one pizza ?

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Ernest - I make $7.35 an hour delivering pizza base pay, and 80 cents a delivery for mileage, plus tips.

Yeah Home Depot. You've heard of it? Heh.

13. ernest

How can someone who works 17h per day have time and desire to post 15 messages per day on a forum talking about clothes?

working 72h without sleeping = impossible

14. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior Member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    (jmswentworth @ Mar. 29 2005,16:04) On average I work 17 hours a day (not including driving) I work between 3 and 7 days a week, depending on the amount of work I have So if we average that as 4.5 days a week I work (on average) 76.5 hours a week. The most I have ever worked is 3 straight 24 hour shifts, i.e. 72 hours straight. The UK average is 40 hours The French and Italian averages are a little less I think. I think the Swiss and German averages are higher
    How can someone who works 17h per day have time and desire to post 15 messages per day on a forum talking about clothes? working 72h without sleeping = impossible
    I work 3 days in a week.

15. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior Member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    Impossible for SMURF or Farmer.