• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Dress Shirts Per Order?

How many dress shirts do you usually buy per order?

Votes: 6 23.1%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 7 26.9%

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • More than 4

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you buy dress shirts, how many do you usually buy/order at a time? For example, a 2-pack. This can apply to RTW, MTM, and bespoke. And please state why, as in 2-for-1 deals save money.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 is probably average. I know what fits me and what stylistic details I like at this point, so I prefer to buy in bulk. The 4 for 100GBP deal for Tyrwhitt occurs pretty often, so I just wait until I want 4 new shirts and buy them more efficiently in bulk. Shipping per shirt is probably a little bit cheaper too, though I haven't confirmed this. Same idea for MTM. I've nailed my pattern and prefer to buy a decent number so I don't have to worry about placing another order for awhile. Many MTM shirtmakers also prefer a minimum of 3-4 shirts as well.

I do ask for a trial shirt the first time I try a MTM shirtmaker, but I'll generally order 4 shirts or so and have the shirtmaker make adjustments after I see the first one.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually order 2 or 3 at a time because buying one is a waste of time and energy, IMO. I just wait until I want a few. That's usually my strategy with most less costly things.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Drinkwater's of Cambridge and twice per year he will have a buy 5 MTM and get the 6th free - so I buy 5 with each order.

I've done this twice now, so my ordering quantity may decline after the next batch of 5 since I have every staple covered and I am getting into patterns now.

I'd almost never buy a one off dress shirt, especially if it's MTM. Waiting a month for just 1 shirt strikes me as extremely silly and unnecessary.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Results and replies interesting, but they stopped abruptly. More, please.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been getting shirts from Mercer for the past 15 months or so. I have never ordered more than two, and on my last order, placed yesterday, I only ordered one. Why? Because a lot of this is just the fun of having something to look forward to. Also, I like David Mercer. Truth be told, I probably don't really need many dressy shirts, being fairly well fixed in that department already.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other thing to keep in mind is that the habits of SF could well be different from the habits of the average guy (understand that this could well be the point of this poll). In my experience, most men hate shopping and try to do things as efficiently as possible. Perfect example is a friend of mine who recently needed pants, walked into Brooks Brothers to figure out his size and promptly bought 6 pairs of their basic Madison cut flat front trousers. I suspect a lot of men would do the same thing with shirts.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Depends. I likely average out at 2 shirts per order. If I'm playing with things like collars or more "interesting" fabrics, one-off suits me well, as I don't want to be stuck with 5 of the same mistake. I also fluctuate in weight relatively easily, so my pattern requires tweaking often. While I try to avoid ordering when excessively heavy or excessively thin, I generally don't order bulk for that reason.

However, I'd likely never order just one semi-spread sky blue chambray shirt at a time. If I know it's going to be a workhorse I knock it all out in one fowl swoop.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a large enough collection that I just buy whatever I feel like getting at the moment. Can be one or several. I get my shirts from a local shirtmaker so no shipping charges to consider and no real advantage or disadvantage to ordering either just one or multiple shirts.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to have a blow-out every 6 months rather than a single new shirt every week.

Normally 8 shirts and 8 ties in one RTW trip. I generally like to buy suits in pairs as well.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like shopping, and I really enjoy my local menswear shop Ansons, so I usually just buy one of anything at a time so that I can go more often and see the rotating selection.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is "one fell swoop" coined by Shakespeare and asked by MacDuff.

I believ it refers to the diving movement of a Bird of Prey into a wooded area (a fell) to attack.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just order one at a time, but I already have quite a few shirts and don't need many more (I probably don't order more than 2-3 per year). I was ordering 3-4 in each order back when I was still building my wardrobe.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I thought it was one fell swoop. Now I feel like Iñigo Montoya.

:facepalm: I wrote that after a LONG weekend in Reykjavik. Grammar was the least of my worries at that point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads