• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many different styles can one person have?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with having a few different looks or styles. If one adheres to a strict uniform, it could feel stifling. I can certainly relate if you're going through this "growing up" phase. On the one hand, I want to look and feel professional at work. On the other, I don't want to look like a dad. Also, there's a nagging feeling that I should dress a bit edgier since I'm still young.

Style Forum can be great while going through this stage because we get to see so many styles and people who can nail down a great aesthetic. Guys like Phat Guido, Pink Pantser, and Skinny ****** can dress fantastic in a professional setting, but still appear a bit edgy. Robbie does a great job with the casual, yet impeccably fitted, look. Also, much respect for guys like GetSmart, Zissou, and SuperBobo who go much further in terms of style and create their own, completely unique look. If I'm lucky, I could borrow a little from each of these guys and create something of my own.

Also, never be afraid to dress for the situation. Don't allow yourself to feel like you have to express yourself through one style of clothing in every situation. There are subtle ways to let your personality shine through all sorts of clothing.

/incoherence.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Often merely by wearing what's appropriate for the situation, you use/develop a different "style."

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts
I have a look that ranges from cardigans, jeans, and dress shoes to white tees, Nike Dunks, and skinny jeans. Is diversity good when it comes to fashion?

I don't see a ton of range there quite frankly.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^that was my point

No matter what I buy there is an underlying common denominator in all I wear.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the stuff to pull off a complete PG steez.

But anyways, I agree with Jet and the like. You dont have to wear a uniform. Looks might vary alot, but still be a cohesive style. I think i wear a rather wide range of items depending on mood and context, but still feel its all is the same style, regardless of dirty bucks or carhartt duck pants.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think Bobo said this above, that you can have different "styles" within the context of a cohesive aesthetic.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
depends on what you consider a different style

I just try to have an MC side and a SW/D side then a bunch in between. Change is always in progress otherwise I'll get bored. Meaning I do my best to wear something different every day.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^that was my point

No matter what I buy there is an underlying common denominator in all I wear.

Nailed it. Common theme but I do like to conceptulize other ideas besides my own core one Otherwise its too boring

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of what I wear is similar but with varying degrees of dumpyness/laziness.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Example- wide leg pants. People on this forum should be rocking them now. However because the thought process is Slim , skinny, wtf how to I put this on is still in people tend to take that route. They try on the wide leg pant, they feel akward because they aren't use to the look and revert back to skinny.

I wore my YSL trousers today, orange you proud?

Anyway, the tired statement about comfort applies here. I do agree with the common denominator statement, although i'm not really sure how some of what I wear relates to some other things. As an example, i've worn combat bootsxskinniesxtank one day to class and on a colder day later in the week sweaterxbdxtrousersxmonks. I think it all depends on the wearer.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
It's always important to dress for the context. In my much respected undergrad statistics professors words regarding the kid in the purple wig, dressing to the mean is buttondown and dockers, dressing two standard deviations above is black eyeliner, leather pants and tophat, and cool is one standard deviation above the mean. Thus anywhere beyond above 97% of people and you are an outlier, thus my friend you are one weird kid. Of course, I took it with a grain of salt since he seemed to like bow ties. In short, dress however you want as long as you're enjoying yourself.
dress however you want, just not too much how you want

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, day to day, varying greatly in fit (baggy vs. slim), formality (tee shirt/jeans vs. suit), or neatness is potentially counterproductive. There might not be any other limits. Plenty of pieces from seemingly disparate styles can be combined coherently.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Generally, day to day, varying greatly in fit (baggy vs. slim), formality (tee shirt/jeans vs. suit), or neatness is potentially counterproductive. There might not be any other limits. Plenty of pieces from seemingly disparate styles can be combined coherently.

The latter and former parts of your opinion could actually contradict each other.

c00kz

Reaction score
By benefit of doubt the keyword could be "seemingly".

I think variety is good and helps create an organic and natural vibe while still appearing coherent, so it does not appear as if you set out to satisfy only all the necessary requirements of a particular "look". I think this type of approach is pretty common in grade school girls who are growing up; they kind of create a few different "themed" ensembles usually of pieces which aren't interchangeable with one another. You see it on the cover of lower-end dept store catalogs- "RCKER girl, Preppy/Cheer", etc.

Or, they only buy pieces which fit one of those "themes" and become very lost when buying a kind of coat or shirt which doesn't go well with what they've got to work with. I think this is most common with young men, especially urban guys who buy 50 white t's, 25 fitted new era's, a small library of dunks and 10 pairs of raw denim. Or the guys who buy a whole bunch of skinnies, a whole bunch of vans, and a whole bunch of slim plaid casual shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads