• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many brown shades are there in EG shoes?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shoes.....I never thought there will be the day when I am thinking of getting a pair. But they look absolutely gorgeous in the scans I have seen.

I am thinking of getting a pair of brown EG by mail order when they go on sale. Would you guys be kind enough to show me the different shades of brown that are available with their correponding names?

I hear that EG antiquing is legendary. My initial thought is to get a pair in dark brown to match navy and charcoal pants. Would the antiquing show in dark brown EG shoes?

Phil

Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont have any scans to show you, although I am sure some of the other members will provide them. However, the range of brown colors in EG, off the top of my head are:

Acorn Antique - a light tan, very light
Edwardian Antique - mid tan, with hints of red
Chestnut Antique- a bit darker still, with even more red
Burnt Pine- a mid tan, but no red in it
Dark Oak Antique- Dark brown

Yes, you can still see the antiquing on the darker browns, although obviously it wont show as much as it would on a pair of lighter colored shoes.

I am sure there are other browns, I just cant think of them right now. You really cant go wrong with any. I have at least one EG in each of the above shades, and I just love them. Not only is the antiquing first rate, but they really do get better looking with age.

Phil

Reaction score
Bauxite - I knew I forgot one. Never seen it in person, but in the catalog looks very similar to chestnut antique.

gracian

Reaction score
Where can you get them by mail order and on sale? That would be nice.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can email Edward Green from their website; ask them what they have available in your size (that's on sale); and they should reply to you in a day or so. Simple as that.

DXBMark

Reaction score
Dark Brown Delapre, Ebony Delapre (not sure whether its properly characterized as an almost black dark brown) and Dark brown Utah are nice and cover the very dark end of the range, I find the dark oak antique to be a bit medium rather than true dark brown.

Word of caution about mail ordering EGs- they are totally cool about returns but sizing can be very different from US- they guideline half a size down from your US size- but, for example, I take a 10.5D in most Aldens, but an 8.5 E or F or 9E in most EG. It's not just length and width. American shoes tend to assume the line across the ball of the foot runs at a pretty sharp diagonal to the first knuckle of the big toe, EG and most English shoes (with a few exceptions) assume that the line across the ball of the foot is almost perpendicular.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Brown Delapre, Ebony Delapre (not sure whether its properly characterized as an almost black dark brown) and Dark brown Utah are nice and cover the very dark end of the range, I find the dark oak antique to be a bit medium rather than true dark brown.

Word of caution about mail ordering EGs- they are totally cool about returns but sizing can be very different from US- they guideline half a size down from your US size- but, for example, I take a 10.5D in most Aldens, but an 8.5 E or F or 9E in most EG. It's not just length and width. American shoes tend to assume the line across the ball of the foot runs at a pretty sharp diagonal to the first knuckle of the big toe, EG and most English shoes (with a few exceptions) assume that the line across the ball of the foot is almost perpendicular.
I second this word of caution. The last that a particular shoe is made on also makes a big difference. For example, I take a half size different between the 202 and 82 lasts. Unless you know how your foot will fit each last (or last family, I suppose), you are taking a significant risk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads