Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How many accessories should you wear at once?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Teddy_T, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Teddy_T

Teddy_T Member

How much is too much when it comes to accessories? Between these how many of them and in which combination would you wear? Can you wear all of them at once without looking ridiculous?

Pocket Square
    Tie Bar / Tie Pin
    Boutonniere / Lapel pin
    Wristwatch

Thanks.

2. GT-R

GT-R Well-Known Member

You can wear all of them except the tie bar. Personally, I wouldn't wear the wrist watch either.

People will say "wear what you want, it's your prerogative". NO. Listen to my advice.

3. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Senior member

I wear a tie bar .......... does that make me a bad person?:)

4. maxalex

maxalex Senior member

Look at pictures of Prince Charles who frequently wears a pocket square, boutonnière, and lapel pin all at once. Granted the pin is often relevant to whatever event he is attending, but it works. Of course you are not heir to any throne (I'm guessing) so whether you can get away with it depends largely on your occupation and self-confidence.

As Charles wears only double breasted jackets and never leaves them unbuttoned it is impossible for me to say if he also wears a tie bar. I would bet my crown not.

5. Tobes

Tobes Member

I agree. It's down to confidence, the event you'll be wearing all of this to and whether you've paired the whole outfit well. Even consider adding a button-up vest to make it a three-piece suit. I think three-piece suits looks great.

6. Teddy_T

Teddy_T Member

Thanks, buy why not the tie bar?
    And if it’s not white or black tie why not wear a watch? I’m used to wearing them, without one it just doesn’t feel right.

7. GT-R

GT-R Well-Known Member

Tie bars scream, at least to me, that you don't know what you're doing and put every accessory on because you can. And it's usually the guy in some woefully tight suit that he can't even button. It also throws the aesthetic off.

[​IMG]

You can wear a watch. I just don't like wearing them.

8. GT-R

GT-R Well-Known Member

Yes, you are very naughty.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

My quick take on this question--and this is strictly my $.02, I don't claim them to be ironclad dogmata of timeless style or anything like that --would be as follows:

I always wear a wristwatch. When I am wearing a suit or sportcoat, the square is always there. Boutonniere: once in a very long while if I am in a particularly jaunty or festive mood. Lapel pin: Maybe if it signified an award of valor or chivalry that I had earned or a fraternal order I was especially proud to be associated with. Since none of those categories applies to me, I don't wear 'em. Tie bar: If I had a job that mandated wearing shirt and tie sans jacket (as in some types of retail sales positions) I would wear a tie bar...or if I rode a motorcycle while wearing coat and tie, otherwise no. Tie pin: Never, positively never! Why would I want to poke a hole in my good neckties?

10. ChrisTheMan

ChrisTheMan New Member

Yes you can. I usually wear even more accessories at once. Say, a ring and couple of bracelets on top of that. But, obviously, there are as many opinions on this as there are people on this planet. ;)

11. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Senior member

"Fifteen is the minimum. I know Brian, for example, has thirty seven pieces of flair. And a terrific smile."

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

12. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Senior member

That should have quote marks around it.

13. timhortons

timhortons Senior member

Pocket Square: OK always. Different occasions = different squares.
    Tie Bar: Avoid. Unless you want to look like a Macy's ad for cheap, trendy, low quality stuff
    Tie Pin: OK if matched with pocket protector. Tie pin may be used without pocket protector if the goal is to look like a douche-y poorly dressed businessman from 1970-1985 and don't mind poking holes through your beautiful, delicate Charvet silks
    Boutonniere: Okay on festive occasions. Avoid at the big sales meeting with the Microsoft Board of Directors
    Lapel pin: Too trendy
    Wristwatch: Always ok assuming it isn't gaudy and a ridiculously oversized sport watch.

14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Senior member

Whats a pocket protector?

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A pocket protector is or was a sort of flexible plastic sheath you could put in a shirt or jacket pocket to carry pens to keep ink from getting on your garment or having the clips on the pens fraying your pocket. It was the infallible mark of the nerd, dork, dweeb or whatever you want to call him.