1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How loosely is a topcoat supposed to fit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Aug 1, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I saw a topcoat I'd like to buy online, but I've never had any sort of overcoat before. The vendor measured the coat's shoulder and armpit width, and these correspond to the measurements of my favorite jacket, something made of polyester I put on against rain and wind.

Would this be a good fit, or is a topcoat supposed to be even looser in the sense that it should be able to fit loosely over a jacket? I know a topcoat is supposed to fit nicely over a suit jacket, but I'm talking about a nylon/polyester type jacket for comparison where I've worn a denim jacket, a shirt, and an undershirt underneath.

Is shoulder width a good basis for a topcoat's measurements?

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

A topcoat should fit loosely, so that it is comfortable when worn over a suit jacket.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

A topcoat or overcoat is one of the things I would just never buy online. The fit is so variable I just need to try it on to be sure it's right for me.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ideally, it should fit just so over the suit. The best fits replicates the fit of the suit underneath with waist suppression, etc.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Try on a suit jacket and then try on an overcoat in that size. It should fit. If is doesn't then go up and down a size as necessary.