• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long will 'slim fit' last?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Obviously with Target, H&M et al jumping onto the slim fit bandwagon the fad does not have much longer to run. Soon those narrow lapels will be "so 2000s", and will be the fodder of future mockery.

How long do you think it will be before skinny suits have once again gone the way of huge lapels, ridiculously low gorges, massive shoulders, and other iconic looks of times gone by?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another year, maybe. Like the supah-high gorges of the mid-decade, people will pull back from the excess and revert to the mean.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Another year, maybe. Like the supah-high gorges of the mid-decade, people will pull back from the excess and revert to the mean.

possibly but then you look back at 60's-70's british stuff and you see the thin lapels/slim fit stuff. Maybe it's all cycles.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
possibly but then you look back at 60's-70's british stuff and you see the thin lapels/slim fit stuff. Maybe it's all cycles.

Of course it is. It will come and go, and this is not the first time around for the narrow-lapel thing--I think of it as a 60s look, but it probably came through before, because in fashion that's all you can do, right? Up and down, in and out.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask myself this question every time I shop.

Of the suits on this list, which items would be considered gauche a year or two from now, and which would still be ok?

RLBL
Hickey Style
Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Absolutely. And for once, it's not a look whose return I cringed to see. Although I can't say I'll miss the most extreme versions of it (cough*ThomBrowne*cough)!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Absolutely. And for once, it's not a look whose return I cringed to see. Although I can't say I'll miss the most extreme versions of it (cough*ThomBrowne*cough)!

That's just it. The Fitzgeralds and the BL stuff will still be fine. It's the really extreme stuff that will feel like the gorge-at-the-waist in a couple of years. But well-done, it will never be horrible.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trim suits will be in style for as long as trim men are in style.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
Trim suits will be in style for as long as trim men are in style.

I agree. It's more appealing aesthetically and anything that gives off a slim figure is one that's gonna (and should) last.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman's Magazine of Fashion, July 1830:

seasidejuly1830et7.jpg

Note: it says Sea Side Dresses. This is indeed beach wear
smile.gif

Icarium

Reaction score
If slim fit goes out of style, I will need to stop wearing clothes. By definition, things that fit me are slim.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
If slim fit goes out of style, I will need to stop wearing clothes. By definition, things that fit me are slim.

+1

2sweet

Reaction score
I love fitted clothing and slim straight leg jeans, but I still hope there's a place for bootcut jeans in the near future. I look a lot better in bootcut than straight leg.

Also, these trends are hard to predict. A couple years ago, I thought the distressed, washed, overly graphics laden youth apparel market would dry up. Now, every knucklehead teenager has a closet full of ridiculous hoodies with 8 zillion triangles and 50 colors. It's sad.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium

+2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads