• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long to wait before follow-up call/email?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After sending in a resume, how long should one wait before some sort of follow-up communication?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These aren't jobs that require cover letters.

Besides, cover letters are the dumbest things in the world.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
So how did you apply? Email? Phone call?
Originally Posted by Connemara

lawl except for the fact that they still get used

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Says the young man with no job.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If they are interested they will call you.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can hate on cover letters, job or no job.

I applied to these via e-mail.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then the email is the cover letter.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I applied for this job:

President, Brooklyn College

\t\t\t

THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

CAREER OPPORTUNITY

Central Office

Title
\t

President

Location/Department
\t

Brooklyn College
\t

Position Detail
\t

Executive Compensation Plan - The position is available on or before September 1, 2009.

FLSA Status
\t

Exempt

Compensation
\t

Commensurate with education and experience

Web Site
\t

www.brooklyn.cuny.edu

Notice Number
\t

EA15974

Closing Date
\t

Review of applications to begin no later than March 13, 2009 and will continue until position is filled.

POSITION DESCRIPTION AND DUTIES

\t
The Board of Trustees of The City University of New York (CUNY) and the Brooklyn College Presidential Search Committee invite nominations and applications for the position of President of Brooklyn College. The President serves as the chief academic and administrative officer, reporting to the Chancellor and working within policy set by the CUNY Board of Trustees.

Established in 1930, Brooklyn College has a reputation for academic excellence in undergraduate and graduate studies. Known for innovative liberal arts programs, it offers students - many of them the first in their families to attend college - a high quality, affordable education leading to productive careers and lives rich in opportunities. With an outstanding faculty, a beautiful campus, and a reputation for being "student-centered," the College has for the last six consecutive years been ranked among "America's Best Value Colleges" by the Princeton Review.

Brooklyn College has just completed an extraordinarily productive decade. Its faculty has been awarded Pulitzers, Guggenheims, and Fulbrights, and has a strong record in scholarship and research. Well over half of the faculty was hired in the last nine years, bringing new ideas and new energy to the classroom. Its academic programs, distinguished by a nationally-acclaimed Core Curriculum, and its strong internship and pre-professional services endow students with the credentials they need to succeed. It enrolls some 13,000 undergraduates and another 3,700 graduate students. Its graduates are admitted to prestigious graduate schools and have been selected for Rhodes, Beinecke, and Truman Scholarships.

Undergraduate students are the pride of the College - high achieving students apply in large numbers to the Macaulay Honors College, the BA/MD Program, and other honors programs at Brooklyn College. The College offers more than 60 graduate programs, many of which are nationally recognized.

The College's current operating budget is $102 million, funded by New York State and student tuition. A major capital construction and renovation program, financed by more than $500 million in public and private funds and including a library, student services building, performing arts center, and science complex is underway. A student residence is being constructed nearby.

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

\t
The Chancellor and Brooklyn College seek a dynamic, visionary leader, noted for personal and professional integrity, to inspire students, work well with faculty, engage its distinguished alumni, and guide the institution to yet higher levels of achievement and renown.

Preferred qualifications for the position include:

"¢ Demonstrated record of senior management success in an institution of higher education or institution of comparable scope, with proven strengths in strategic planning, budgeting and management.
"¢ Commitment to the College's mission to provide a top-quality education to a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic student body, and to building an inclusive and diverse community fully engaged with the rich cultural, ethnic, religious and economic pluralism of New York City.
"¢ Record of leadership in developing quality academic programs and supporting a distinguished faculty, in an environment of shared governance.
"¢ An earned doctorate, university-level teaching experience, and a record of scholarly achievement and professional distinction.
"¢ Strong record of success in attracting financial support from foundations, corporations, governmental sources and private donors.
"¢ Commitment to enhancing the quality of student life and strengthening the delivery of educational and support services to an urban and diverse student body.
"¢ Record of leadership in technological innovation.
"¢ The capacity to communicate persuasively the College's mission and programs to multiple local and national constituencies, including alumni/ae, the community, and governmental bodies.

TO APPLY
\t

APPLICATIONS: Applicants should send:

(1) a letter expressing their interest in the position,

(2) their curriculum vitae, and

(3) names of five references.

References will not be contacted without the applicant's prior permission. All inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in the strictest confidence.

NOMINATIONS: Nominators should send a letter of nomination and, if possible, the nominee's curriculum vitae.

Address:
\t
Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Ms. Dolly MartÃnez
Executive Director of Executive Search and Evaluation
The City University of New York
535 East 80th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10075

Email address: [email protected]
Kindly note, "President, Brooklyn College Search" in the subject line.

TOP OF PAGE
The City University of New York
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Immigration Reform and Control Act/
Americans with Disabilities Act Employer

My Mom would be so proud
smile.gif
And Conne note that they ask for a letter with the application.

BTW: My first act upon becoming President of Brooklyn College would be to award Conne a JD with highest honors. If Obama could become the PSP POTUS, then why can't I be the PSP of Brooklyn College? I don't know if I would move from Houston back to Brooklyn though.

PS: I really did send them a resume. I'd say my chances right now of becoming Brooklyn College Pres. are as good as Obama's chances of becoming POTUS were in 2001. Wish me luck.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
Nice rnold!

Thanks! And I kid you not. Aren't you a New Yorker that formerly went to SUNY? Can I use you as a reference?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Thanks! And I kid you not. Aren't you a New Yorker that formerly went to SUNY? Can I use you as a reference?
Indeed, I did attend a SUNY. I will tell them about the chronic problems of New York's public universities and how rnoldh can solve them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads