• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long to wait before follow-up call/email?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
lol so uh... how long should you wait?

In my rather limited experience, I would include follow up information in the cover letter or email body, and specify that if I hadn't heard back from them, I would contact them within either a week or 5 business days. That seems pretty reasonable, IMO.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nobody is going to hire you conne. Times are tough. Companies want people with actual skills.
teacha.gif

trewsx7

Reaction score
One week.

And yes, you should include a note that you will follow-up in a week at the end of the cover letter.

trewsx7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I can hate on cover letters, job or no job.

I applied to these via e-mail.

I strongly advise that you send a resume & cover letter as a Word Attachment, unless the position clearly states no cover letter, or only accepts emailed resumes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
morganSwingers_003.jpg

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
If they are interested they will call you.
Not always. I know of a few companies that won't hire people unless they follow up.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The worst part of all this is that I've come across a fair number of jobs that I wanted to apply to. However, my class schedule precludes me from working the hours those jobs require.

*sigh*

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trewsx7
One week.

And yes, you should include a note that you will follow-up in a week at the end of the cover letter.

I wrote that I look forward to hearing back from them, not that I would follow up. I haven't heard back and it's going on week 2, so I'll follow up with an email tomorrow. Any helpful tips on what to say in the email?

I should also add, that I ended up finding a contact in the company within the 2 week period and gave them my resume. They said they'd get it into HR. I don't know how smart it is to rely on the person giving my resume in, but I also don't want to flood HR with 3 resumes, 2 emails, and 2 cover letters. Best plan of action?

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trewsx7
I strongly advise that you send a resume & cover letter as a Word Attachment, unless the position clearly states no cover letter, or only accepts emailed resumes.

No--when I was looking to hire an intern at my old job, I really hated "cover letters as attachments". Make the cover letter the email. Who really can be bothered opening a separate document?

Also, regardless of whether or not a CL is required, ALWAYS HAVE ONE--esp if you're applying via email. It doesn't have to be long, and it definitely doesn't have to be in the traditional cover letter format, but even if no one reads the letter, it shows you actually put some thought into the application. Depending on the type of corporate culture the company you're applying to has, a playful, original cover letter could really distinguish you from the masses.

Lastly, a few days after applying, you should call even if you failed to mention you would in the CL. Hell, even if you don't get THE job, try to get on the HR/contact person's good side and mention things like you want to be kept in mind for future openings then continue to contact back every once in awhile without being a nuisance. If and when a job does open up, you'll be the first in mind as the persistent mofo. You'd be surprised how much persistence pays.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
I wrote that I look forward to hearing back from them, not that I would follow up. I haven't heard back and it's going on week 2, so I'll follow up with an email tomorrow. Any helpful tips on what to say in the email?

I should also add, that I ended up finding a contact in the company within the 2 week period and gave them my resume. They said they'd get it into HR. I don't know how smart it is to rely on the person giving my resume in, but I also don't want to flood HR with 3 resumes, 2 emails, and 2 cover letters. Best plan of action?

Don't use email... CALL. Call right now! Call HR and call the contact you had. Mention you sent in a resume and how interested you are in the position and then if HR doesn't have your stuff, send it immediately and say you'll call back in a few days to check in again.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
These aren't jobs that require cover letters.

Besides, cover letters are the dumbest things in the world.

I don't know if they're dumb or not, but they are often the difference between the person whose resume gets serious consideration and a person whose resume gets thrown in the garbage.

The resume that comes with a cover letter that starts with: "Mike Smith at your firm, who I met at the Cockring coference, advised me that your department has an opening for the asshat position. I am writing to express my interest in that position" gets serious consideration (assuming Mike Smith is a good guy).

The resume that comes with no cover letter often gets tossed because it looks exactly like the 150 other resumes that came in.

Take this from a guy that was very heavily involved in his former firm's hiring process.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
Don't use email... CALL. Call right now! Call HR and call the contact you had. Mention you sent in a resume and how interested you are in the position and then if HR doesn't have your stuff, send it immediately and say you'll call back in a few days to check in again.

I sent another email, still no response. My friend who is currently with the company said that he's not able to give HR my resume (??). Also, I can't find a number to HR, and I'm afraid now I'm being a pest more than anything. I suppose I'll try calling Customer Service, and getting to HR through there... but I'll hold off on that for a little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads