• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long till Hermes cartoon/icon ties are laughably outdated? (like acid wash jeans)

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to have a certain cachet to be able to pull them off properly though. I wouldn't dare.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Its already outdated.

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
+1. I don't see many wearing them these days.

Not in Paris, I see at least one every day. Even I own one.

For the most part I think it looks poor because rich 8e arrondissement businessmen try to pair them with pinstripe suits and white shirts. A whimsical tie demands a sort of dÃ
00a9.png
gagÃ
00a9.png
outfit, not officewear.

arc

Reaction score
I really want that hippo tie too. I would be willing to pay full Hermes retail for a tie that sweet.
inlove.gif
I agree with LabelKing to an extent about the shirt, but I take exception to his use of "prefer". I think the tie and hippo-print shirt would be best worn together. What does Flusser have to say about matching two different hippo prints? Also where may one source a hippo pocket square in complementary-but-not-matching colors? Furthermore, would Cleverley be able to make for me a hippo medallion on my next pair of bespoke shoes, I wonder.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I believe that all neckties should give expression only to the most weighty and serious concerns faced by mankind. There's just no place for whimsical designs in this vale of tears that we call earthly life. In the mid-1980s, right after the Chernobyl disaster, I bespoke a tie with a repeating pattern of deformed children. In doing so I helped to educate my peers about the importance of nuclear safety. Nobody would laugh at a tie like that, even 25 years later.

I am now thinking about bespeaking a tie that would feature oil-soaked birds.

So, this shirt as a necktie?
2346-store.jpg

Made in California

Reaction score
Reevolving, how do feel about the following.. I feel these ties are perfect because they are able to say "adorable" and "brand-whore" in the same instance!

211421_4E001_4868_zoom.jpg

211420_4B001_9579_zoom.jpg

Now, no longer do you have to choose between status symbol and lovable cartoons.
thumbs-up.gif

BBC

Reaction score
Hey Hermes, the club tie says (with a little novelty):

store-tie.jpg

And, since where's talking about Hippo ties, here's my favorite...it's very serious

7731.jpg

arc

Reaction score
That J Press one has been sold out for a while, or I'd have bought it.

Who knew hippos were such a popular tie animal?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Who knew hippos were such a popular tie animal?

"Of course, because I am cute" --Baby Hippo

tumblr_l2pegpk4Nk1qc0liro1_400.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hippos cause more human deaths than any other animal in Africa.

I can't stand the cartoon ties but I agree, they will be around as long as there are ties.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hippos cause more human deaths than any other animal in Africa. I can't stand the cartoon ties but I agree, they will be around as long as there are ties.
Perhaps, then, the more important issue to address here is "When will ties become extinct" and "what will the last tie look like?" and will this mean a sequel opportunity for James Fenimore Cooper?

arc

Reaction score

I now wonder which animal pattern tie is responsible for the most deaths (presumably strangulations) worldwide.

em36

Reaction score
Hermes designs correspond to certain industries or pastimes. That, and women of all ages (daughters) love them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks like i'm going to have a lot of competition for this hippo tie
fight[1].gif
Originally Posted by onix
"Of course, because I am cute" --Baby Hippo
and these are the two reasons why i want the hippo tie. it tells you that i am cute but i will also kill you. that is, if you're one of those people who think that one's tie pattern has anything to do with his character
lol8[1].gif

jhva3

Reaction score
Those whimsical animal ties really hold their value as well. Check out ebay and see how much they are going for used. Whenever someone posts one on SF, they sell immediately and generally for way more than almost any other tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads