1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How long till Hermes cartoon/icon ties are laughably outdated? (like acid wash jeans)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jul 5, 2010.

1. onix

onix Senior member

Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters.

i need the hippo tie and the one with the bear sitting on a small island.

generally, the kind of person who would judge me by the kind of tie i would wear is the kind of person i would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters.

What about fun and whimsical cartoon character avatars [​IMG]?

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality photo. But no matter how curmudgeonly you are, you can't not love this design. It's aristocratic centaurs! That's not gimmicky or toddler fashion. It's genius is what it is.

4. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

i want this hippo tie

+1

5. Bull

Bull Senior member

An Hermes tie will always indicate good taste and an appropriate level of WASPy tongue-in-cheek humor.

So, "never ever," if that makes sense.

6. robin

robin Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

7. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG]

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

i want this hippo tie

x2. I want a Hippo tie, now.

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I see these around. They're incredibly stupid. Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters. Wear good clothes instead.
    You read all that from a tie? [​IMG]

10. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

You read all that from a tie? [​IMG]

Sure. At some point, the guy wearing that tie walked into a store that sells luxury goods, walked past all the beautiful examples of craftmanship and style, and paid Hermes money for a "fun" tie.

I don't want to hang out with someone who has done that.

11. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Sure. At some point, the guy wearing that tie walked into a store that sells luxury goods, walked past all the beautiful examples of craftmanship and style, and paid Hermes money for a "fun" tie.

Maybe he already owns all those other ties.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I would prefer a hippo-print dress shirt.

13. onix

onix Senior member

Interesting.

1. B&S people will disagree.

2. Now this is a situation, let me know what you think about me: we both come to a mutual friend's summer casual cocktail party. This is the first time we met, and never heard about each other. I wear regular MC stuffs with a sport coat and a navy hippo tie. What can you tell about me?

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Interesting.

1. B&S people will disagree.

2. Now this is a situation, let me know what you think about me: we both come to a mutual friend's summer casual cocktail party. This is the first time we met, and never heard about each other. I wear regular MC stuffs with a sport coat and a navy hippo tie. What can you tell about me?

(SF member answer)
    Why isnt he wearing a pocket square?
    Are those cuffs only 1"? Gawd.
    I bet he got that tie on B&S, or eBay.
    I wonder what his SF handle is.

(non-SF member answer)
    Damn bro, that dude is ballin with one of those Hermes ties. He must be rich.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I would prefer a hippo-print dress shirt.

I think you should commission a tie-maker to create a tie with the dinocreature in your avatar as the repeating cartoon pattern. I can see it working well on a gold backdrop.

16. robin

robin Senior member

17. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I believe that all neckties should give expression only to the most weighty and serious concerns faced by mankind. There's just no place for whimsical designs in this vale of tears that we call earthly life. In the mid-1980s, right after the Chernobyl disaster, I bespoke a tie with a repeating pattern of deformed children. In doing so I helped to educate my peers about the importance of nuclear safety. Nobody would laugh at a tie like that, even 25 years later. I am now thinking about bespeaking a tie that would feature oil-soaked birds.
    = Winner.
    I see these around. They're incredibly stupid. Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters. Wear good clothes instead.
    = Loser.
    Sure. At some point, the guy wearing that tie walked into a store that sells luxury goods, walked past all the beautiful examples of craftmanship and style, and paid Hermes money for a "fun" tie. I don't want to hang out with someone who has done that.
    And if I buy a used, authentic Hermes tie on eBay for $25 how does that fit into your idiotic little schema?

18. Imperator

Imperator Senior member

And if I buy a used, authentic Hermes tie on eBay for $25 how does that fit into your idiotic little schema?

He's got a snide little retort for that too, don't worry.

19. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Well-Known Member

It may be that people who wear these ties are expressively-challenged, but your posts in this thread strike me as singularly joyless. Why so surly?

20. NachoBroadway

NachoBroadway Senior member

I'll have a Vineyard Vines tie in the stash, looks good for my line of business which is corporate sales. The older golfing crowd get a rich snotty joy of it.