How long till Hermes cartoon/icon ties are laughably outdated? (like acid wash jeans)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jul 5, 2010.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Its already outdated.

+1. I don't see many wearing them these days.

2. onix

onix Senior member

I am just wondering how long this gimmick/fad "toddler fashion" has been going on. (Little wheelbarrows, elephants, etc)
    Since about 1986-1987 if my catalogs treat me right. So it has been on for more than 2 decades. Many many other reputable makers jumped the boats too including Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Drakes, Ferragamo, etc.,
    Is this fashion already outdated?
    Have slowed down in the US, but have been growing very strongly in other markets, especially in Asia.
    If not, how long do you give it before people look downright silly wearing this stuff?
    Depends on your lifestyle, they can always be appropriate/fun for many events. And hence, never be "outdated".

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Wow, 20 years. Thanks Onix.
    I had never seen this pattern until a few years ago.
    Then again, I never really cared about ties, and probably never noticed.

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

I see these around. They're incredibly stupid.

Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters.

Wear good clothes instead.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i need the hippo tie and the one with the bear sitting on a small island.

generally, the kind of person who would judge me by the kind of tie i would wear is the kind of person i would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening...

6. onix

onix Senior member

Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters.

i need the hippo tie and the one with the bear sitting on a small island.

generally, the kind of person who would judge me by the kind of tie i would wear is the kind of person i would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters.

What about fun and whimsical cartoon character avatars [​IMG]?

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality photo. But no matter how curmudgeonly you are, you can't not love this design. It's aristocratic centaurs! That's not gimmicky or toddler fashion. It's genius is what it is.

9. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

i want this hippo tie

+1

10. Bull

Bull Senior member

An Hermes tie will always indicate good taste and an appropriate level of WASPy tongue-in-cheek humor.

So, "never ever," if that makes sense.

11. robin

robin Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG]

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

i want this hippo tie

x2. I want a Hippo tie, now.

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I see these around. They're incredibly stupid. Generally, the kind of person who would wear an Hermes hippo tie is the kind of person I would least like to hang out with for an afternoon/evening... one of those people who think you can inject "fun" and "whimsicality" into your wardrobe using little cartoon characters. Wear good clothes instead.
    You read all that from a tie? [​IMG]

15. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

You read all that from a tie? [​IMG]

Sure. At some point, the guy wearing that tie walked into a store that sells luxury goods, walked past all the beautiful examples of craftmanship and style, and paid Hermes money for a "fun" tie.

I don't want to hang out with someone who has done that.