• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long should side vents be?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask because I noticed on 2 of my suit coats which are side vented the vents seem on the short side. I have another suit where the vents go up to where my belt is.

To self: (Hmmm, perhaps the overall length of the coat is a tad short even thouh it's my tagged size & bought new? I'll have to check tonight.)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think there's a correct length. It depends on the style and your preferences.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
11".

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I make side vents to the height of the pocket. That is how I was trained and it works for me.

Vent height is subjective just as lapel width is. Totally up to the whim of the designer or the wearer.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I actually measured them at 11"

So the other coat is off? Must be like a 15" vent.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
or 11"

that is also a correct answer.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
11" seems the closest thing there is to a "standard." The thing about vents is, a small change in either direction makes the coat look substantially different. The deepest side vents I have seen are 12", and that only for very tall guys. Any more and the rear flap starts to look like a trap door.

10" vents can work well on a short guy. Any shorter, and you are really making a fashion statement.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it is aligned with the pocket, bottom jacket button and belt, you're pretty much in the zone IMO. Depending on your body/size and how long you prefer your jacket, that may mean 11" or 9.5" or 13"

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" for the record. I'm going to measure both when I get home & see what's what. I'm thinking I might have the Mantoni's flaps shortened a smidge because I feel like it's a trap door.
smile.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I ask because I noticed on 2 of my suit coats which are side vented the vents seem on the short side. I have another suit where the vents go up to where my belt is.

To self: (Hmmm, perhaps the overall length of the coat is a tad short even thouh it's my tagged size & bought new? I'll have to check tonight.)

Side vent lenghten goos with jacket style Ex: a casual jacket can have vents short as 5" , a dress jacket look good long side vents . Long side vent start 1" down of your waist point ,so according a tall you ar can be from 9" to 14"

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measured the vents:

The longest was 10.5" & the shortest was 8.25".

I was suprised. I'll have to take that 10.5 in to the tailor to get it fitted better, as I had the waist supressed but the bastage did just that, without fixing the rest, so it looks like I'm wearing a short dress
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
8" vents on someone 6' 4" is really short. I did that once, on a linen jacket to give it a more sporty look. I don't think I would ever do it on a business suit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would not functionality, ie, ease of accessing the backpocket of the trouser, play into the decision also?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but these are the best looking/fitting suits I have, so I'll leave them be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads