• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long should overcoats be?

noobanker

Reaction score
I just bought a single breasted, peak lapel Kiton overcoat that is fairly lightweight and casual (leather details on the collar, a zipper pocket on the exterior and two flap pockets, patch on the elbow, herringbone)

it’s a nice coat as one expects from Kiton but unfortunately it’s slightly above the knee.

how long should an overcoat be?
Is there any use for a casual coat that is above the knee?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on the style.

From what you described, a little above the knee sounds like a good length for that style, but it's hard to say without seeing a photo of you in the coat.

Best way is to just put on the coat and see how you look. Think about the total look and don't focus on just length.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The style you describe honestly sounds much more casual which most definitely should be above the knee...

noobanker

Reaction score
It depends on the style.

From what you described, a little above the knee sounds like a good length for that style, but it's hard to say without seeing a photo of you in the coat.

Best way is to just put on the coat and see how you look. Think about the total look and don't focus on just length.

yeah I think it looks kind of awkward, sadly.
Could’ve been a great deal, but I’ll have to return

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoat length isn't as closely of a set "rule" like suit jackets and SCs due to the closed quarters IMO.

I've a DB polo coat that hits just above my knee. It works, but isn't preferred for me. I'd like it to be a solid 6" longer and below knee.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It might be worth mentioning that, arguably as part of the long-lasting (but now gradually fading) trend for shorter/tighter tailored garments (shorter jackets, low-rise/high-water trousers, etc.) RTW coats in most styles have become significantly shorter, even relatively to the tendency in the 2nd half of the 20th C. for shorter overcoats (in any style).

Coats that used to end at the upper thigh like pea coats and barbours seems to end just below the crotch; lower-thigh coats like coverts and car coats now end at the upper thigh, etc.

One can, of course, still find more 'classically' styled ones but it's very possible to get a shot one which, among other things, obviously provides less warmth.

An example of a coat that seems to me like an over-long jacket, rather than a coat...

TS00.jpg

noobanker

Reaction score
It might be worth mentioning that, arguably as part of the long-lasting (but now gradually fading) trend for shorter/tighter tailored garments (shorter jackets, low-rise/high-water trousers, etc.) RTW coats in most styles have become significantly shorter, even relatively to the tendency in the 2nd half of the 20th C. for shorter overcoats (in any style).

Coats that used to end at the upper thigh like pea coats and barbours seems to end just below the crotch; lower-thigh coats like coverts and car coats now end at the upper thigh, etc.

One can, of course, still find more 'classically' styled ones but it's very possible to get a shot one which, among other things, obviously provides less warmth.

An example of a coat that seems to me like an over-long jacket, rather than a coat...

View attachment 1482940

Yes, this is probably the length of the Kiton coat I got.

I will be returning.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Different topcoat styles are more effective or better proportioned at different lengths. The one pictured was once tagged as a “car coat”.
If you make a trim fitting coat to mid calf length if may look odd.
Some clients like above the knee because it doesn’t get in the way while walking and moving around. Some like maximum length to protect trousers from bad weather or for extra insulation and warmth.
The length should make sense with the styling and cut of the coat. Proportions and balance

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really call something an overcoat unless it hits the knee or lower. The one mid-thigh coat I own that I'd still consider warm at that length is a shearling.

The shorter coats get in the way less and are easier to wear - the longer ones protect your clothing and are more dramatic with their drape and whooshing coattails. Choose wisely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads