• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long should I expect to wait for a Jantzen?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darin_arrick
If I may ask:

Why the hell does anyone put up with this seemingly crappy service?! You're picky about your sleeve length, but if "6 weeks" turns into "6 months", it's OK?! No! I don't give a flip about "Chinese New Year"; that's an excuse. If you have a business, you do business. It's simple, really.

I put up with it because the customer service just isn't that important to me. I don't need another shirt right away, and I wouldn't order a Jantzen if I did. Thankfully, I have the luxury of placing an order and forgetting about it. When it arrives, it's a pleasant surprise. And, best of all, I end up with an exceptionally well-made MTO shirt -- one that rivals $250-$300 shirts in terms of construction quality -- for the whopping sum of $45. That's a spectacular deal.

I can understand why people would choose to take their business elsewhere, but what I don't understand is why some folks read about Jantzen here, then proceed to complain when they get the same indifferent customer service as everyone else. I wouldn't go bespoke if I needed a suit for interviews next week, and I wouldn't go to Charvet if I needed a $45 shirt. Jantzen is what it is; I know what it is, and I couldn't be happier, at least so far.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what exasperates us so is that we're indoctrinated to believe in capitalism, and yet this is clearly a failure thereof: I'd pay twice Jantzen's prices for twice the customer service, the same quality, and half the fabric choices.
frown.gif

The Grapist

Reaction score
I got my first shirt after about 9 weeks of waiting. The measurements were spot on except for the width of the sleeves, and that was an easy and cheap fix.

Even with the alteration, the fabric and the fit made the shirt more than worth the wait. The only other shirts that fit me like the one I got from Jantzen are Slim Fit Jil Sander shirts ($275+), and size 37 Dior Homme shirts ($345+), which is a size that is rare and ONLY carried at Dior Homme (meaning that if it goes on sale, it doesn't go on sale for a price I'm really comfortable paying).

Definitely worth the wait.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
I think what exasperates us so is that we're indoctrinated to believe in capitalism, and yet this is clearly a failure thereof: I'd pay twice Jantzen's prices for twice the customer service, the same quality, and half the fabric choices.
frown.gif

No, it's not a failure of capitalism. Since there are outlets that meet your needs, and Jantzen serves a different need, all is still Zen in the market. Call CEGO. Tom

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darin_arrick
If I may ask:

Why the hell does anyone put up with this seemingly crappy service?! You're picky about your sleeve length, but if "6 weeks" turns into "6 months", it's OK?! No! I don't give a flip about "Chinese New Year"; that's an excuse. If you have a business, you do business. It's simple, really.

I was thinking about getting some shirts from Jantzen, but what I've read has turned me off completely. Frankly, based on some of the other "online retailer" threads I've seen (about "Carlo Franco" and others, for example), I'm not sure I want to deal with them at all. I think I'd feel better about buying RTW; at least I know I'm going to get what I pay for.

My 34 cents...

I'm sure Ricky won't miss your business. I've just been too lazy to do measurements to get started with the whole process but I'm sure if I had all that done, even if it took awhile to get the shirt, you're getting $300 value for $45. I think that's worth waiting for.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I put up with it because the customer service just isn't that important to me. I don't need another shirt right away, and I wouldn't order a Jantzen if I did.

+ 1.00

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
No, it's not a failure of capitalism. Since there are outlets that meet your needs, and Jantzen serves a different need, all is still Zen in the market. Call CEGO.
Doesn't CEGO only do fittings in person? And aren't they at least three times Jantzen? This is a spatial and temporal arbitrage market inefficiency.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Doesn't CEGO only do fittings in person? And aren't they at least three times Jantzen? This is a spatial and temporal arbitrage market inefficiency.
Business school? Anyway, doesn't matter. I think Carl starts at about double Jantzen's prices, but with smaller selection of fabrics in that price range. The price of a short trip to NYC should become negligible as you order enough shirts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From what I have seen the "Jantzen being equal in quality to a $300 shirt" is a strange internet fallacy (fantasy).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
From what I have seen the "Jantzen being equal in quality to a $300 shirt" is a strange internet fallacy (fantasy).

Obviously it depends on which $300 shirt we are talking about. Relative to certain luxury brands, Jantzen outshines them. That being said, what I currently like in my shirts are things that Janzten can not do and the customer service was just not worth the aggravation so I'll get into a "bear" fetish before ordering from Jantzen ever again.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'll get into a "bear" fetish before ordering from Jantzen ever again.

???

Are you ...?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

No it's not

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads