1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How long should I expect to wait for a Jantzen?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by prozach1576, Mar 23, 2007.

1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

He's clearly in a good position to raise his prices.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I put in my 5th order in early January, sent an email early March, and still haven't heard anything. I understand that he always has a big rush up to Chinese New Year, so I suspect he's still digging his way out.

Yeah, I placed an order back in January. I got a confirmation notice (my first) after Chinese New Year.

3. kshah

kshah Senior member

Man, it kinda sucks being 20 and having to ramp up my wardrobe from a set of interview clothes to 1-3 days a week of professional dress to 5 days a week of professional dress in a period of about four months...

Do you go to U of M?

I was debating ordering from Jantzen, but I'll stick to the Barbera. Bizzochi, and RLPL avaliable for a few dollars more on the web.

4. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Do you go to U of M?

I was debating ordering from Jantzen, but I'll stick to the Barbera. Bizzochi, and RLPL avaliable for a few dollars more on the web.

Yeah, I'm a junior. I'm likely going to be working at the university hospital this summer and professional dress is required for the job I'll have.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I think Ricky confuses months with weeks so a typical 6-8 week wait for shirts translates with Jantzen as really 6-8 months.

It's like that old Groucho Marx line.

"When it's 7PM in New York, it's 1938 in Los Angeles."

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

You gotta call him up personally, from time to time.

7. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

Ordered in november.. didn't hear anything ..sent two follow up emails ... he responded to the second follow-up three weeks ago and said he couldn't find my order... I re-sent it and haven't heard anything since. Finally broke down and bought a couple of cheap CT shirts the other day to tide me over.

8. scot

scot Senior member

I am also waiting on two orders from november... no feedback and no responses to the emails.

9. flashkobalt

flashkobalt Senior member

Ordered in January... called on March 20 only to find the fabric I'd requested was out of stock...

I'm getting close to breaking down and buying rtw or even mysuitshop (as rtw makes me look like a ship at full sail)... I guess I'm more disappointed than anything else, the promise of such a (potentially) fantastic product for so little was definitely enticing...

Anyways, good luck with your order... [​IMG]

10. darin_arrick

darin_arrick Active Member

If I may ask: Why the hell does anyone put up with this seemingly crappy service?! You're picky about your sleeve length, but if "6 weeks" turns into "6 months", it's OK?! No! I don't give a flip about "Chinese New Year"; that's an excuse. If you have a business, you do business. It's simple, really. I was thinking about getting some shirts from Jantzen, but what I've read has turned me off completely. Frankly, based on some of the other "online retailer" threads I've seen (about "Carlo Franco" and others, for example), I'm not sure I want to deal with them at all. I think I'd feel better about buying RTW; at least I know I'm going to get what I pay for. My 34 cents...

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I may ask:

Why the hell does anyone put up with this seemingly crappy service?! You're picky about your sleeve length, but if "6 weeks" turns into "6 months", it's OK?! No! I don't give a flip about "Chinese New Year"; that's an excuse. If you have a business, you do business. It's simple, really.

I put up with it because the customer service just isn't that important to me. I don't need another shirt right away, and I wouldn't order a Jantzen if I did. Thankfully, I have the luxury of placing an order and forgetting about it. When it arrives, it's a pleasant surprise. And, best of all, I end up with an exceptionally well-made MTO shirt -- one that rivals $250-$300 shirts in terms of construction quality -- for the whopping sum of $45. That's a spectacular deal.

I can understand why people would choose to take their business elsewhere, but what I don't understand is why some folks read about Jantzen here, then proceed to complain when they get the same indifferent customer service as everyone else. I wouldn't go bespoke if I needed a suit for interviews next week, and I wouldn't go to Charvet if I needed a $45 shirt. Jantzen is what it is; I know what it is, and I couldn't be happier, at least so far.

12. Jared

Jared Senior member

I think what exasperates us so is that we're indoctrinated to believe in capitalism, and yet this is clearly a failure thereof: I'd pay twice Jantzen's prices for twice the customer service, the same quality, and half the fabric choices. [​IMG]

13. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

I got my first shirt after about 9 weeks of waiting. The measurements were spot on except for the width of the sleeves, and that was an easy and cheap fix.

Even with the alteration, the fabric and the fit made the shirt more than worth the wait. The only other shirts that fit me like the one I got from Jantzen are Slim Fit Jil Sander shirts ($275+), and size 37 Dior Homme shirts ($345+), which is a size that is rare and ONLY carried at Dior Homme (meaning that if it goes on sale, it doesn't go on sale for a price I'm really comfortable paying).

Definitely worth the wait.

14. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I think what exasperates us so is that we're indoctrinated to believe in capitalism, and yet this is clearly a failure thereof: I'd pay twice Jantzen's prices for twice the customer service, the same quality, and half the fabric choices. [​IMG]
    No, it's not a failure of capitalism. Since there are outlets that meet your needs, and Jantzen serves a different need, all is still Zen in the market. Call CEGO. Tom

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

If I may ask:

Why the hell does anyone put up with this seemingly crappy service?! You're picky about your sleeve length, but if "6 weeks" turns into "6 months", it's OK?! No! I don't give a flip about "Chinese New Year"; that's an excuse. If you have a business, you do business. It's simple, really.

I was thinking about getting some shirts from Jantzen, but what I've read has turned me off completely. Frankly, based on some of the other "online retailer" threads I've seen (about "Carlo Franco" and others, for example), I'm not sure I want to deal with them at all. I think I'd feel better about buying RTW; at least I know I'm going to get what I pay for.

My 34 cents...

I'm sure Ricky won't miss your business. I've just been too lazy to do measurements to get started with the whole process but I'm sure if I had all that done, even if it took awhile to get the shirt, you're getting $300 value for $45. I think that's worth waiting for.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I put up with it because the customer service just isn't that important to me. I don't need another shirt right away, and I wouldn't order a Jantzen if I did.

+ 1.00

17. Jared

Jared Senior member

No, it's not a failure of capitalism. Since there are outlets that meet your needs, and Jantzen serves a different need, all is still Zen in the market. Call CEGO.
    Doesn't CEGO only do fittings in person? And aren't they at least three times Jantzen? This is a spatial and temporal arbitrage market inefficiency.

18. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Doesn't CEGO only do fittings in person? And aren't they at least three times Jantzen? This is a spatial and temporal arbitrage market inefficiency.
    Business school? Anyway, doesn't matter. I think Carl starts at about double Jantzen's prices, but with smaller selection of fabrics in that price range. The price of a short trip to NYC should become negligible as you order enough shirts.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

From what I have seen the "Jantzen being equal in quality to a $300 shirt" is a strange internet fallacy (fantasy).

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

From what I have seen the "Jantzen being equal in quality to a $300 shirt" is a strange internet fallacy (fantasy).

Obviously it depends on which $300 shirt we are talking about. Relative to certain luxury brands, Jantzen outshines them. That being said, what I currently like in my shirts are things that Janzten can not do and the customer service was just not worth the aggravation so I'll get into a "bear" fetish before ordering from Jantzen ever again.