1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How long should a tie be?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GrassSnake, Oct 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GrassSnake

GrassSnake Member

What are peoples thoughts on tie length? I usually look to have the end of my tie sitting on or just above my belt buckle, but see many people with significantly shorter ties?

I'm very much a newbie on here so any advice is much appreciated.

2. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

I think your way is correct. I'm short and struggle to find ties short enough. I like to do a skinny not or 4-in-hand but those tend to leave a long tie, so sometimes I have no choice but to do a half Windsor (hope I have all those names right... My point is I have to do a tie with a fatter knot to 'use up' more of the tie).

I like it to where it's just hitting the belt line.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

you are correct, right at the belt line.

4. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

+1.

OP, welcome to SF!

BTW, StumpjumperE, from someone in the same situation, you may want to have a tailor or alterations person shorten your ties by removing part of the middle section where the sections are sewn together.

5. kevinardente

kevinardente Member

You are correct. As long as your tie hang somewhere above or on the belt buckle, you are okay.

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

A rule, you frequently find, is that the tip of the tie should touch the belt buckle SOMEWHERE when you are standing. So you are fine.

7. joeverns

joeverns Member

+1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. GrassSnake

GrassSnake Member

Thanks guys! Good to know I'm not totally clueless!

9. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

You're in luck as there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards.

10. StumpjumperE

@Johnvw, yeah I might need to do that. Sometimes I actually hide the back side of the tie in my shirt or tucked it in my trousers, I'm aware that's probably pretty lame to do that. [​IMG]

11. StumpjumperE

By the way, I occasionally see pictures of models with the back (skinny) side of the tie hanging down slightly below the front part of the tie to where you can see a little of it. Is that some sort of 'fashion forward' thing?

12. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Try an oriental knot. I'm short as well and I find it's a good middle ground in terms of shape/length.

13. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

Yes, it is kinda fashion forward (often) and can be very stylish (seldom). Generally though, unless you are well versed in these things. I would say you should just do an extra 'round turn' in your tie knot to use up the length.

Edit: To answer the OP's question, an ideal tie length would be so that the tip just touches the belt buckle.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  14. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

If I may add another $0.02, if the wearer is wearing braces (which should not be worn with a belt) or pants with adjustable tabs, the tie should be the same length--to the top of the waistband.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  15. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

Ready made products, including ties, are made to work for the "average". I am 5'8"and the average tie length, including the ties made in my tie facility -chippneckwear - are too long for me.
    There is more than one way to accomplish what you want. You can tie a 4-in-hand and feed the tail of the tie through the label and bend the bottom of the tail up and pin it to your shirt with a safety pin. No one will know what you have done.
    I offer to shorten ties for those who purchase Chipp ties. I blunt cut shorten ties at no additional charge or re-cut to a point for $15.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com