• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long is too long in a suit jacket/blazer?

mdg137

Reaction score
The recent post about a new jacket and length alteration got me thinking--

I am essentially a 38s, but built a little oddly-- at 5'5"-- ideally, a length of about 28 (bottom of collar to hem) would be about right for me, but most OTR come in at about 29, or 29.25 (ish).

29 comes a bit below my butt, and about to the tip of my thumb, rather than the first knuckle.

I generally have my suits altered to show around 1/2 inch of cuff, I favor substantial waist suppression, etc. My jackets end up very fitted, and I am fairly pleased-- however, when I consider having that extra inch or so shortened on the jacket, to my eyes it throws off the look and balance of the jacket.

Would you rather have the extra inch or inch and a half in length, or have a jacket that is visibly (to your own eye) out of balance?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
Would you rather have the extra inch or inch and a half in length, or have a jacket that is visibly (to your own eye) out of balance?
Great question. I'm about to find out for myself, as I just took a couple of sport coats to my tailor to have them shortened. I'll let you know what I think when I get them back next week. I'm only having them taken up about half an inch, though; not an inch-and-a-half, as you're considering.

SK8

Reaction score
I had a suit jacket shorten 3/4 of an inch and the end result was a jacket that was out of balance. The button stance was off as well as the pockets. I ended up giving the suit to the Goodwill. I would suggest trying to find a brand that makes a little shorter jacket. I have a 38R Caruso and the length is about 29.5, which is about an inch shorter than most 38R. I also have a RL-Blue Label blazer and it's pretty short compared to most.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
I think you should try to find a brand that is perhaps a little shorter like SK8 mentioned. At your height (similar for me, I'm 5'7"), having a jacket that is too long looks very awkward. At the same time though it isn't just a matter of shortening the jacket because like you mentioned, it typically throws off the balance.

If I had to choose though, I personally would rather have the jacket slightly shorter even if the balance is thrown off a little. Most people I think would be much more quick to notice the length being too long than the issue of balance.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
The recent post about a new jacket and length alteration got me thinking--

I am essentially a 38s, but built a little oddly-- at 5'5"-- ideally, a length of about 28 (bottom of collar to hem) would be about right for me, but most OTR come in at about 29, or 29.25 (ish).

29 comes a bit below my butt, and about to the tip of my thumb, rather than the first knuckle.

I generally have my suits altered to show around 1/2 inch of cuff, I favor substantial waist suppression, etc. My jackets end up very fitted, and I am fairly pleased-- however, when I consider having that extra inch or so shortened on the jacket, to my eyes it throws off the look and balance of the jacket.

I like my suit jackets 27 inches starting below the collar, same height.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The length of a jacket body has no relationship to where you sleeve terminates except in the grossest sense. You could be an orangutan or a T-rex.

Ignoring certain contemporary designers who do short jackets on purpose, the length of your jacket is ideally established by what covers your ass but what also allows for an elegant looking buttoning point on the waist. That, in turn, is related to the proportions of your torso to your legs and where your natural waist falls. Except in fortunate cases, these parameters can only ideally be amalgamated by an expert bespoke tailor.

In RTW, you simply have to try on many different cuts until you get close...when you do, and if it is a style you like, you have found your brand (at least, until it changes its designs.)

- B

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe, for these reasons, the best choices for both the orangutan and the t-rex, would be bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads