• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how long is safe to marinate chicken?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just going to quickly marinate some chicken last night for dinner. I made the marinade and it has been sitting there since 6pm last night. It's now 8pm the next day, and I still haven't cooked it. Could it go another day?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You mean the marinade has been at room temp for 26 hours? I guess it partly depends on what's in it, for instance a ton of vinegar might act as a preservative.

But I wouldn't risk it.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You mean the marinade has been at room temp for 26 hours? I guess it partly depends on what's in it, for instance a ton of vinegar might act as a preservative.

But I wouldn't risk it.

No, the chicken has been in a ziplock, in the marinade, in the fridge for all this time.

I have marinated red meat for this kind of time, but never chicken.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Depends on the acidity of the marinade. If it's very acidic, I wouldn't even do chicken overnight.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh.

Then what are you worried about? Should be fine.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
24 hours in the fridge is fine. 48 is pushing it, but I've done it before with no ill effects. I throw out anything older than that.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've also pushed it to two days (due to forgetfulness a couple of times) but no longer than that either. On that thought, I wonder sometimes how long the marinated meats you see in your typical supermarket butcher have been there for. I will never attempt to find out.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but the fridge for 26 hours is fine. I say go for it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In terms of food safety, you are fine.

In terms of cooking it, that could be a little long for marinating a chicken but you should be ok.

If it comes out tasting bad, you know for next time

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
Too much acid will cook the chicken...too much salt will dry out the chicken

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i read "how long is it safe to marinate children?"

lol.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
^ I've also pushed it to two days (due to forgetfulness a couple of times) but no longer than that either. On that thought, I wonder sometimes how long the marinated meats you see in your typical supermarket butcher have been there for. I will never attempt to find out.

Whats fucked is that I'm guessing they use slightly "off" pieces of meat for those premarinated products. Means you are already playing with fire.

K

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Whats fucked is that I'm guessing they use slightly "off" pieces of meat for those premarinated products. Means you are already playing with fire.

K

Unless it's actually 'off' I doubt it. My guess is that they use something to accelerate the marinating process - which is probably bad for you
confused.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicken marinaded in fridge for <48hrs is still OK. I have personally done it. No side effects, I'm still alive.

I've marinaded beef for about 3 days and it was also OK.

Or maybe I'm just lucky?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics