• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long is a pair of sneakers supposed to last?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am talking about the ones where you just buy for the looks and not for any practical purposes (like jogging). Won't the heel get worn down in a like a month and then you have to buy a new pair? Then do people really spend like $1200 a year on new shoes? What about the creasing near the toes? Won't that ugly up the sneaker? I guess that is not a problem since 90% of people wear ugly shoes so yours won't stand out anyways. Then why spend so much money on those "high-end" sneakers? Sneakers are sneakers, they will always be low-end footwear, who are these designers trying to fool? You can't add some patent leather or suede and think it will compete with dress shoes. And back to sneakers, how do you deal with the dirt, it is pretty hard to clean off, it will at to the dirty look and help your expensive sneakers blend in with the average shoes that most other people wear, money well spent I see. And why do people wear Chuck Taylor shoes, not only are they ugly they are uncomfortable and they are made of cloth, comon, that is not right.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Mods please move to rft.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by rft?

The above are seriously questions, if you are not going be helpful why even post? So many people here with nothing better to do than write unhelpful responses.

chineseboy

Reaction score
i have a pair of beaters that i wear around everyday when i don't care about how i look. some adidas gazelles, they're suede, cheap and have lasted me months.

i also have 3-4 pairs of nice sneakers i save for going out that i rotate between to match my outfit. these cost more and if u only wear each pair once a week for a couple hours at a time, they last years.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with shoes made of cloth?

What exactly is the difference between "dress shoes" or boots and sneakers, when you get right down to it?

Why are aged/scuffed sneakers bad?

What makes sneakers "low-end" or "childish"?

Trench coats started as utilitarian military gear; will they "always be low-end"? How about t-shirts? How about button-downs with an unstarched front?

Of course, I'm always ready for a knickers-and-frock-coats collection from Daiki Suzuki or Yohji, so you might actually have a point.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
we really gotta stop letting canadians register for this site

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people don't buy shoes because of their utilitarian purpose. Isn't that kind of the point of fashion? Very little about fashion can be justified when you think about it the way you are.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
we really gotta stop letting canadians register for this site

C'mon now, who's your daddy in hockey?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nobody cares about hockey.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wkspk7.gif

brohymn

Reaction score
Won't the heel get worn down in a like a month and then you have to buy a new pair?
Depends on the quality of the sneaker. Depends on what kind of wear they see. I think most people will agree that pretty much any pair of sneaker heel will last a lot longer than just a month.

Then do people really spend like $1200 a year on new shoes?
They might? Who cares. Dumb question, based off a presumption in the previous statement.

What about the creasing near the toes? Won't that ugly up the sneaker?
Dumb question, its personal preference.

Then why spend so much money on those "high-end" sneakers?
Many different reasons. One reason, from a utilitarian standpoint, high-end sneakers are much higher quality and will last a lot longer than cheaper sneakers.

Sneakers are sneakers, they will always be low-end footwear, who are these designers trying to fool? You can't add some patent leather or suede and think it will compete with dress shoes.
Your opinion (nobody cares what you think)

And back to sneakers, how do you deal with the dirt, it is pretty hard to clean off, it will at to the dirty look and help your expensive sneakers blend in with the average shoes that most other people wear, money well spent I see.
Some people don't care, some do. Personal preference.

And why do people wear Chuck Taylor shoes, not only are they ugly they are uncomfortable and they are made of cloth, comon, that is not right.
Your opinion (nobody cares what you think)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads