• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does it take you to put non-swivel backed cufflinks on?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by king_pen
i usually put the cufflinks in before i have the shirt on. that way i have both hands
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Really. Isn't this they way everyone does it?
It sounds like you're both wearing shirts with cuffs that don't fit. You should not be able to get your hands through French cuffs with links already attached.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You should not be able to get your hands through French cuffs with links already attached.

+1

Most of my shirts are MTM and I can't get my hands through with the links in. I never bother unbuttoning the cuffs on my OTR barrel-cuff shirts though...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're both wearing shirts with cuffs that don't fit. You should not be able to get your hands through French cuffs with links already attached.

I just can't buy this line of reasoning. Non-toggle/non-snap cuff-links are virtually impossible to put in by yourself if you are wearing the shirt. It makes no sense to have a cuff closure that is both intended to be used after you put the shirt on and is nearly impossible to use once the **** is on. This makes no sense.

And my cuffs fit just fine, thankyouverymuch.
smile.gif
Seriously, they fit fine. I'm wearing my new links today (double sided, chain link). I just make my hand skinny when I put my shirt on. Know what I mean?

b

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't buy this line of reasoning. Non-toggle/non-snap cuff-links are virtually impossible to put in by yourself if you are wearing the shirt. It makes no sense to have a cuff closure that is both intended to be used after you put the shirt on and is nearly impossible to use once the **** is on. This makes no sense.

And my cuffs fit just fine, thankyouverymuch.
smile.gif
Seriously, they fit fine. I'm wearing my new links today (double sided, chain link). I just make my hand skinny when I put my shirt on. Know what I mean?

b

I know exactly what you mean. Your cuffs are cut too large for your wrists - which as you pointed out can be practical. A bit like being happy that you can put your shirt on while the collar is buttoned and the tie is still on...
biggrin.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have toggle backs, or I don't wear any. less than a minute.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. Your cuffs are cut too large for your wrists - which as you pointed out can be practical. A bit like being happy that you can put your shirt on while the collar is buttoned and the tie is still on...
biggrin.gif

Gawd, what a horrible image. It's rather clownish, actually, and funny.

Anyway, back to serious stuff: so, therefore, one is not supposed to wear cufflinks that aren't either toggle-back or snaps? And where did this rule about cuff-radius come from? How tight are your cuffs around your wrists?

b

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Sometimes silk knots take me like 5 minutes
confused.gif

Here is the move:

While the shirt is still on the hanger, fold your cuffs and stick the knot through the two outside facing holes - in effect they are half way in.
Put the shirt on (tuck in, etc).
Sitting down (or somewhat awkwardly standing) balance your wrist across your leg/knee with the cuff closure side down so the knot is touching your leg and the remaining two (still empty) holes are facing UP.
With the opposite hand, push/pull the knot through the remaining two (inner, then outer) holes so the cuff is now secured completely by the knot.
Repeat for the other hand.

Should take about 5-10 seconds for each cuff.

This also work for cufflinks.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, back to serious stuff: so, therefore, one is not supposed to wear cufflinks that aren't either toggle-back or snaps?
I never said that. There's a reason why people and the OP are asking the question and discussing this: it can be a bit frustrating for some to try and put double-sided links on (after you put the shirt on, that is). Some argue that their technique is such that it's not bothersome at all. Others think that it's worth the extra minutes.
And where did this rule about cuff-radius come from? How tight are your cuffs around your wrists?
Same tightness/fit as barrel cuffs that fit your wrists, not too tight but not roomy enough to slip your hand in/out. In case that's a surprise, you shouldn't be able to slip on buttoned barrel cuffs either...
smile.gif

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the size of your hand as well.
I can put a properly sized double cuff shirt on with links/silk knots already in no problem, but then I have small flexible hands.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same tightness/fit as barrel cuffs that fit your wrists, not too tight but not roomy enough to slip your hand in/out. In case that's a surprise, you shouldn't be able to slip on buttoned barrel cuffs either...
smile.gif

Well, this will have to be one of those "rules" that I break. Many of my french cuffs are large enough for me to slide my hand through with links in (depends on the links). Virtually none of my barrell cuffs are that wide. But even so, I have them all tailored to hang the length I like so they look nice (imo). I'll stick with that.

b

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads