• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how long does it take you to de-bone a leg of lamb?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,931
Reaction score
84
It took me a long ass time, of course my good knives are in storage now so that certainly didn't help. Hacking away at it with dull-ass knives was a chore. It was the first time i'd done it though so it was good practice and La Varenne Pratique showed me the way. The lamb is marinating in thyme-infused garlic confit right now and the jus is almost done. Will eat tomorrow night. My father thinks i'm insane with the effort i put in to cooking sometimes. Tomorrow night is stock night.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,931
Reaction score
84
I put all my stuff in storage since I'm living with my father for the next 8 months prior to my big south america trip. Didn't realize his knives sucked so bad.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,931
Reaction score
84
I made a "lamb" jus, with veal bones. Next time I'm gonna ask them to keep some lamb bones for me because they normally only keep veal, beef and chicken bones. Of course, I can't fucking eat it cause I'm stuck at the office at 11pm. I'm also starving so I'm about to order.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,655
Reaction score
873
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I made a "lamb" jus, with veal bones. Next time I'm gonna ask them to keep some lamb bones for me because they normally only keep veal, beef and chicken bones. Of course, I can't fucking eat it cause I'm stuck at the office at 11pm. I'm also starving so I'm about to order.


I'd gladly take it off your hands if I were around.
 

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
23
it takes me 10 minutes to debone and butterfly. I like to butterfly the meat to expose it to more marinade and charcoal. It sounds like you are going to a butcher, why don't you just ask them to do it for you?
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,655
Reaction score
873
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
it takes me 10 minutes to debone and butterfly. I like to butterfly the meat to expose it to more marinade and charcoal. It sounds like you are going to a butcher, why don't you just ask them to do it for you?

No, he's definitely doing it himself. La Varenne Pratique is a program of culinary education, although I assume the G33k just bought one of the books or maybe found some online videos or something.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,931
Reaction score
84
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
No, he's definitely doing it himself. La Varenne Pratique is a program of culinary education, although I assume the G33k just bought one of the books or maybe found some online videos or something.

Didn't know it was a program. I just have THE book. It was recommended to me by someone on the forum. It's big and it has everything in it. Damn.... 10 minutes? That's fast. My knives really were dull though. It was tough getting through the connective tissue without taking my hand off.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,655
Reaction score
873
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Didn't know it was a program. I just have THE book. It was recommended to me by someone on the forum. It's big and it has everything in it.

I didn't really know what to call it. I know it's not a "school" b/c there isn't a physical place where she teaches courses. But I know that the lady does travel the country teaching cooking classes, and that she has multiple books and other things.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,856
OK, why do you bother to de-bone a leg of lamb? It's much better WITH the bone.
 

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
23
- expose the meat to more marinade and charcoal. Butterflying also helps here.
- reduce cooking time. I can grill a leg of lamb in 20 minutes.

Better is obviously subjective...I love a slow roasted leg of lamb but if you debone, butterfly, marinade for 24 hours, grill and lightly char over a two-zone fire with lemon-herb butter, its absolutely delicious.
 

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
17,931
Reaction score
84
Vinous is right. The lamb was done with a marinade. I don't know that one way is any better than the other. It is just different. I think there is a danger of too much marinade, however. I got 3 servings out of the short leg. Two were nice fist-sized pieces of meat and the third was a tied-together bundle about the same size as the first (this was short-leg btw). With the smaller pieces that made up the third, there was triple the surface area and the marinade overpowered the lamb. Part of this was my cutting job, which wasn't great. I cannot exagerate how dull these knives are. I was more prying and sawing than cutting, so that third piece of meat really wasn't pretty. I think i know what I am getting my father for an early xmas. Shun + new cutting board (he's got this sorry ass thing that's broken in half that for some reason he hasn't replaced).
 

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
2
Why do you guys call the OP 'G33K'?
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I didn't really know what to call it. I know it's not a "school" b/c there isn't a physical place where she teaches courses. But I know that the lady does travel the country teaching cooking classes, and that she has multiple books and other things.
Actually, there was a cooking school in Burgundy, France that was located in a picture book chateau but she recently moved to LA. More of its graduates ended up becoming culinary journalists instead of working in a kitchen; Amanda Hesser is a famous alumni. Along with La Varenne Practique, I'd recommend her Look & Cook books. Its kind of like Pepin's stuff, but with clear, color pictures for every step. I like the layout of those books, but not necessarily some of the recipes.
 

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
5,664
Reaction score
7
I like it the lamb.

-Syriana
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 148 33.1%
  • 8”

    Votes: 133 29.8%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 50 11.2%
  • 9”

    Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 10”

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,133
Messages
9,305,579
Members
195,299
Latest member
shawamela6
Top