• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does it take to reach peak fitness?

Tardek

Reaction score
Here are the details: I am attempting to build my weight from 167lbs to 190lbs without supplements like creatine. At the same time I'm trying to increase my cardio fitness to the point where I can run at least a 10 in a beep test (at the moment I can probably run to about a 7.5).

My workout consists of three half-hour long free weights routines per week for upper body and arms (at the moment I am using 4kg or almost 9lb dumbbells), two ten minute jogs per week, one swim per week (at the moment I'm only swimming 250m, but I'll increase that with time), and two to three sessions of lower body and core muscle work, including squats and lunges, of half an hour each. I also do three to four hours of yoga per week.

As for diet, I don't count my calories, but I'm downing two cups of muesli with milk for breakfast (and sometimes some protein), three or four sandwiches for lunch, usually ham and cheese with margarine, sometimes peanut butter, and a high carb, high protein dinner, with three snacks of one banana and 40 grams of cheese each.

What's a reasonable timeline for achieving my goal? Ideally I want to get up there by the end of the year.

Taxler

Reaction score
If peak means the best you can be in all aspects, I'd say it's years- not months.

Are you counting 2 10 minute jogs as cardio? Even a beginner should be doing much more than that.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Are you counting 2 10 minute jogs as cardio? Even a beginner should be doing much more than that.

Ditto on the 4kg dumb-bells. I'm the scrawniest person you'll ever meet yet even I lift more than twice that weight, I can't see lifting 4kg making much difference to anyone...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
Here are the details: I am attempting to build my weight from 167lbs to 190lbs without supplements like creatine. At the same time I'm trying to increase my cardio fitness to the point where I can run at least a 10 in a beep test (at the moment I can probably run to about a 7.5).
How tall are you? 190lbs. with single digit body fat is pretty big. Most people really underestimate what it's like.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My definition of peak is probably different than yours. With a solid base of fitness, I can generally peak for a few weeks, twice each year.

So, it takes, more or less, 6 months to hit a peak, at which point, I taper off a bit to allow recovery, and then hit whatever I wanted to do with my fitness.

Also, 4 kilos? I use weights like that for single plane movements for my shoulders to keep them happy and healthy whenever I end up with any pain.

If you want to pack on almost 20 lbs of solid muscle mass, you're going to need to lift heavy.

Focus on the four basics: squats, deads, benches, pull ups.

Deluks917

Reaction score
I dunno about 4 years should get most people pretty close.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck on reaching "peak".

The world's best cello player (Rostropovich) was in his 70's and was asked why he still practiced so much every day.

"I'm still getting better" was his answer.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To OP: your diet needs a lot of attention. Don't focus only on your training.

Eagle

Reaction score
^^If I were eating the OP's diet, I would go from my present weight of 201 lbs to 300 lbs...in very short order, regardless of my level of exercise activity! In addition to modifying his diet, the resistance training needs to be cranked up quite a bit
wink.gif

BGates

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
What's a beep test?

Second this, we do "Beep tests" in high school gym instead of running the mile, and if you are talking about running from one side of a gym and back waiting for beeps then 10 should be no problem for anyone. It shouldn't really be a challenge until you get to at least 30 if not 40.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
What's a beep test?

Originally Posted by BGates
Second this, we do "Beep tests" in high school gym instead of running the mile, and if you are talking about running from one side of a gym and back waiting for beeps then 10 should be no problem for anyone. It shouldn't really be a challenge until you get to at least 30 if not 40.

Beep test does not go to 30, let alone 40. Behold!

Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
To OP: your diet needs a lot of attention. Don't focus only on your training.

Originally Posted by Eagle
^^If I were eating the OP's diet, I would go from my present weight of 201 lbs to 300 lbs...in very short order, regardless of my level of exercise activity! In addition to modifying his diet, the resistance training needs to be cranked up quite a bit
wink.gif

Re: diet - yes, I'm aware it's quite important. I'm seeing a dietician and eating what she has advised regarding the balance of protein, carbs, fats and oils, calcium etc.

Originally Posted by Taxler
If peak means the best you can be in all aspects, I'd say it's years- not months.

A beginner in what? I'm not trying to be a triathlete or anyhing. Also don't forget swimming, and yoga. Both of these are cardio. I can't run too much because I get bad knees quite quickly, which is admittedly fairly sad.

Originally Posted by why
How tall are you? 190lbs. with single digit body fat is pretty big. Most people really underestimate what it's like.

I'm 180cms (5'11''). At the moment my body fat is pretty high, it's probably around 17% right now. I'll knock it down to 15%, then 10%. Single % won't be for quite a while.

Originally Posted by Milhouse
My definition of peak is probably different than yours. With a solid base of fitness, I can generally peak for a few weeks, twice each year.

So, it takes, more or less, 6 months to hit a peak, at which point, I taper off a bit to allow recovery, and then hit whatever I wanted to do with my fitness.

Also, 4 kilos? I use weights like that for single plane movements for my shoulders to keep them happy and healthy whenever I end up with any pain.

If you want to pack on almost 20 lbs of solid muscle mass, you're going to need to lift heavy.

Focus on the four basics: squats, deads, benches, pull ups.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Ditto on the 4kg dumb-bells. I'm the scrawniest person you'll ever meet yet even I lift more than twice that weight, I can't see lifting 4kg making much difference to anyone...

Re: weights - I am upping my weight every half a month or so. I'll be upping it to 13lbs (5kgs) next week. The reason they are low is because I am doing long, sustained reps of about 10 seconds each direction. That way my muscles get pushed quite well. Should I lower the time of each rep in exchange for a higher weight? What's your opinion?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
does yoga really count as cardio?

Some of the advanced stuff can get your heart rate up, but until you have the strength and flexibility to hold those positions long enough, it isn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads