Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How long do you push your summer wardrobe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

Here in Canada it's sort of an un-written rule to drop the summer wardrobe after Labor Day,
    which is the first Monday of September.
    I am wondering for those of you who have distinct seasons of spring/summer/fall/winter,
    how long do you push the summerwear?
    This would include, for example, linen pants/suits, spectators, Panama Hats,etc.
    Assuming the weather is still temperate, do you push it until the first frost? or do you rotate into fallwear according to a specific date.

2. Taken Aback

Taken Aback Senior member

Weather dictates it for me. 80° in NYC today, and I plan on shirt, shorts and boat shoes. (Not at work, of course)

3. MrBon

MrBon Well-Known Member

good question... i have summer clothing i wear each and every season. Of course hear in the NYC area when it gets below 30 degrees i'm not wearing white shorts and a t-shirt, but short sleeve polos under a sweater or sport jacket is not out of the question. Light weight pants would be foolish during winter winds, so there are some summer clothing that would look out of season, those are the ones to put away.

Winter season i break out the turtle necks, sweaters, coats, and gloves, But some summer clothing never gets put away.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Labor Day is the rule here too but I'll keep wearing linen and such until this heat goes away for good.

5. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Here in Canada it's sort of an un-written rule to drop the summer wardrobe after Labor Day,
    which is the first Monday of September.
    I am wondering for those of you who have distinct seasons of spring/summer/fall/winter,
    how long do you push the summerwear?
    This would include, for example, linen pants/suits, spectators, Panama Hats,etc.
    Assuming the weather is still temperate, do you push it until the first frost? or do you rotate into fallwear according to a specific date.

The Labor Day rule applies Stateside, as well. Generally speaking, the timing of the switch-over really depends on three things:

1) Local climate (propensity for "Indian summers," degree of difference between typical summer and fall weather, etc.);

2) Local tastes (e.g., how likely your friends and associates are to care about the Labor Day rule);

3) How much you care about either of the above.

If I'm living somewhere with a pretty dramatic difference between summer and fall, I'm more likely to drop the summer attire altogether around Labor Day. Likewise, if I'm living somewhere where the locals are more traditional or even elitist, I'm going to obey the rule. On the other hand, if I'm living somewhere like LA (e.g., little to no difference between summer and the pre-November fall; unconcerned locals; etc.), then I'm less inclined to care and more inclined to switch over when my mood permits.

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

When it's cold enough to wear my winter stuff.

Sept is the accepted limit to put away the "vacation" clothes but you can get away with linen jackets etc until the weather turns.

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I push it to the end of summer, September 22. By the start of September I am storing some things and replacing others with fall/winter counterparts. I won't be fully into a fall/winter wardrobe until nearly mid-October -- some summer shirts, lightweight trousers, sweaters, etc. will hang around that long -- as long as the daytime highs hold up.

8. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Here in the subtropics, a "summer" wardrobe gets good use from Easter to (at least) Columbus Day.

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

year round, but i do live in Florida

10. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I push it to the end of summer, September 22. By the start of September I am storing some things and replacing others with fall/winter counterparts. I won't be fully into a fall/winter wardrobe until nearly mid-October -- some summer shirts, lightweight trousers, sweaters, etc. will hang around that long -- as long as the daytime highs hold up.

+1. It also really depends on the weather.

11. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

Until it's cool enough to wear my autumn/winter stuff.

It's still in the 80s here in the midwest. I'd broil in wool.

12. furo

furo Senior member

Here in the subtropics, a "summer" wardrobe gets good use from Easter to (at least) Columbus Day.

+1

I'm in Southwest Texas so I don't change my wardrobe at all. Only thing I do is add a coat in the winter and I'm fine

But then again, my wardrobe doesn't have linen. I wear cotton chinos+shirts just about every day and it works all year

My sport coats are a summer wool anyways so those also work year-round

13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I wouldn't think of it as a summer wardrobe so much as I would think of it as a "good weather" wardrobe. As long as the skies are blue and the weather warm wear it as long as you want. I'll be wearing my summer suits and sockless shoe ensembles (though not at the same time, mind you) as long as the mercury stays north of 65 degrees.

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

'till it's too cold.

15. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

I'm in San Diego and it just cooled down enough that I can start wearing a light colored jacket.