• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how long do you keep your fingernails?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was reading in the Esquire 'Black Book' that a man shouldn't trim his nails below the edge of his fingertip. They state the rule of thumb as having them long enough to pick up a penny. I've always trimmed away all the whites, and I find it a little intrusive if they're that long. For me to grow the nails as long as they say in this book, the whites are going to be a good couple of mm, which seems kind of gross to me. But I'm also wondering if I let them stay long for a while whether the pink will actually grow longer, too.

Just wondering what most well-groomed men here do.

jkennett

Reaction score
I keep my fingernails with a couple millimeters of white. If I trim past the white it gets damned painful. So, I guess the pink does indeed grow further up when you keep your nails longer. I've always kept my nails this length and they've never interfered with any dexterity or anything (guitar included).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everything but the pinky down to the nib. The pink helps with my other extracurricular activities.

From what I see on most other men, I keep mine fairly long. I guess it'd be about the Esquire measurement. I don't like them when they're too short.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Everything but the pinky down to the nib. The pink helps with my other extracurricular activities.

From what I see on most other men, I keep mine fairly long. I guess it'd be about the Esquire measurement. I don't like them when they're too short.

Thanks for the input to all. I trim down to the nib, too: problem is my nib is well below the actual tip of the finger. I guess I'll try keeping them longer and see if the pink will slowly get longer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's impossible for me to trim them down beyond the whites or the tips of the fingers. In fact, many Chinese people think white people's nails are extremely ugly since they either never grow naturally beyond the tips or are trimmed too short.

I do think a slightly longer nail is better-looking.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cut them every weekend and at midweek if they need it but I usually take everything off. I feel gross if I don't and I always notice when someone keeps theirs longer or when they keep the pinky nail long (up to a 1/2 cm sometimes). I just think that's poor hygeine.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's impossible for me to trim them down beyond the whites or the tips of the fingers. In fact, many Chinese people think white people's nails are extremely ugly since they either never grow naturally beyond the tips or are trimmed too short. I do think a slightly longer nail is better-looking.
I'm actually 3/4 Asian.
plain.gif
But out of curiosity, where do your nail whites begin--at the fingertips? Mine are about 2 mm below my fingertips. Oh, and yeah, I agree the look a bit better with a small amount of white, figure that's why they leave some with manicures. But my problem has always been I hate having grime underneath there, and to me, trimming away the excess feels cleaner.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LabelKing;741485 said:
In fact, many Chinese people think white people's nails are extremely ugly since they either never grow naturally beyond the tips or are trimmed too short.QUOTE]

I bet Vietnamese people do so especially as it seems like they usually go into the Nail Salon business.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like fingering your girl, it`s better to keep them as short as possible.
happy.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I can't cut the white out. That would leave my fingers raw but would depend on each individual's finger. I leave 1mm of white except my left pinky is 1" for doing coke.

Originally Posted by Dragon
If you like fingering your girl, it`s better to keep them as short as possible.
happy.gif

Now this thread's picking up some steam. Let 'er rip, fellas...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads