• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How long do you keep your bottles of cologne for before you throw it out?

Kevin Peters 1

Reaction score
So I recently found out that cologne actually expires after reading this: https://www.groomjournal.com/how-long-does-cologne-last-and-does-it-expire/

I am not one to use cologne very frequently. I'll spray on a bit on special occasions or on a date night. So naturally, I have bottles of cologne lying around in my cupboard for years. Do you guys have the same thing? Do you throw them out after they expire?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scents do change after time, but that doesn't mean they smell bad or offensive. I rarely throw any out. Lots of online communities where people trade cologne they no longer use.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a 20 year old bottle of Creed Vetiver. It's not "Original Vetiver" ... but the fragrance that preceded it and is no longer available. It still smells wonderful and is perhaps my favorite.

Sisyphus

Reaction score
If stored properly (out of heat and direct sunlight) most fragrances can be kept for decades easily. Some fragrance notes will hold up better than others (citruses are tricky in my experience), but I have quite a few bottles older than 20yrs that are still great. Most of the time only the top notes will be diminished a bit, but the heart and base is still there. Many people even swear by vintage (mostly because of modern regulations banning/restricting lots of ingredients) and you will see vintage Guerlains for example often going for hundreds of euros on sites like Ebay.

I'm not mad at this widely believed myth though that fragrances only have a storage life of a few years, as it got me many desired vintage fragrances for just some pocket money.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.