1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How long do leather heels/soles last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dusty, Jul 7, 2005.

1. dusty

dusty Distinguished Member

If you wear the shoes to work one day a week? What is the difference in longevity between leather heels and rubber-covered leather heels?

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

In general, I think leather wears down faster than rubber. However, there are so many variables:

-- whether (and how many) nails/slugs are in the heel.
    -- hardness of leather
    -- hardness of rubber

For example, Vass uses leather heels but with a sliver of rubber at the back. The rubber they use is incredibly hard and amazingly durable (as is the leather, for that matter). The nails they insert in a pattern across the heel has to help some too in reducing wear. Edward Green does the same thing, but with rubber that seems a little softer than Vass's. If you get the standard issue "Cat's Paw" heel used by many cobblers, it'll wear down much faster.

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

I walk about 5k every day in my leather heeled dress shoes (commute, transit between meetings, etc.). I wear each pair once a week. I find myself replacing heels about every 9 months. Soles every 1 1/2 years.

4. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior Member

A more pertinent question is how long they will last in distance travelled, given we all walk different amounts and wear shoes at different frequencies.

I walk about 10km (about 13,000 steps) every day in my leather and rubber heeled dress shoes (commute, transit between meetings, etc.). I wear each pair once a week. I find myself replacing heels about every 3 months. I find no difference between leather and rubber (in fact, perhaps rubber lasts sligtly longer I find). So, my heels undergo 12wks x 10km = 120km before they need replacing, and only because I over pronate (only 25% of heel is affected).

5. VKK3450

VKK3450 Distinguished Member

Another factor is where you wear them, on what surface and if outdoors, in what weather.

Here in Amsterdam I can go through soles like crazy because of the cobblestone streets in the city center and the wet weather.

K

6. risto

risto Member

How true VKK3450 ... Vienna eats shoes faster than any other city I've lived in. Cobblestones, rough sidewalks, etc. are murder on the soles.