• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long do good shoes truly last?

NAVA23

Reaction score
We discuss the attributes of fine shoes such as Lobb, Vass, C&J, AE, etc. And, we are aware of the cost associated with such caliber of footwear. With that being said, how long does a well taken care of shoe last, considering frequent care and maintenance?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A pair of soles can last up to, say 200 wearings. Some of the English makers have seen shoes come back for 3 or 4 new soles. Probably more in some cases.

So if you wore nothing else but your one pair, you'd get 2 years of wear. (Obviously, that won't work since you need to let shoes breathe between wearings.) If you rotated a group of seven, you'd get 14 years.

Another way to look at it would be to price a bespoke pair for something like $2,500, plus 4 re-soles (at a little over $600 each). $5,000 for about 1,000 wears. $5/day, or if you were maintaining a bespoke collection, just over $1,800/year. That works out to a new pair of shoes every other year and a new pair of soles plus a few other repairs in the odd years. If you buy carefully, of course. Not every shoe you will see is one you'd want to wear once a week.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will last with proper maintenance + repair for as long as you live/willing to spend money on it...but who in the world would want to wear the same pair/s of shoes for the rest of his life?
blush.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Will last with proper maintenance + repair for as long as you live/willing to spend money on it...but who in the world would want to wear the same pair/s of shoes for the rest of his life?
blush.gif

Me. Going back to the OP's question, I think 200 wears per sole is a reasonably accurate ball-park figure, other things being equal. But things rarely are. Some people walk for miles on cement every day; others walk from their living room to their garage, and then spend the day on carpeted office floors. Also, I have to say that I haven't noticed a lot of difference in how leather soles of supposedly different quality wear: my Church's and C&J soles don't seem to last less than my Vass soles.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Here's my anecdote. Back in the 90s when I worked in sales, I wore the same pair of J&M Aristocrafts five days a week. Rain or shine (in Houston, lots of rain), they did their job. I would resole probably every six months when they wore through. Shoes tended to last me about two years before the leather would rot and crack near the welting. I knew nothing about rotating shoes, but I did keep them polished regularly.

My guess is that if properly cared for (conditioned, rotated, used galoshes when it rains), they should last more than 200 wearings. I would guess double that number, but of course, YMMV.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of men with very good shoes own 12-24 pairs.

If that is the case, they generally last until you are bored with them, or no longer wear them and dispose of them somehow. It is hard to wear out a pair of shoes when you have a dozen or more.

I wear my various shoes and boots seasonally. I have pairs that get heavy wear, but that's once or twice a week for maybe half the year. Then I clean them up and put them away until the weather comes around and I want to wear them again.

The point about some people putting more wear on them than others is a good one, too. I don't think a "wearing" is a very good unit of wear. There's not only hoofing it on concrete vs. padding around on carpet, there's also that some men have a gait that causes more damage to concentrated areas. Some burn through heels, others destroy the toe, etc.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have more than one pair that is twenty years old and still worn regularly. I have given some away in near-perfect condition after thirty years when my tastes changed. And I will be wearing my current collection plus the odd purchase for decades (hopefully) to come.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first pair of Aldens, a gift from my grandpappy, are over a decade old, have been resoled 4 times and are still going strong.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I have more than one pair that is twenty years old and still worn regularly. I have given some away in near-perfect condition after thirty years when my tastes changed. And I will be wearing my current collection plus the odd purchase for decades (hopefully) to come.

I'm impressed.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
He hasn't given a frequency, which makes the statement somewhat useless. I could wear a pair of shoes 'regularly' once a week, once a month, once a year, once a decade, etc for 20 years.

Good point I suppose, however I would never count once a month as "regularly".

rfranca

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
blush.gif

I do...
That's why I just buy classic models...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads