1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How long do good shoes truly last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAVA23, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Bellum

Bellum Senior member

Really don't get this forum's obsession with making everything last forever. I don't buy Lobb because I think it will last longer than AE.

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Really don't get this forum's obsession with making everything last forever. I don't buy Lobb because I think it will last longer than AE.
    In the movie The Queen there's a scene in which Liz Windsor and her hubby (Phil, the Duke of Edinburgh) get on a 20 year-old Land Rover to travel within one of their estates. Phil goes: "Perhaps we should get a new one of these [Land Rovers]", to which Liz replies: "Why it is perfectly alright". Along the same lines, note the patched (Lobb?) kicks worn with pride by Liz & Phil's offspring: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...hed-shoes.html For better or worse, that sort of attitude is an ethos as much as it is an aesthetic; and many in MC follow it, with varying degrees of self-consciousness.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

In the movie The Queen there's a scene in which Liz Windsor and her hubby (Phil, the Duke of Edinburgh) get on a 20 year-old Land Rover to travel within one of their estates. Phil goes: "Perhaps we should get a new one of these [Land Rovers]", to which Liz replies: "Why it is perfectly alright". Along the same lines, note the patched (Lobb?) kicks worn with pride by Liz & Phil's offspring: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...hed-shoes.html

For better or worse, that sort of attitude is an ethos as much as it is an aesthetic; and many in MC follow it, with varying degrees of self-consciousness.

I also reckon that no shoes are more comfortable than a pair that you've been wearing since who-knows-when.

4. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

What do you consider to be the end of a shoe's life? Ripped leather?

Permanent creases

They're all steadfast environmentalists. They believe in reusing earth's resources.

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

One Shoe last forever.

6. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

b/c it's a way to justify buying more expensive stuff. which I think is often just a convenient, if not particularly true, justification

7. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Me want 30 to 40 year from a top shoe if worn once every 2 week.
    More from shell.
    Me buy shoe to last forever,
    it must be the best.
    money is never waste on good shoe.
    Sometime top shoe have down time and middle end shoe enter rotation.
    Each top shoe could get 20 wear a year at most.
    English get better.

8. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

I've heard that the more shoes you have, the more they will last.

That is why I can't stop buying new good pairs of shoes...

9. Neb

Neb Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this last week. I probably have worn my one pair of cole Haan's (yes I realize the hate here for them) for about 400hrs give or take. had them resoled once and the leather is starting to crack a bit. I've only had them 2.5 years as they were worn 3-5 days a week for most of their life.

10. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

16 years and 49 days.

Love this answer. But realistically, this is such a subjective question. It is truly different for each person and it not only differs from how many pairs of shoes that you own but also on how you walk, what type of climate you live in, how well you maintain them and even your weight. While there are also many other things that can affect the life span of a pair of shoes you can see here that this is not a question easily nor very accurately answered.

11. lairdofdunans

lairdofdunans Member

Ripped leather? Maybe it can be stitched or patched? Or both? As for shoe life span......very subjective I think. 200 wear....hmmm not convinced, I have a client at the moment who mentioned he has had the same pair of Trickers Brogues for 37 years....given that he is a true English gent, who am I to doubt the validity of his statement. He did say that he rotates his shoes and that the shoes in question have an annual visit to the cobblers.