How long do good shoes truly last?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAVA23, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

What do you consider to be the end of a shoe's life? Ripped leather?

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Minimum 10 to 20 years...

4. aldica

aldica Well-Known Member

First, "good" is relative depending on who makes them, their price and how you care for them. If they are truly a pair of good shoes, and you don't take care of them (e.g., don't wear them two days in a row, polish or treat them without fail, keep them in good repair, and, most importantly, use well-crafted cedar shoe trees), the answer is...FOREVER.

As somebody else said, you will likely tire of them. Rather than give them away, put shoe sox on them and put them on the top shelf. Make a note to visit them in 18 months, if you fall in love with them again, start wearing them. If not, give them to somebody else. (I suggest a younger member of your family who can learn the art of good shoes).

Hope it helps.

5. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

If when I die, my wife posts my shoes for sale here, you will have your answer. YMMV

Butter wants your shoes.

6. Bellum

Bellum Senior member

Really don't get this forum's obsession with making everything last forever. I don't buy Lobb because I think it will last longer than AE.

7. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Really don't get this forum's obsession with making everything last forever. I don't buy Lobb because I think it will last longer than AE.
    In the movie The Queen there's a scene in which Liz Windsor and her hubby (Phil, the Duke of Edinburgh) get on a 20 year-old Land Rover to travel within one of their estates. Phil goes: "Perhaps we should get a new one of these [Land Rovers]", to which Liz replies: "Why it is perfectly alright". Along the same lines, note the patched (Lobb?) kicks worn with pride by Liz & Phil's offspring: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...hed-shoes.html For better or worse, that sort of attitude is an ethos as much as it is an aesthetic; and many in MC follow it, with varying degrees of self-consciousness.

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

In the movie The Queen there's a scene in which Liz Windsor and her hubby (Phil, the Duke of Edinburgh) get on a 20 year-old Land Rover to travel within one of their estates. Phil goes: "Perhaps we should get a new one of these [Land Rovers]", to which Liz replies: "Why it is perfectly alright". Along the same lines, note the patched (Lobb?) kicks worn with pride by Liz & Phil's offspring: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...hed-shoes.html

For better or worse, that sort of attitude is an ethos as much as it is an aesthetic; and many in MC follow it, with varying degrees of self-consciousness.

I also reckon that no shoes are more comfortable than a pair that you've been wearing since who-knows-when.

9. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

What do you consider to be the end of a shoe's life? Ripped leather?

Permanent creases

They're all steadfast environmentalists. They believe in reusing earth's resources.

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

One Shoe last forever.

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

b/c it's a way to justify buying more expensive stuff. which I think is often just a convenient, if not particularly true, justification

12. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Me want 30 to 40 year from a top shoe if worn once every 2 week.
    More from shell.
    Me buy shoe to last forever,
    it must be the best.
    money is never waste on good shoe.
    Sometime top shoe have down time and middle end shoe enter rotation.
    Each top shoe could get 20 wear a year at most.
    English get better.

13. economiayocio

economiayocio Senior member

I've heard that the more shoes you have, the more they will last.

That is why I can't stop buying new good pairs of shoes...

14. Neb

Neb Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this last week. I probably have worn my one pair of cole Haan's (yes I realize the hate here for them) for about 400hrs give or take. had them resoled once and the leather is starting to crack a bit. I've only had them 2.5 years as they were worn 3-5 days a week for most of their life.

15. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

16 years and 49 days.

Love this answer. But realistically, this is such a subjective question. It is truly different for each person and it not only differs from how many pairs of shoes that you own but also on how you walk, what type of climate you live in, how well you maintain them and even your weight. While there are also many other things that can affect the life span of a pair of shoes you can see here that this is not a question easily nor very accurately answered.