• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long before your shirt stops shrinking?

new obsession

Reaction score
Just curious how long everyone thinks it takes before a given shirt stops shrinking when laundered.

I have Brooks Brothers shirts that seem to never shrink, and I have CT shirts that seemed to shrink about 1/2 to 3/4 inch everywhere within the first few washings. Just got some jantzens and I am hoping for more of a Brooks Brothers experience than CT. Eager to try and order more and wondering how long I should wait to see about adjustments.

Do you think it makes a difference that I have all of my shirts professionally laundered?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
Just curious how long everyone thinks it takes before a given shirt stops shrinking when laundered.

I have Brooks Brothers shirts that seem to never shrink, and I have CT shirts that seemed to shrink about 1/2 to 3/4 inch everywhere within the first few washings. Just got some jantzens and I am hoping for more of a Brooks Brothers experience than CT. Eager to try and order more and wondering how long I should wait to see about adjustments.

Do you think it makes a difference that I have all of my shirts professionally laundered?

IIRC CT shirts are notorious for shrinking - the collars on washed shirts are often below the size. I have only one, a 16, and it is tight on my neck which measures 15.5ish.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
On a similar note, I'd like to know when I can expect the waists of my trousers to stop shrinking. I have pants that I've owned for years, and yet the fit at the waist seems to continue getting tighter and tighter. Must be some sort of manufacturing defect.

I have the same problem with my hats, but then again maybe you have to be perfect to have this problem, and I doubt there are many people as all around wonderful as me, or at least that's what all the important people I know keep telling me.... There it goes again, have to get a new hat
devil.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I have the same problem with my hats, but then again maybe you have to be perfect to have this problem, and I doubt there are many people as all around wonderful as me, or at least that's what all the important people I know keep telling me.... There it goes again, have to get a new hat
devil.gif

At that rate you're also going to have to scoot back from your desk, or buy a monitor with a nosehole in the middle..
laugh.gif

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
At that rate you're also going to have to scoot back from your desk, or buy a monitor with a nosehole in the middle..
laugh.gif

I already thought of that, as I typically think 200 steps ahead and am prepared for every circumstance which may arise, which is why I have so many hats already made... whoops, have to switch to a bigger one again.

-Thus endeth my posting of this running gag...

But I am still curious about the experience of others re shirt shrinkage.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fused collars continue to shrink even after 2-3 washings, because comercial laundries suck.

The person who takes the collar and places it on the buck before pressing should pull and stretch the collar, but they do not.

Here is a professional secret.
Take the collar. Hold it tightly at the ends of the collar band. pull the collar back and forth across a smoth surface like a bureau. This should give you a 1/2" more room.

Carl

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Take the collar. Hold it tightly at the ends of the collar band. pull the collar back and forth across a smoth surface like a bureau. This should give you a 1/2" more room.

I presume you mean to pull it over the edge of the bureau. Sort of like how you smooth out a dollar bill on the edge of a vending machine when it is too wrinkled to go into the machine. Thanks for the tip.

(By the way, likely e-mailing you tomorrow to make appointment, as part of my great shirt experiment
smile.gif
)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Washing at home, I find 80+% of the shrinkage occurs after the first wash with most of the rest on the second. Beware though, shrinkage is very variable between makers - Zegna hardly shrink at all, just tighten up to the perfect fit; whereas Ede shrink noticeably (not enough to need to take a larger than normal collar size though). You might just to experiment.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
all cotton products will shrink a total of arould 3-5% with in the first 3 washes -but it will also relax and give a little too just like vintage levis 501's. some fabrics will be treated before hand like with modern denim they call this process stanforization this will minamise all shrinking - some if continue to shrink is just basicly poor fabric!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the accepted way to avoid excessive shrinkage is to wash in lukewarm water (at the warmest) and hang to drip dry. Never, ever put them in a dryer. It's the dryer that does most of the shrinkage. I've washed my shirts this way (albeit in cold water) for ages and have had only minimal shrinkage over many washings--maybe 1% total.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Fused collars continue to shrink even after 2-3 washings, because comercial laundries suck.

The person who takes the collar and places it on the buck before pressing should pull and stretch the collar, but they do not.

Carl

Carl, that's a very useful tip. Can this procedure also be used on sleeves that have shortened up some? Somehow, I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics