• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how is the Levi's raw denim?

nmulax

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first pair of raw jeans. Sure my first choice would be a pair of Nudies; but nobody in Metro-Detroit carriers them, and I hate buying clothes online without trying them on first. And since each pair of jeans is slightly different, I really don't want to buy them online.

I was at the mall today and saw the Levi's Capital E line. The store employee said they won't shrink as much as the regular "shrink-to-fit" raw Levi's, and they looked a bit nicer as well. Does anyone have any experience with the Capital E raw denim? Are there any other companys that make quality raw jeans that may be a bit more accessible then Nudie?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a new line, lauched to replace the old "Levi's Premium". For around 1 bill or so, they aren't too bad. The denim is ok, and their selling point would be more on the fit. (I would belive so, as this was the case with the old Premium)

Reaction score
don't have experience with the Capital E's you mention, but my first pair of dry denim was a pair of Levi "hard jeans" circa 1997. It's a good place to begin your journey as all jeans are footnotes to Levi & Strauss dungarees.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Levi's Black Label?

Straight leg, non-selvage rigid denim, all black leather label on the back, seen at a couple of local hipster stores.

Just curious, not really intending to buy.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
hmmm... googled black label, but got nothing. I bounce the question back to you, Nick.
Maybe it's a Levi's Australia thing.

I'll check it out more thoroughly and maybe take some photos tomorrow.

nmulax

Reaction score
I actually just found a store nearby that has the APC New Standards in dry denim.
What's the better place to start my raw denim experience?

APC New Standards
or
Levi's Capital E

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmulax
I actually just found a store nearby that has the APC New Standards in dry denim.

APC New Standards
or
Levi's Capital E

APC is more european in its style, and Levi's is classic american. Take your pick, the quality of both is B+

cgeezy

Reaction score

APC New Standards
or
Levi's Capital E

NS are amazing. Sadly i can't compare to levi denim but you surely cannot go wrong with apc. justr make sure to size right

nmulax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cgeezy
NS are amazing. Sadly i can't compare to levi denim but you surely cannot go wrong with apc. justr make sure to size right

What's the "right size"?

I like my jeans slim... not so tight I can't move, but slim.
How much will raw denim like the apc's stretch out?
How much will they shrink in the wash? (I air-dry all my jeans, so don't worry about shrinking in the dryer)

tangerine

Reaction score
Allow me to direct your attention to APC Sizing - The Official Thread.

The short version is that you should buy 1 or 2 sizes down from your "normal" size, depending on how tight you like them. I bought one size down and could easily have gone another. They stretch more than many other brands of dry denim, in my experience.

nmulax

Reaction score
thanks for the link the the apc thread tangerine.

One last question... then I swear I'll stop.

What's the best way to make sure they wear in at the right places?
Should you just wear them straight off the rack?
Or should you wash or soak them once to take care of the initial shrinking.

I don't want to wash them after months of wear only to have the whiskers move up a few inches.

Brian SD

Reaction score
thanks for the link the the apc thread tangerine.

One last question... then I swear I'll stop.

What's the best way to make sure they wear in at the right places?
Should you just wear them straight off the rack?
Or should you wash or soak them once to take care of the initial shrinking.

I don't want to wash them after months of wear only to have the whiskers move up a few inches.

With APCs this won't happen because they won't shrink enough to distort the fading at all. The shrinkage will all be in length. You can wear them straight off the rack.

benchan

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Levi's Black Label?

Straight leg, non-selvage rigid denim, all black leather label on the back, seen at a couple of local hipster stores.
If I would venture a guess, I don't think that Levis Model you saw is called Black Label. Most likely a knockoff of Levi's Japan Redloop line. That's one of the few Levi's Models that has an all black leather label on the back.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benchan
If I would venture a guess, I don't think that Levis Model you saw is called Black Label. Most likely a knockoff of Levi's Japan Redloop line. That's one of the few Levi's Models that has an all black leather label on the back.
No, the swing tag definitely says "Levi's Black Label". And they're in reputable stores. I'll get a photo next time I'm in town.

I'm not crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads