• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is Johnston & Murphy Made in Italy?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been avoiding Johnston & Murphy all the time. But then I came across a pair of Johnston & Murphy made in Italy. Are these old stock? What's the quality? How should I compare it with other high end shoes?

Thank you

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that tells me how much I pay attention to J&M. So I guess the quality is still mediocre compared to other high ends shoes then..?

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
From the pictures alone it looks as if the leather would wrinkle just by looking at them.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think this has been asked elsewhere, but what the hell is "bondwelt" construction? It is a glued welt? Sounds strange, sounds even perhaps weaker than regular glued construction.

Niels

Reaction score
I had a pair of Johnston & Murphy, made in Italy, about 10 years ago. Quality was decent but it is not a high end shoe and definitely glued.

kusumek

Reaction score
Just because something is made in Italy, that does not mean it is of high quality.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kusumek
Just because something is made in Italy, that does not mean it is of high quality.

Debatable : http://images.google.com/images?q=ItalianGirls
laugh.gif

Anyway, how about J&M made in USA? Are they old stock?

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Last week I bought my son a slightly used pair of these shoes, black captoe, for $25. Decent looking shoes, combo rubber/leather soles. They are most definitely corrected grain, but they did take a decent shine, unlike some other CG shoes I've seen.

Regardless of where they're made, they seem like a full step below any AE I've worn or seen. But may be acceptable for the right price.

Closer

Reaction score
I had some J&M, another line of Johnston and Murpy, made in Italy, cap toes. This was pre-Styleforum, of course. They wrinkled very, very quickly, and just didnt look good. This was with shoe strees and proper care.

I have learned to never waste even 50.00 bucks on cheap shoes. Just put the 50.00 bucks toward some decent shoes.

J o s h

Reaction score
Digging this one out of its grave. Just got an e-mail from J&M touting the hand-crafted in Italy line. Safe to assume that nothing has changed for the better in the 7 years that this thread lay dormant?

Thanks,
J

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Digging this one out of its grave. Just got an e-mail from J&M touting the hand-crafted in Italy line. Safe to assume that nothing has changed for the better in the 7 years that this thread lay dormant?

Thanks,
J

Yeah...I caught it too in my spam mail..lol.

On the same note, I had 2 pairs of J&M before I moved on to AE (and thus this forum) and I never really had any complaints for the $2XX I paid for them. They served me very well for almost 2 pairs and I ended up selling off during a garage sale.

Even though my shoe wardrobe is pretty much overfull right now, I wouldn't mind picking up one of these made in Italy pairs for an excuse ;-).

J o s h

Reaction score
I have their Grayson chukka in that same color. Looks like the boot version of that shoe you're eyeing. I get compliments whenever I wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads