1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How is Johnston & Murphy Made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by onix, May 14, 2009.

1. onix

onix Senior member

So I have been avoiding Johnston & Murphy all the time. But then I came across a pair of Johnston & Murphy made in Italy. Are these old stock? What's the quality? How should I compare it with other high end shoes?

Thank you

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

3. onix

onix Senior member

Well, that tells me how much I pay attention to J&M. So I guess the quality is still mediocre compared to other high ends shoes then..?

4. 330CK

330CK Senior member

From the pictures alone it looks as if the leather would wrinkle just by looking at them.

5. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I think this has been asked elsewhere, but what the hell is "bondwelt" construction? It is a glued welt? Sounds strange, sounds even perhaps weaker than regular glued construction.

6. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

I had a pair of Johnston & Murphy, made in Italy, about 10 years ago. Quality was decent but it is not a high end shoe and definitely glued.

7. kusumek

kusumek Member

Just because something is made in Italy, that does not mean it is of high quality.

8. onix

onix Senior member

Just because something is made in Italy, that does not mean it is of high quality.

Debatable : http://images.google.com/images?q=ItalianGirls [​IMG]

Anyway, how about J&M made in USA? Are they old stock?

9. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

Last week I bought my son a slightly used pair of these shoes, black captoe, for $25. Decent looking shoes, combo rubber/leather soles. They are most definitely corrected grain, but they did take a decent shine, unlike some other CG shoes I've seen.

Regardless of where they're made, they seem like a full step below any AE I've worn or seen. But may be acceptable for the right price.

10. Closer

Closer Senior member

I had some J&M, another line of Johnston and Murpy, made in Italy, cap toes. This was pre-Styleforum, of course. They wrinkled very, very quickly, and just didnt look good. This was with shoe strees and proper care.

I have learned to never waste even 50.00 bucks on cheap shoes. Just put the 50.00 bucks toward some decent shoes.

11. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

Digging this one out of its grave. Just got an e-mail from J&M touting the hand-crafted in Italy line. Safe to assume that nothing has changed for the better in the 7 years that this thread lay dormant?

Thanks,
    J

12. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I caught it too in my spam mail..lol.

On the same note, I had 2 pairs of J&M before I moved on to AE (and thus this forum) and I never really had any complaints for the $2XX I paid for them. They served me very well for almost 2 pairs and I ended up selling off during a garage sale.

Even though my shoe wardrobe is pretty much overfull right now, I wouldn't mind picking up one of these made in Italy pairs for an excuse ;-).

13. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

I'm digging this one in particular.

[​IMG]

14. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

I have their Grayson chukka in that same color. Looks like the boot version of that shoe you're eyeing. I get compliments whenever I wear them.