• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is cigarette smoking viewed upon in your social circle/among your friends?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
new bar in nyc has a greenhouse ceiling which they open once in a blue moon but you can smoke there regardless. it's odd seeing people smoking indoors now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My locale banned indoor smoking, in all public places, two years ago. The immediate result was the closing of two fantastic cigar bars.

Government is such bullshit.

suzuka

Reaction score
smoking is frown upon among my friends too. I cannot understand the people that smoke inside their homes and cars without opening the windows.

epliohunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
ftfy

You must have gone to college in Europe.

Actually no... my college was more "elite" and in the city whereas my highschool was private but not particularly wealthy and in the suburbs.

The difference is striking. When I go out with highschool friends, let's say 8-10 of them, we are maximum two people that smoke (and most often I'm the only one). When I go out with my college friends, more than half of us smoke. And drink more. And those who don't smoke ask for cigarettes after a few drinks.

Also, my college friends dress better than my highschool friends. Does that means better dressed people have a tendency to smoke????????????????????????????? I think so!

Treen

Reaction score
My friends generally don't mind, despite most of them being non-smokers. I suppose with the indoor smoking ban here, it's less of a 'problem' for them. Even at parties or whatever at friends houses, they don't mind if people light up, as long as you stand next to a window.

My girlfriend smokes like a chimney, so if I feel the need when drinking or post-coital I bum one off her, which has led me to smoke more...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smoke or dont smoke, it really doesnt matter.. Quite a few smokers, mixed with some ex-smokers and some of them abstain completely. Most of them smoke cigarettes, with a couple of cigar smokers..

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Smoking is for fools, but I've given up trying to convince my friends to quit. I'm now accepting of who they are (i.e. fools who smoke!).

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I don't smoke.

My dad smokes, and most all of his do too.

Outside of my dad, the majority of the people in my social circle/friends were conservative christians who took temperance and health fairly seriously.

Very few of my friends smoke, but I am fine with the ones who do.

CMJTperry

Reaction score
The only thing I think of when I see people smoking is that they are idiots, uneducated and deserve what ever they get from it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMJTperry
The only thing I think of when I see people smoking is that they are idiots, uneducated and deserve what ever they get from it.

Yeah. It's impossible that it's a personal choice made with knowledge of the facts. People who smoke must not know that it causes cancer or any other health problems.
sarcasm.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not many of my friends smoke, but many acquaintances do. I smoke cigars every once in a while. A majority of my friends look down upon smoking, but I don't really mind it.

nakel

Reaction score
Cigarette, cigar, and pipe-smoking are so debilitating that the immediate cessation of the habit is always the first step of any program to improve one's health - even more important than vitamins, diet, or exercise
ffffuuuu.gif
buy pet products and supplies online

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads