• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How improtant are good fingernails?

AmericanDevil

Reaction score
Im looking for any habit breaking tip i can find for chewing nails. and Im wondering what anyone might think about the look of nicely manicured nails as opposed to chewed up ones.

Ramius

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with nicely clipped nails.  People tend to be very judgmental when it comes to aesthetics  (I know I am unfortunately).  When I meet a person, female or male, I have a tendency to look at a persons teeth, nails, etc and draw conclusions.  Is this wrong?  Yes to a degree, but that's human nature.  It would be nice to get a females opinion on this issue to add more credence to my post.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Well, I can't give you the female position except from what they tell me. My fingernails grow rather quickly. My poor brother's are even faster. This can lead to out-of-control nails at times. I'm very mindful of my appearance (in all aspects) and because of past insults, I always keep my nails well-trimmed. Personally, I think they look a lot nicer. Besides, you don't want to be mistaken as a drug user for having an extraordinarily long pinky nail.

As for nail biting, noooo, don't do that. Maybe to break it, you could put some foul-tasting substance on them, so when you bite them, you'll be sorry. Eventually, you'll get the hang of not biting. That's the best I can offer.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Moved to Body Consciousness -- as this is the closest topic to the forum title yet.

I agree that it is important to take care of your fingernails and that ugly nails are distracting and somewhat disconcerting. I'm sure to some people it could be extremely offensive. I have strong nails and they look perfect for a long time so I sometimes let them grow out a while, but life is easier when they are short. I do have to file them or they sort of chip and flake off.

As to quitting biting them, make sure to keep them short, and there is a "foul substance" sold for this purpose although I can't remember what it's called. I don't know that I'd want a "foul substance" on my fingertips because I sometimes have to hold food with them, but it shouldn't take long to quit I would think. Also, try to identify when or why you are biting them. Is it because they are overlong, nicked or annoying, or is it because you are nervous, bored, etc.? That can help you understand what you need to address in terms of stopping.

Michael

Reaction score
Get someone to show you a slide of what's under your fingernails. I chewed my nails for years and years, to nubs. See a slide, you'll quit. I promise. If you can actually get someone to take some specimen from under YOUR nail to see in a slide, then not only will you quit, but you'll probably want to run to the bathroom and chug a bottle of mouthwash because you know, well, that they're your nails.

gregory

Reaction score
Good fingernails are extremely extremely important, especially in certain circles of people. I remember being shocked looking at a fellow student across the table in my Economic Development seminar devoring his fingernails. He was TRYING HARD to chew them off, and seemed to be annoyed that they won't come off.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I stopped biting my fingernails about a year ago. For me, it was tougher than quitting smoking.

You just have to maintain awareness of what you are doing and make sure that you don't fall back into the habit of chewing on your nails when you get stressed.

I've also found that treating yourself to a manicure every once in a while is a good way to remind yourself not to bite. Once you've had your nails clipped and buffed, you'll realize how good they can look and it (for me at least) provides incentive not to bite them again.

Bradford

stache

Reaction score
When you get the urge to bite your nails try buffing them with cloth. It will give you something to do and you can do it discreetly in public. Sometimes when my nails get too long I will bite a corner and tear it off. I was astounded many years ago when a good friend of mine said he always admired by how nice my nails looked. lol.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gregory, you are really digging up the old stuff here. It still makes my teeth twist in their sockets to even think of nail biting, chewing, tearing off of corners, ughhhh... I have a childhood memory of tearing off half my thumbnail on a rivet on a playground toy, and ever since, fingernail issues really get to me. Please, just clip them as close as possible, and don't leave any extra.

I used to chew the corners of my fingers where it gets callused by the nails, but I decided to stop, so I did. I guess I'm just extra self-aware; I really don't have any habits like that anymore.

november

Reaction score
i need to stop biting my nails.
This is getting ridiculous. I don't think i had to cut my nails
for the past 2 years now...

Nonk

Reaction score
I am trying and currently succeeding to stop this awful habit that has afflicted me since childhood, -------and give up biting my nails
smile.gif
I agree with Bradford, I am just using old fashioned will power. It does not take too long for a bit of length to develop, and then you start to get the benefit of the results, so just tough it out for a few weeks. I am planning on treating myself to a luxury manicure when I reach the appropriate stage, as directed by my partner, so try that as an incentive. To answer the original question, of whether they are important or not, the clear answer is yes. I have felt ashamed of my nails for ages, but I can now do things that I have not done in years like open a can of pop without having to use my teeth (very attractive) or get a knife. I also find that once nails are to a minimum acceptable standard that people actually pay less attention to your hands. They have noticed the nice nails, registered them and move on rather than stare at your dreadful bitten to the quick stumps and wonder what sort of tortured crackpot you are underneath your smart suit. This is important for me as I have a very noticeable, large disfiguring scar on my right arm and wrist from an injury that I received in the line of duty that I am very conscious of and I do not want people to look at my hands for any length of time.

HeyYouItsMike

Reaction score
Definitely get that polish stuff that makes them taste awful. It worked for me. All I had to do was look at my nails with that stuff on them and I was shamed into quitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads