How important is shoe length for fit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Jun 20, 2009.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I have a fit question. I recently picked up a pair of C&Js in US size 9.5D. I generally take a 9D US. These shoes are on the 236 last, which is not particularly long. These shoes fit great in the width over my instep and the heel. I have a relatively high instep, so the lacing does not even close up on top. The length is kind of longer than my other shoes

My question comes down to: How important is the length of the shoe? If it fits everywhere else and does not slip, is the length that important?

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

not at all really, if i measured all of my shoes they would easily vary by 1" or more in length, but they all fit pretty well. Length has more to do with how they want the shoe to look then how they want it to fit.

3. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

If they don't slip, they sound fine. Your feet should be able to tell you.

4. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

The only reason that I am concerned is that I generally float between an 8.5 and a 9. A 9.5 is uncharted territory.

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

The main concern would be where they break - if the break isn't cutting into your toes, then you're probably ok.

6. up1bin

up1bin Well-Known Member

I had the same concern with my AE Fairfax - the width was actually on the snug side, but the length felt like I had too much room in the toe box. After many wearings, comfort is fine, but the creases on the toe area isnt as subtle as I would like... not sure if this is due to the length of the shoe.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Here are shoes that fit reasonably well with a very stylized toe:

[​IMG]

The main issue with dress shoes, as opposed to clown shoes, when it comes to added length is that if the extraneous added length is too much, you will crease it in a odd place.

It sounds like you are not at this extreme, though.

- B

8. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

What last are those on? That's a little too pointy for me.

9. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

length sorta matters since if its too long i find that the leather at the toes will crease more than they otherwise would

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

The main concern would be where they break - if the break isn't cutting into your toes, then you're probably ok.

This is exactly the problem I had with a pair of shoes on the 337 last-- there was no slippage, but with the extra length the shoes broke at an uncomfortable place across the middle of my big toe and I ended up selling them. Aside from that, if the extra length does not bother you aesthetically, it should not be an issue.

11. pdial

pdial Senior member

not at all really, if i measured all of my shoes they would easily vary by 1" or more in length, but they all fit pretty well. Length has more to do with how they want the shoe to look then how they want it to fit.

+1

12. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

The shoe sole will have an obvious wide point that is where the ball of the foot should fall. If the ball of the foot is there you are good. If not the shoe does not fit.

Perry

13. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

+1

If it fits everywhere except its a 9.5 instead of 9, why would you care really? The difference is less than half an inch.