• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How important is shoe length for fit?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fit question. I recently picked up a pair of C&Js in US size 9.5D. I generally take a 9D US. These shoes are on the 236 last, which is not particularly long. These shoes fit great in the width over my instep and the heel. I have a relatively high instep, so the lacing does not even close up on top. The length is kind of longer than my other shoes

My question comes down to: How important is the length of the shoe? If it fits everywhere else and does not slip, is the length that important?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not at all really, if i measured all of my shoes they would easily vary by 1" or more in length, but they all fit pretty well. Length has more to do with how they want the shoe to look then how they want it to fit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they don't slip, they sound fine. Your feet should be able to tell you.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main concern would be where they break - if the break isn't cutting into your toes, then you're probably ok.

up1bin

Reaction score
I had the same concern with my AE Fairfax - the width was actually on the snug side, but the length felt like I had too much room in the toe box. After many wearings, comfort is fine, but the creases on the toe area isnt as subtle as I would like... not sure if this is due to the length of the shoe.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here are shoes that fit reasonably well with a very stylized toe:

shop.clownshoes.jpg

The main issue with dress shoes, as opposed to clown shoes, when it comes to added length is that if the extraneous added length is too much, you will crease it in a odd place.

It sounds like you are not at this extreme, though.

- B

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
length sorta matters since if its too long i find that the leather at the toes will crease more than they otherwise would

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
The main concern would be where they break - if the break isn't cutting into your toes, then you're probably ok.

This is exactly the problem I had with a pair of shoes on the 337 last-- there was no slippage, but with the extra length the shoes broke at an uncomfortable place across the middle of my big toe and I ended up selling them. Aside from that, if the extra length does not bother you aesthetically, it should not be an issue.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
not at all really, if i measured all of my shoes they would easily vary by 1" or more in length, but they all fit pretty well. Length has more to do with how they want the shoe to look then how they want it to fit.

+1

pkincy

Reaction score
The shoe sole will have an obvious wide point that is where the ball of the foot should fall. If the ball of the foot is there you are good. If not the shoe does not fit.

Perry

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

+1

If it fits everywhere except its a 9.5 instead of 9, why would you care really? The difference is less than half an inch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics