• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I'd like a pair of jeans to fit

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been trying to describe how I want a pair of jeans to fit, but I don't think I do a good job of it. Here is a picture from Barneys web store:

http://216.74.138.233/images/barneys..._69382_ZM1.jpg

These are PDC SLM in 1yr. They don't have my size, and I would rather have a raw or one wash jean, from a maker who currently has a better reputation than PDC. What should I go for? I like how they are fitted, but no part of the jeans are tight or go for that emaciated emo rocker look, which I don't do well, lol. They are very straight, but don't have a huge leg opening, so they stack well on low chelseas. Maybe one of the APC models, NS or Straight? Or are there others, I'm open to suggestions. Also, if you think the NS, what size would I go for to ultimately have that look if I am a 31 in RRDS and a 32 in PDC? I would, as usual, wear the jeans a few times to stretch them, then wash cold and hang dry. Thanks.

BourbonAndPeanuts

Reaction score
PC is always a good choice. The NS and Rescue are slim but not skin tight. There is a great thread that will help you with cuts and sizes. I think it called "Official APC sizing thread."

You might also look at the Earnest Sewn Fulton which comes in a undistressed model (not selvedge though). I don't have personal experience with it, but if you like PDC, Earnest Sewn is similar but better quality.

Hope that helps.

Ahaz

Reaction score
To me, that fit looks pretty slim in the hip and thigh, and fairly straight from the knee down. Maybe a mild taper. Pretty basic fit, and one that I really like. You have lots of options in my opinion, and they're all going to depend on how you size them.

I think a Sven would fit the bill from the knee up, but might be a bit wider at the hem that you want. It's about 8 inches on my 29x34. The Slim Jim would be another candidate - maybe even the best one. I would stick to your true waist size for them, though, if you're going dry or washed. I think Chim can back me up on that.

The Acne Mic is anothe great straight cut, but is more narrow at the hem than either the Sven or the Jim. Might be too skinny for your tastes, but it's my favorite jean at the moment.

I would rule out the California for being too anti-fit and tapered. The New Standard would be too tapered and tight in general, unless you didn't size down as much as is 'normally' recommended. Be aware, I tried on a pair of 28 NS (true 30 here) and they were too big by over an inch in the waist. To get them to look like the jeans in the picture, you would have them fairly big in the waist.

I think most repros would be too relaxed for you, unless you're a bigger size. Minya is a 32 inch waist, iirc, and all of his repros look ******* sick on him. Very nice, straight cuts. Not so much me, they look much more relaxed or baggy. Check out pictues of Tangerine wearing his Fullcount 1108 for another great example of repros looking hot.

Wow, that sounded gay.
inlove.gif

How tall are you? Shopjake has the straight leg Corpus on sale for $75, but only in sizes 28, 36 and 38. They're also limited to a 32 inch inseam.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
To me, that fit looks pretty slim in the hip and thigh, and fairly straight from the knee down. Maybe a mild taper. Pretty basic fit, and one that I really like. You have lots of options in my opinion, and they're all going to depend on how you size them.

I think a Sven would fit the bill from the knee up, but might be a bit wider at the hem that you want. It's about 8 inches on my 29x34. The Slim Jim would be another candidate - maybe even the best one. I would stick to your true waist size for them, though, if you're going dry or washed. I think Chim can back me up on that.

The Acne Mic is anothe great straight cut, but is more narrow at the hem than either the Sven or the Jim. Might be too skinny for your tastes, but it's my favorite jean at the moment.

I would rule out the California for being too anti-fit and tapered. The New Standard would be too tapered and tight in general, unless you didn't size down as much as is 'normally' recommended. Be aware, I tried on a pair of 28 NS (true 30 here) and they were too big by over an inch in the waist. To get them to look like the jeans in the picture, you would have them fairly big in the waist.

I think most repros would be too relaxed for you, unless you're a bigger size. Minya is a 32 inch waist, iirc, and all of his repros look ******* sick on him. Very nice, straight cuts. Not so much me, they look much more relaxed or baggy. Check out pictues of Tangerine wearing his Fullcount 1108 for another great example of repros looking hot.

Wow, that sounded gay.
inlove.gif

How tall are you? Shopjake has the straight leg Corpus on sale for $75, but only in sizes 28, 36 and 38. They're also limited to a 32 inch inseam.

Maybe the Svens woudl work. I feel that, because I have bigger thighs, the Jims might be a bit tight on me. I think I might wait till the fall ones are actually in stores, so I can decide between the Japanese DS version, or the Flame version. While I like the Japanese on my Ralfs, maybe I want something a little different this time, but I'll just check 'em both out.

viking_mike

Reaction score
why do you plan on washing your raw denim so frequently? the apc will look pretty shity if you was that often...they will get really light blue. iirc you said you would break in you rrdg and just wash your rrds...why not the other way around? rrds look amazing if you wear them HARD.

chim

Reaction score
I agree with Ahaz in that I think the Nudie Slim Jim will fit pretty much exactly like that if you buy your NATURAL, or even size up 1 waist size.

APC New Standards will be significantly tighter than that picture, but it's hard to tell how you want jeans to fit just by looking at a frontal pic. The NS is very "fitted" looking, but won't look painted on tight like the more slim jeans such as Hobokens or Thin Finns. Its my favorite jean and if you're gonna get them, size 2 down.

For reference;

I have : Nudie Reg Ralf @ 28 (loose fit, looks really relaxed on me)

Slim Jim @ 28 (pretty much a slim relaxed fit, if you have thighs it will look exactly like the pictures)

APC NS @ 25 (perfect)
Natural waist size of ~ 27 and everything else i own is in 27. (such as diors, etc.)

hope this helps

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I would look into the Jean Shop rocker cut. It is fairly slim with a very slight taper. I have a size 28 and am typically a 30. The pair I have almost fit identical to that picture, plus they come with a selvedge crotch and a distinct leather patch.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I think the Nudie bootcut ola would be what you are after. I own a pair of those and a pair of slim jims and they bootcut ola definately seem looser in the thighs. They are a low-rise pant but it's not too low by any means. The bootcut is really subtle as well. I've been really happy with the fit of mine.

bigsink

Reaction score
wow those jeans are tight.
they will make you look fat..if you have a lil meat on ya.

viking_mike

Reaction score
you think bootcut ola is thight? have you ever seen cheap monday?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads